Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:15 PM

4 posts, read 10,222 times

Advertisements

I'm afraid for my kids and other kids in the area when I saw this for the first time.

YouTube - Fix Prince Georges County, MD Ep 1: Homeless Encampment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 06:28 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangofickle View Post
I'm afraid for my kids and other kids in the area when I saw this for the first time.

YouTube - Fix Prince Georges County, MD Ep 1: Homeless Encampment
welcome to the new america. you will start seeing more "shanty" towns located outside of major cities. that's what happens when people lose jobs and don't have any money to live on. it's also what happens when you don't allow people with criminal records opportunities for employment. no one wants to see this near their homes or in their neighborhood but at the end of the day, the most basic principle of humanity is that of survival. i really can't be mad at that person for doing what they need to do in order to survive. where should they go? if they tried to get some sort of "welfare" or public assistance people would complain about "their tax dollars" being spent on that sort of thing. it's a catch 22 really. damned if you do, damned if you don't. you can't just throw poor people on a boat and ship them to some third world country.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:55 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
The guys/gals gotta live somewhere!!Why are you afraid for your kids?? Just because someones homeless, doesn't mean they're pedophiles or criminals any more than the guy who lives in the fancy house next door.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
welcome to the new america. you will start seeing more "shanty" towns located outside of major cities. that's what happens when people lose jobs and don't have any money to live on. it's also what happens when you don't allow people with criminal records opportunities for employment. no one wants to see this near their homes or in their neighborhood but at the end of the day, the most basic principle of humanity is that of survival. i really can't be mad at that person for doing what they need to do in order to survive. where should they go? if they tried to get some sort of "welfare" or public assistance people would complain about "their tax dollars" being spent on that sort of thing. it's a catch 22 really. damned if you do, damned if you don't. you can't just throw poor people on a boat and ship them to some third world country.
I agree but we don't have to accept it and at the same time there is a solution to the problem -not just dump them off in the middle of the woods with tents.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
The guys/gals gotta live somewhere!!Why are you afraid for your kids?? Just because someones homeless, doesn't mean they're pedophiles or criminals any more than the guy who lives in the fancy house next door.
Most homeless have options but won't take them because of the restrictions asked of them when entering a homeless shelter i.e. drinking and drug intake. They don't have to live in the middle of the woods. Pedophiles in the neighborhood? At least I'll know who they are if they had criminal records through the state registry even still I don't let my kids go over to anyone's house.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:09 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,264,630 times
I've recommended this to people on here who were in desperate circumstances. Shelters are few and could be full. There may also be people in them this person isn't comfortable being around or he wants to maintain some sort of independence. A better solution is a campground which is cheap for tents even if he has to do a few chores. It's sad really, living in the woods is not unknown here in Fl either.

You could ask the police to check him out to see if he's a danger and let you know.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:36 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangofickle View Post
Most homeless have options but won't take them because of the restrictions asked of them when entering a homeless shelter i.e. drinking and drug intake. They don't have to live in the middle of the woods. Pedophiles in the neighborhood? At least I'll know who they are if they had criminal records through the state registry even still I don't let my kids go over to anyone's house.
clearly you have no clue on what it means to be either homeless or dirt poor. first off, you assume that just because one is homeless they are some how addicted to drugs or alcohol. you couldn't be any more wrong. do you know how bad this economy is? do you know how many "working" people are 1 or 2 paychecks away from being out on the street? it has nothing to do with drugs or alcohol. instead of making up all these crazy scenarios in your mind, why don't you go have a conversation with the guy instead of sneaking and peaking through his stuff when he's away. that's what a real man would do. if you are so concerned. do you think EVERY homeless person has the option of living in a shelter? for every 1 shelter, there's probably 1,000 homeless people who can't get in it. additionally, as i've said earlier, when people are resourceful such as this man is, you have a problem with him being too close to you but when they ask for some assistance you have a problem with your tax dollars going toward "welfare". if he's a convicted pedophile and he's not registered and checking in than he can be put in jail. it's that simple. just because someone is homeless does not mean they are immoral. so what is your suggest to the problem? where should he go? an inner city corner or under an inner city bridge? you don't have a problem with him being homeless, you just don't want a homeless person out in your burb. i get it. not in my back yard.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
clearly you have no clue on what it means to be either homeless or dirt poor. first off, you assume that just because one is homeless they are some how addicted to drugs or alcohol.
Ok I left out a small detail. My neighbors have known the homeless man living in this tent and number of them are aware he has a drug issue. He is an aggressive pan handler and can be seen every day at a location near his tent.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:30 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Obamavilles

Old 04-17-2011, 07:14 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,480,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Obamavilles
We need to give Obama more time.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland