U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 10:12 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,404,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Define "run down". That area has remained "old" Ocean City with some of the original buildings still standing. For one reason or another the buildings have generally remained low-rise. And somewhat funky. That's one of the attractions of that part of town.
Agree with NBP. I happen to like that area--feels nostalgic to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 12:33 AM

4,682 posts, read 7,295,749 times
I actually have a question about the area too. I've been to Ocean City before (I live in Baltimore) but this year my family wants to visit Assateague Island. Anyone know if the best part of the national park is closer to Ocean City or to Chincoteague, Virginia? We're trying to decide where to find a motel.

But to the OP, Assateague Island is a nice national park/seashore right next to Ocean City. I think the beach is better than anywhere in New Jersey (they don't call it dirty Jersey or America's armpit for nothin and the water is probably as dirty as Mexico). I seen Venice Beach but it was a rainy and chilly day despite being in August so can't really judge that fairly. I personally prefer beaches in the Carolinas like the Outer Banks or Myrtle Beach over Ocean City.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:20 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,020,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I actually have a question about the area too. I've been to Ocean City before (I live in Baltimore) but this year my family wants to visit Assateague Island. Anyone know if the best part of the national park is closer to Ocean City or to Chincoteague, Virginia? We're trying to decide where to find a motel.

But to the OP, Assateague Island is a nice national park/seashore right next to Ocean City. I think the beach is better than anywhere in New Jersey (they don't call it dirty Jersey or America's armpit for nothin and the water is probably as dirty as Mexico). I seen Venice Beach but it was a rainy and chilly day despite being in August so can't really judge that fairly. I personally prefer beaches in the Carolinas like the Outer Banks or Myrtle Beach over Ocean City.
The National Park is closer to Ocean City than Chincoteague, but the Chinoteague National Wildlife Refuge is also on Assateague Island, but closer to Chincoteague (confused yet?).

Chincoteague is not a beachfront town, it's a small town on an island connected to the ocean by a few miles drive or pleasant bike ride. I like it a lot, though you want to get there early in the summer before the bugs drive you nuts. The wildlife refuge has more opportunities for walking and birdwatching than the national park, IMHO.

So if you want to visit a national park but also stay on the ocean, go to OC. If you want to stay in a nice small town but have to travel to get to the beach, try Chincoteague.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:31 AM

83 posts, read 17,745 times
I have decided to visit Atlantic City instead. Thanks to everyone for the responses.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:48 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,374,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
The National Park is closer to Ocean City than Chincoteague, but the Chinoteague National Wildlife Refuge is also on Assateague Island, but closer to Chincoteague (confused yet?).

Chincoteague is not a beachfront town, it's a small town on an island connected to the ocean by a few miles drive or pleasant bike ride. I like it a lot, though you want to get there early in the summer before the bugs drive you nuts. The wildlife refuge has more opportunities for walking and birdwatching than the national park, IMHO.

So if you want to visit a national park but also stay on the ocean, go to OC. If you want to stay in a nice small town but have to travel to get to the beach, try Chincoteague.
Maryland doesn't have a single National Park. Most of the east coast, in fact. This is among the many reasons I left.

Assateague is a National Seashore: Assateague Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post
Maryland doesn't have a single National Park. Most of the east coast, in fact. This is among the many reasons I left.

Assateague is a National Seashore: Assateague Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)
You left because of a semantics? Park, seashore, whatever. Run by the National Park Service.

Catoctin Mountain Park is a small national park in Frederick County.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:10 AM

16,752 posts, read 16,220,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapetrich View Post

The reason is most likely that the National Park system didn't come into being until the late 1800's, after most of the areas east of the Mississippi had been settled.

PA has the Allegheny National Forest

MD National Parks including the new John Smith Chesapeake Trail
Maryland

VA National Parks, also including John Smith
Virginia

DE National Parks, also with John Smith
Delaware

DC has Rock Creek.

Parks in the East are different than in the West due to the difference I noted originally.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 AM

83 posts, read 17,745 times
No offense but why are we talking about Parks? I asked for info on Ocean City.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Because someone other than you asked a related question about Assateague national seashore which is near Ocean City.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:39 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,374,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The reason is most likely that the National Park system didn't come into being until the late 1800's, after most of the areas east of the Mississippi had been settled.

PA has the Allegheny National Forest

MD National Parks including the new John Smith Chesapeake Trail
Maryland

VA National Parks, also including John Smith
Virginia

DE National Parks, also with John Smith
Delaware

DC has Rock Creek.

Parks in the East are different than in the West due to the difference I noted originally.
I am aware of the history - The National Park Act was created in 1916. That doesn't negate the fact that the east coast lacks much untouched land for public use regardless. Sorry.

Also, to the other poster who said that if a piece of land is run by the national park service it is like a NP. This is very far from reality. You should visit some truly designated NP's. The NP service manages MANY different types of land designations......National Monuments, National Historic sites (of which the east coast has MANY beautiful ones), etc.....

Source: The NPS oversee 394 units, of which 58 are designated national parks : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Park_Service

Oh, and btw. The east coast has 8 NP out of 58 in the entire USA. 3 of which are in FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland