U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2011, 11:42 PM

1,363 posts, read 1,623,065 times
I've noticed what the OP is saying as well traveling to Ocean City and stopping at various restaurants and seeing that the natives dress very differently than DC/Baltimore folks. One the Eastern Shore, Black kids dress very behind the times and dress like DC/Baltimore/NY did 5 or 6+ years ago still wearing extremely baggy/long clothes and unauthentic flea market looking clothing (i.e. fake Polo and fake Jordans in weird colorways). The Eastern Shore is very much like the rural South; like the Carolinas. Extremely slow and country. DC and Baltimore are the exact opposite. DC and Baltimore are huge centers of wealth for the Black community although both cities have their well-publicized problems with crime and poverty. DC is home of the federal government which is the biggest employer of Black people in the United States (as well as being the biggest employer in the country, period). DC always tops the "best places for Black people to live" lists.

Poverty on the Eastern Shore is more straight-forward. There isn't much of anything on the Eastern Shore except cornfields, farms and wide open space with a few tiny towns few and far between. Because of this, a real economy of any kind is virtually nonexistent; especially compared to major cites like Baltimore and DC. Many Eastern Shore towns are actually statistically more dangerous than Baltimore or DC because crimes on the Eastern Shore are purely opportunistic crimes driven by the hunger of poverty, whereas the crime in Baltimore and DC revolves mostly around those involved in the drug trade. Poverty in the Black communities in DC and Baltimore is more complex because even though many poor Blacks are "cut off from the system" in these cities, DC is the cocaine capital of the country and Baltimore is the heroin cap. If you can't manage to get a good job in DC or Baltimore, you can always be a pusher. Sad but true. The underground economy of drugs is a huge employer in both DC and Baltimore. This is the reason why everyone in DC and Baltimore manages to wear the latest $200 ($400+ online) Nike Foamposites when ever they come out.

But it is not just in the Black community or the Eastern Shore. The vast majority of the rest of the country does not live as well as the Baltimore-Washington corridor. DC has the highest median incomes of any metro in the nation. Drive for a few hours in any direction and you will see people who are visibly poorer than people in the DC/Baltimore area.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 10-21-2011 at 12:10 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 06:41 AM

1,429 posts, read 1,752,782 times
Default boredatwork

I though Atlanta was the cocaine capital

Old 06-22-2012, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 2,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
(I MADE THIS POST TO VENT ABOUT SOMETHING THATS BEEN BOTHERING ME FOR A WHILE NOW, FEEL FREE TO COMMENT LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINION)
MARYLAND ALONG WITH GEORGIA IS HOME TO SOME OF THE WEALTHIEST AND MOST AFFLUENT BLACKS IN THE COUNTRY. BALTIMORE CITY, BALTIMORE COUNTY, AND PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY HOST THE LARGEST AFRICAN AMERICAN POPULATIONS IN THE STATE.

PG COUNTY IS THE RICHEST PREDOMINANTLY BLACK COUNTY IN THE COUNTRY!! LARGELY DUE TO ITS PROXIMITY TO WASHINGTON, D.C. THOUSANDS OF BLACK GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES RESIDE IN THE COUNTY!!

BALTIMORE COUNTY WHILE NOT BEING PREDOMINANTLY BLACK IS HOME TO A VERY LARGE POPULATION OF WEALTHY AFRICAN AMERICANS IN AREAS SUCH AS RANDALLSTOWN, CATONSVILLE, PIKESVILLE, AND OWINGS MILLS!!

BALTIMORE CITY WHILE DESPITE HAVING ITS PROBLEMS WITH CRIME IS HOME TO MANY BLACK POLITICIANS, AND PROFESSIONALS, THE CITY IS RAN BY AFRICAN-AMERICANS FROM THE MAYORS OFFICE DOWN!!

I SPEND A LARGE PORTION OF MY TIME ON THE EASTERN SHORE THE SALISBURY,MD AREA (EDUCATIONAL REASONS)

SINCE I STARTED COMING TO THE SHORE I IMMEDIATELY NOTICED THE LACK OF BLACK WEALTH!! IDK HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE BEEN TO THE LOWER EASTERN SHORE, BUT QUITE FRANKLY ITS SAD TO SEE THE WEALTH GAP BETWEEN LOCAL AFRICAN AMERICANS AND WHITES ON THE SHORE!!!

COMING FROM THE WESTERN SHORE, ITS NO SURPRISE TO MEET A BLACK DOCTOR, LAWYER, SCHOOL PRINCIPAL, COLLEGE PROFESSOR, MILITARY OFFICER, OR ANY OTHER HIGH PRESTIGE HIGH SALARY PROFESSIONAL, BUT ON THE SHORE SUCCESSFUL EDUCATED AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE SCARCE!! USUALLY IF YOU ARE FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO MEET A WELL TO DO BLACK PERSON ON THE SHORE THERE USUALLY FROM BALTIMORE, PG, OR DC AND ONLY RESIDE HERE FOR EMPLOYMENT!!! YOU MAY THINK THE LACK OF BLACK WEALTH IS DUE TO THE LACK OF HIGH PAYING JOBS....FALSE!!! THE LARGEST EMPLOYER ON THE SHORE IS THE PERDUE CHICKEN COMPANY, AND OTHER ORGANIZATIONS SUCH AS THE UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE, SALISBURY UNIVERSITY, PENINSULA REGIONAL HOSPITAL!

ON THE SHORE IGNORANCE AMONG BLACK YOUTH RUNS RAMPANT, CRIME RATES IN SALISBURY, MD WHICH IS THE LARGEST CITY ON THE EASTERN SHORE ARE OUTRAGEOUS, AND THE SO CALLED THUGS AND CRIMINALS SEEM LIKE THEY LEARNED THERE WHOLE SWAGGER FROM HBO'S "THE WIRE"!!! THE EDUCATION SYSTEM IS SUB-PAR THE ONLY GOOD SCHOOLS ARE IN PREDOMINATELY WEALTHY WHITE AREAS!! AND OPEN AIRED RACISM RUNS RAMPANT!!

HATE CRIME THAT TOOK PLACE LESS THAN 5 MILES FROM AN HBCU UMES!!!
Racism/Hate Crime News | Trio Arrested for Racist Graffiti in Somerset...

IV'E PERSONALLY EXPERIENCED RACISM IN THE WORKPLACE FROM WHITE COWORKERS WHO WERE INTIMIDATED BY ME DUE TO THE FACT THAT I AM COLLEGE EDUCATED. EVERYDAY I SHOWED UP TO WORK I HAD TO DEAL WITH UNDERHANDED COMMENTS ABOUT HOW EDUCATION DOESN'T REALLY MEAN ANYTHING, FROM MY WHITE NRA MEMBER, PICKUP TRUCK DRIVING SUPERVISOR WHO GOT HIS JOB BECAUSE HE WAS RELATED TO SOMEONE IN THE COUNTY GOVERNMENT!! ACTUALLY NO ONE IN THE MANAGEMENT STAFF HELD A DEGREE EXCEPT FOR THE HEAD BOSS WHO IS FROM WASHINGTON D.C. AND OPENLY ADMITTED TO ME AND MY CO-WORKER THAT THERE WAS A VERY STRONG ELEMENT OF RACISM ON THE SHORE!!! I COULD GO ON FOREVER ABOUT THIS!! BUT ALL IT BOILS DOWN TOO IS THE FACT THAT A LOT OF BLACKS ON THE SHORE HAVE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO BEING SECOND CLASS CITIZENS LIVING IN THE SHADOWS OF THEIR WHITE COUNTERPARTS! BEING A YOUNG BLACK MAN FROM "ACROSS THE BRIDGE" I GREW UP WITH THE MENTALITY THAT NO ONE IS BETTER THAN ME AND I CAN ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING!! I CANT SAY THE SAME FOR MANY BLACKS ON THE SHORE, WHO HAVE GROWN ACCUSTOMED TO WORKING AT WAL-MART AND BEING CAFETERIA WORKERS FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES, WHICH ARE HONEST LIVINGS, BUT YOU SHOULD WANT MORE OUT OF LIFE!!

TO WRAP THIS UP, IT ABSOLUTELY AMAZES ME THAT AFRICAN AMERICANS ARE BEING TREATED LIKE THIS ESPECIALLY IN MARYLAND!! A STATE WITH SUCH A STRONG FORWARD THINKING BLACK COMMUNITY!! THE TWO SHORES IN MARYLAND ARE POLAR OPPOSITES, AND I THANK GOD I'M FROM THE WEST!! AFRICAN-AMERICANS ON THE EASTERN SHORE HAVE FELL VICTIM TO INSTITUTIONALIZED RACISM AND OPPRESSION!!! IF YOU DISAGREE ASK ANY BLACK STUDENT AT UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND EASTERN SHORE OR SALISBURY UNIVERSITY!!!

LINK TO SUPPORT MY OPINION MUST READ!!
Maryland County suffering rampant racism, says NAACP/ACLU report on The Louisiana Weekly
What you have to remember is that the Eastern Shore was a slaveholding area. After slavery was abolished, many of Maryland's lynchings took place on the Eastern Shore, especially Somerset and Wicomico counties. The Eastern Shore is a largely conservative Republican area which supported the Confederate army, so I am not surprised to hear about all the racism. All I can say is come on back to central Maryland, my friend.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM

5 posts, read 2,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
this is very true, i do know a few well educated guys down here on the shore who graduated from salisbury university, and all of them are planning moves to washington and baltimore!!!
I would not want to live on the shore.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:11 AM

6 posts, read 7,082 times
I am late, but wanted to respond to this thread. I am a native Eastern Shore girl who lived in Baltimore to attend Morgan, have very best friends in PG/DC, went to grad school at UGA in Athens and currently reside in Atlanta. I have really good friends from The Sip, New Orleans, and Alabama. I've seen my share of poverty and racism in all areas. However I would never compare the shore to racism in the South. I never experienced it growing up and in fact I as a black female was my class president and held various other positions for years at a school that was 60/40 white and black. I knew many African Americans that held an office and were educated. The graduation rate on the shore is actually higher than Baltimore or DC. I was afforded the same opportunities as the next person and I was very comfortable anywhere I went on the shore. My Closest friends growing up were white. So before anyone goes off about someone else's area, don't generalize, as its a different experience for all.

True it is poor. It probably will always be that way, just like any other non metropolitan area in the US. however my family always took care of themselves just like most do. Hardworking and had their own. Its a beautiful place and much more peaceful than any other place I know. There is also a strong AA history there. I can date my ancestors back to the 1700s. Not sure many can do that. Also want to add that majority of the people white or black are good people who a much more approachable and willing to help than anyone near the city. I'm not sure where the racist idea comes from but racism is alive everywhere. But my experience... Eastern shore is a lot better off than many places I've seen or been to along the eastern side of the US.

I do not live there because I want to experience other areas. Would I go back? Sure when I'm tired of exploring other areas. But I had a much better experience than most have portrayed on this forum. It's another way of life and some people need to look at other areas outside of Maryland to realize its not bad.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:58 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,184,286 times
MOST affluent and educated black people don't want to live in the country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland