Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 5,608 times

Advertisements

My husband recently got a job in Frederick. We moved here a few months ago. Now, there is a job I'm interested in that is in Baltimore.

I am considering doing the commute from Frederick to Baltimore everyday, as flex time is offered, and I could work 7-3.

However, where would be the best place to live between Frederick and Baltimore?

We are young. No kids, and a little dog. We love living in Frederick, as we are right in downtown and are within walking distance to shops and restaurants. We'd like to move somewhere with a hip little downtown area. Doesn't have to be as big, but I just don't want to have to drive everywhere.

Any suggestions? Oh, and we are paying about $1000 a month for a 2 bedroom not including utilities, and would be trying to find somewhere in a similar price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:35 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Well, there are no real cities between Frederick and Baltimore with a downtown, except Ellicott City, which is probably too pricey for you. You have some suburban concentrations like Sykesville, Columbia, Eldersburg, Mt. Airy,etc, but none have "downtowns" like Frederick and Baltimore.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:17 PM

335 posts, read 699,182 times
Mt. Airy

Old 04-02-2011, 06:38 PM

54 posts, read 175,000 times
Sykesville has a quaint little "downtown" but most of your shopping, etc. won't be within walking distance. You'd have to drive 2 or 3 miles to Eldersburg for that. Great area though, I highly recommend it.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:50 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,949,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivatoria View Post
My husband recently got a job in Frederick. We moved here a few months ago. Now, there is a job I'm interested in that is in Baltimore.

I am considering doing the commute from Frederick to Baltimore everyday, as flex time is offered, and I could work 7-3.

However, where would be the best place to live between Frederick and Baltimore?

We are young. No kids, and a little dog. We love living in Frederick, as we are right in downtown and are within walking distance to shops and restaurants. We'd like to move somewhere with a hip little downtown area. Doesn't have to be as big, but I just don't want to have to drive everywhere.

Any suggestions? Oh, and we are paying about $1000 a month for a 2 bedroom not including utilities, and would be trying to find somewhere in a similar price range.
good news greyhound goes from federick to baltimore for $500 every 2 months u too can use greyhound in the US and canada unlimited times

Old 04-02-2011, 07:49 PM

244 posts, read 572,747 times
Mt. Airy would be my first choice, but since Frederick is the second largest city in MD to Baltimore, you won't find another downtown like it unless you go to Salisbury, which is a BIT far (and the 3rd largest/most populated city). :-) My brother and sister in law lived in Mt. Airy until they had their twins and were relocated for his job. They loved it, however they owned a home. I am not that familiar with rentals in Carroll County. New Market is smaller and a cute town. However, Columbia definitely has more to do...a nice mall, planned communities and many rentals to choose from!

Old 04-02-2011, 07:59 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,756,930 times
I wouldn't consider New Market, went there two weeks ago and it was so sad - all the shops are closed up. I honestly don't know Mt. Airy but Columbia might fit the bill as there is more going on there.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:01 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
My guess is that New Market's shops are spring and summer season only. Not alot of people walking around to trade antiques in the winter. But maybe not, I haven't driven through in years.

I am not sure how Salisbury entered the conversation. It is on the other side of the state and not the third largest city in the state. It is smaller than Rockville, Gaithersburg, Hagerstown, Annapolis, Bowie, and many, many other incorporated locations.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:24 AM

382 posts, read 1,205,274 times
Quote:
This is going to be the hard part. There are lots of good places to choose from that would put you within decent driving distance of both cities, but to be able to walk to shopping or areas of activity.... about the only places I can think of are the village centers in Columbia.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,756,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
My guess is that New Market's shops are spring and summer season only. Not alot of people walking around to trade antiques in the winter. But maybe not, I haven't driven through in years. .
No, sadly they are permanently closed up, many building for sale in foreclosure, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland