Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:43 AM

126 posts, read 421,531 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm graduating Penn State in August and will be relocating to Maryland for a job in Linthicum Heights. I've been researching places to live and have realized that the Annapolis area (Parole, Annapolis, Pasadena) are the places to go to avoid the riff raff that comes with the city.

I have to ask, though. I have the option to buy on Kent Island vs rent in Annapolis. How bad/different would the commute be living on the island vs living in the furthest reaches of Annapolis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:48 AM

44,916 posts, read 59,916,725 times
Where will you be working? If on the Western Shore you will have to drive the Bay Bridge daily, that might be a break point. This time of year Friday afternoons are usually bad, really bad.

Kent Island will likely be marginally cheaper than Annapolis plus you have more outdoor recreation there than Annapolis proper. Or I should say an easier time accessing it.

The Eastern Shore way of life is a bit slower than on the other side. Being from PA you may not experience much change.

I assume you have researched housing cost in MD, if not you may have some sticker shock.

Never mind, saw Linthicum.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:53 AM

Indeed, I have been researching housing costs in MD. Coming from Centre County, PA, it amazes me that some 600sqft apartments in HoCo go for upwards of 1800k/month.

I'm used to the slow rural life, but I can handle the city just fine. I grew up in NJ just outside of Philly, so I know how to handle myself in those areas.

I've been looking at properties in Stevensville. What I'm looking at the most is exactly how bad is the bridge commute on a daily basis, say if I got out of work at 2PM or so on a friday afternoon during the summer.

Also, is the commute from Stevensville/Annapolis a reverse commute? Am I going to hit the notorious MD traffic going to and coming from work on the daily?

Old 06-02-2011, 10:11 AM

44,916 posts, read 59,916,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
Indeed, I have been researching housing costs in MD. Coming from Centre County, PA, it amazes me that some 600sqft apartments in HoCo go for upwards of 1800k/month.

I'm used to the slow rural life, but I can handle the city just fine. I grew up in NJ just outside of Philly, so I know how to handle myself in those areas.

I've been looking at properties in Stevensville. What I'm looking at the most is exactly how bad is the bridge commute on a daily basis, say if I got out of work at 2PM or so on a friday afternoon during the summer.

Also, is the commute from Stevensville/Annapolis a reverse commute? Am I going to hit the notorious MD traffic going to and coming from work on the daily?

An awful lot of people live on the Shore and commute west over the Bridge in the AM. If you're working a normal day shift you'll be in commuter traffic both ways. The Bridge is actually not bad most days but one guy running out of gas or getting a flat can really muck up the works.

Even leaving at 2 on a Friday will put you into the beach traffic this time of year. The good thing is that you'll be getting off just on the other side.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 AM

7,305 posts, read 13,445,780 times
You know, Linthicum isn't hell on earth simply because it's near Baltimore City. There are plenty of places that might appeal to you in AA county close to your work that won't require you to cross a major body of water 2x a day.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:32 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,886,646 times
The bay bridge toll is going to be $8 by 2013. Every friday from May to September the bridge is a mess. A lot of nice stuff in Baltimore and Arundel Mills, both would be a much easier commute. Linthicum is on the Light Rail system, so if your work is close to that or has a shuttle, you can live in many cool neighborhoods in Baltimore and take that every day. If you are from Philly, you will find Bmore to be pretty much the same but smaller. There is 3 Penn State Bars in Federal Hill (No Idea Tavern, Mad River, and City Limits). If you are looking to play sports and be social, I highly reccomend Federal Hill and Canton.

Also when it comes to Annapolis, I think you can tell right away if the area is sketchy or not. Like any City, Annapolis has it's good or bad parts, but pretty darn safe for the most part.

Buying on KI should not be impulse. Many people live in Annapolis their whole life and debate whether it would be worth it. I'd suggest finding a rental, and getting a feel for the areas. Usually the kicker is a need for more house, land and water, at a lower price while staying in a good school system. I love the Eastern Shore, but I wouldn't want to be a commuter.

Last edited by KLynch10; 06-02-2011 at 11:44 AM..

Old 06-02-2011, 11:39 AM

Plus, let's not forget the few times a year the bridge is closed due to wind restrictions. That means you either get cozy in Annapolis for awhile or make the long treck around via Delaware.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,886,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
You know, Linthicum isn't hell on earth simply because it's near Baltimore City. There are plenty of places that might appeal to you in AA county close to your work that won't require you to cross a major body of water 2x a day.
Yes, Linthicum has some great neighborhoods.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
I'm aware of this fact. However, I'm not looking to live in the city. I own a vehicle and would rather not have to deal with on-street parking.

I also can't seem to find any apartment complexes that have better than a 33% acceptable rating on apartment guide in the HoCo/Northern AA CO area.

I refuse to live in Glen Burnie. Visited it in november and don't want any part of that area. If i'm renting, I'd like to at least be able to afford to save more for a house.

If anyone can PM me with some suggestions for apartment complexes in the area that are worth checking out, I'd be appreciative.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusra112 View Post
I'm aware of this fact. However, I'm not looking to live in the city. I own a vehicle and would rather not have to deal with on-street parking.

I also can't seem to find any apartment complexes that have better than a 33% acceptable rating on apartment guide in the HoCo/Northern AA CO area.

I refuse to live in Glen Burnie. Visited it in november and don't want any part of that area. If i'm renting, I'd like to at least be able to afford to save more for a house.

If anyone can PM me with some suggestions for apartment complexes in the area that are worth checking out, I'd be appreciative.
Does it have to be an apartment complex? Just look at Craigslist. How about Annapolis? There are lots of older apartment buildings there and it's a nice place. Or is that a city by your standards? Linthicum could not be confused for "the city" in any way, either, so I'm not sure why you got that idea.

Also keep in mind that those who post to rental review sites are the usually the ones who have a bone to pick.

If you live in KI you'll be surrounded by old people. Is that something you want? Look into it before you buy. Also, can you afford the gas + $160 in tolls per month?

I'm not trying to be crass here, but I think you're limiting yourself too much here because you don't know much about the area. We do, and are trying to point you in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland