Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 AM

70 posts, read 136,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
6:00AM-6:30AM traffic is not bad at all no matter what time of the year, especially if you are traveling on the western bridge because it is 3 lanes. Getting home, is another story

So how long does it typically take to get home? 2 + hours? Because, truthfully, that's how long it takes him to get home from DC on the bus out here in the boonies of Virginia.

What is my worst case scenario with the bridge and how often does it happen? Every day? Just in the summer months or is it every day at rush hour?

Would really like to get some feedback from someone who uses the bus. Is there anyone on the boards who I could message, I wonder... ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 02:27 PM

318 posts, read 761,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatSRVA View Post
So how long does it typically take to get home? 2 + hours? Because, truthfully, that's how long it takes him to get home from DC on the bus out here in the boonies of Virginia.

What is my worst case scenario with the bridge and how often does it happen? Every day? Just in the summer months or is it every day at rush hour?

Would really like to get some feedback from someone who uses the bus. Is there anyone on the boards who I could message, I wonder... ?
During the peak summer months you are going to have a lot of traffic heading to the shore. Bumper to bumper for miles at times. During the fall, winter and even spring it is not bad. Traffic has definitely picked up from what it was in the winter but there are still no delays. I think the worst months are June/July.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:06 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback. I grew up in Queen Annes Co., but I haven't lived on the Shore in 14 years I was just trying to see how much worse it had become. From my youth I remember the Bay Bridge was typically terrible in the summer months on Fridays and the weekends, but most of the time it wasn't too terribly miserable.

Northern Virginia/DC metro area traffic is bad too, so it takes a lot to shock me traffic-wise anymore... Just a sign of the times, I guess.

Thanks again! (Would still love to hear from anyone who takes the bus. Bueller? Bueller?...)

Old 04-04-2011, 03:08 PM

Hello there!

Do you use this bus route? What's it like? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
yeah its called 950/922 MTA commuter THEY HAVE HOV TRAFFIC IMMUNITY

Old 04-04-2011, 04:39 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Hello there!

Maryland Transit Administration (http://mta.maryland.gov/services/commuterbus/schedulesSystemMaps/index.cfm - broken link)

The schedule of 922/950 is usually absolute!!!! cause once it hits rte 50 HOV area traffic no longer matters!!!!
They have restrooms the seats are very comfortable. The bus sometimes moves faster than CARS!!!! also click the link for schedule info. I wish it ran 7 days but it just doesnt!!! O well but it will get you to and from work. the seats recline. I would recommend the earlier trips. I however am a transit buff as my name says that is why I know about commuter buses. also the 921 from annopolis run by dillions runs to new carrollton metro click here for info http://dillonbus.com/pdf/D921schedule.pdf its the only one with bidirectional reverse service however. on ICC 2 new rtes began the 201 and 202

Last edited by qjbusmaster; 04-04-2011 at 04:57 PM..

Old 04-04-2011, 05:02 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,187 times
Quote:
Hello there!

HOV lane immunity begins after 301 up untill I-495 for 950/922 I would assume they are ALL CROWDED

Old 04-04-2011, 11:14 PM

Thanks! Very helpful.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,583 times
I'll have to check into the commuter buses because I might even be able to do that in the summer months. Usually it's just Fridays and week-ends that the Bridge is packed. The other days are fine. If you're going to live in Queen Anne's Co then it probably won't be 2 hours. I lived right across from the Bridge on the Western side and it took me about 1 hour when I worked in DC. So I would think that it would take your hubs about 1 hour without the bus and maybe 35 to 40 mins with the bus. Not bad.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 AM

Just one thing to take into consideration when thinking of the bus is which stop you will use once you're downtown. My husband had the bad luck of having to work on a project at the DOJ - which was the very last stop on the bus route. It meant an additional 45 minutes worth of travel time. It took him no time to get to the city line, but the stopping and starting and snaking his way through town and all the various stops made for a longer trip.

Unfortunately, he was also the first pick up in the evening, so he'd have to stop and go all the way through town again until they hit 66. He spent more time on the bus than almost any other rider on his route.

But truthfully, he still didn't hate it. He got a lot done. And he said if he was actually driving that route every day his stress level would have tripled.

Just food for thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
I'll have to check into the commuter buses because I might even be able to do that in the summer months. Usually it's just Fridays and week-ends that the Bridge is packed. The other days are fine. If you're going to live in Queen Anne's Co then it probably won't be 2 hours. I lived right across from the Bridge on the Western side and it took me about 1 hour when I worked in DC. So I would think that it would take your hubs about 1 hour without the bus and maybe 35 to 40 mins with the bus. Not bad.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:03 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,583 times
Quote:
Just one thing to take into consideration when thinking of the bus is which stop you will use once you're downtown. My husband had the bad luck of having to work on a project at the DOJ - which was the very last stop on the bus route. It meant an additional 45 minutes worth of travel time. It took him no time to get to the city line, but the stopping and starting and snaking his way through town and all the various stops made for a longer trip.

Unfortunately, he was also the first pick up in the evening, so he'd have to stop and go all the way through town again until they hit 66. He spent more time on the bus than almost any other rider on his route.

But truthfully, he still didn't hate it. He got a lot done. And he said if he was actually driving that route every day his stress level would have tripled.

Just food for thought...
That's the reason why I've never taken commuter buses. Just looked at there seems to be alot of medical biller positions opening up again in the DC area. So I'm going to apply and maybe just drive like I always did. I was always lucky enough, though, that my employer would let me have off hours so I could miss the Bridge traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland