U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:03 AM

297 posts, read 827,733 times
According to carebear's MySpace page, she wants to go to Orange County. Godspeed!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 12:19 PM

913 posts, read 2,044,125 times
she is a liar...first she denied she is a she ..then redneck..

Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear1970 View Post
I'm not she??? what does that mean??? I am a country bumpkin actually...i knew most didn't know what that ment so I threw out Redneck..is that more clarification????

Old 08-15-2007, 01:09 PM

56 posts, read 284,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymatters View Post
Thanks Zippy!!

I've been wanting to say this and your post just pulled it out of me:

Where's the gumption. The courage. The smashed nosed spirit that America used to be about?

I read these post and so many of us sound like crybabies. Oh the crime. Oh the injustices. Why not do something about it besides complain? I find it pathetic and passive. If you want better communities don't run away, be apart of the healing and fixing. Stop sounding like cowards. This is your community. Your state. Your neighborhood. Your home. Stand up and band together. Stop making excuses and waiting on some politician to make changes. In my humble opinion if you arent apart of the remedy you're part of the problem.

I'm tired of hearing about how bad things are. How about we talk about making things better, or at least focus on what positive things that are taking place. I forgive the women. I do not forgive the men who cry on this forum like babies. Do something. Be apart of the fix. Reach out. Help. Aid. Support. Contribute. Stop crying girly men. Be a man for Godsake. Stop boo hooing and get involved. And don't talk to me about paying taxes. Paying taxes is what we all have to do, getting involved is what we all ought to do. Put up or shut up. You'd think after 9/11 we could get together as men and fix a freaking corner inour neighborhood, you'd think we could ban together and have a little unity. This is pathetic. Stop crying and start helping. We can do this. Or we can whine. Its our choice. This is our Maryland. Somebody get me some fathers and husbands who give a ^%$!!!
Have you heard of STOP SNITCHING in Baltimore? Go on and be a hero for your corner of your neighborhood and you might find your family and or yourself hurt or killed. This problem is bigger than being a man and standing up for yourself. Are you willing to go up against kids with guns and nothing to live for? Most hard working men are not. What's pathetic is the fact that you can't really see what is going on. The police are being shot at men and women officers are being hurt, put in the hospital. Again what are citizens supposed to do and are police helping or are they part of the problem. Please tell the the men how to risk their lives for their corner.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:38 PM

91 posts, read 329,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo123 View Post
Have you heard of STOP SNITCHING in Baltimore? Go on and be a hero for your corner of your neighborhood and you might find your family and or yourself hurt or killed. This problem is bigger than being a man and standing up for yourself. Are you willing to go up against kids with guns and nothing to live for? Most hard working men are not. What's pathetic is the fact that you can't really see what is going on. The police are being shot at men and women officers are being hurt, put in the hospital. Again what are citizens supposed to do and are police helping or are they part of the problem. Please tell the the men how to risk their lives for their corner.

Did I strike a nerve Kimbo? I'm saying take action. No I don't expect you to die for a corner, that's crazy talk, but you can't hide in the corner either. How about joining a civic organization? How about getting involved? Don't tell me we're all powerless. I will not accept that, not from you, not from anyone.

What do you suggest we do? And if you answer nothing; shame on you.

I'm suggesting we all be heroes not idiots. A hero doesn't need a gun or superpowers. I've worked as a community activist, organizer, motivational speaker...the whole nine. I believe in people changing. Every kid on the street isn't on The Wire. I do see your point though. I do. I just can't cannot find it in myself to accept that we have no choice but to give up on our youngpeople. That's the problem now...parents give up, police give up and those same kids we were afraid to talk to/mentor to endup shooting our kids for their winter coats???

Do you see my point?

No easy answers, but to me quitting just isn't acceptable

Last edited by familymatters; 08-15-2007 at 03:50 PM..

Old 08-15-2007, 06:21 PM

1,389 posts, read 4,334,508 times
My husband and I purchase investment properties in Baltimore city. The next door neighbor to one of thee properties sold drugs and we called the police every single day until something was done. Each time we visit the property people were always hanging out in front of the property or sittin gon our property. Finally the police arrest the neigbor and guess what it works. Now when we go to visit no one hangs out no more. I feel a lot safer when ever we visit the property. I mean the block is quite. I have no idea what the police did but what ever they did I do thank them. If the resident in Baltimore want change they have to start complaining to the chief of police thats who my husband and I complain to and it works. We were constant with our calls.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
My husband and I purchase investment properties in Baltimore city. The next door neighbor to one of thee properties sold drugs and we called the police every single day until something was done. Each time we visit the property people were always hanging out in front of the property or sittin gon our property. Finally the police arrest the neigbor and guess what it works. Now when we go to visit no one hangs out no more. I feel a lot safer when ever we visit the property. I mean the block is quite. I have no idea what the police did but what ever they did I do thank them. If the resident in Baltimore want change they have to start complaining to the chief of police thats who my husband and I complain to and it works. We were constant with our calls.
Iscalder describes the type of actions that were encouraged when I was a community organizer in DC. We fought against the liquor store crate squatters, you know the guys who are sitting outside the liquor stores on crates bright and early at 10am? We took pictures snagging license plate numbers of those crafty small-time operators who illegally dumped garbage in the alleys instead of paying for legal bulk trash removal. We let those rotten landlords who collected taxes on property they failed to upkeep allowing squatters and drug addicts use those roachmotels as crack roachmotels. We made a difference. You'd be suprised what 10 families calling in rotation everyday can accomplish. If the phone calls don't do the trick you start writing letters. Most people look at the world and say wah wah wah..I'm powerless. The reality is thinking you're powerless is what creates powerlessness.

People tend to believe moving is the no-brainer solution, but what happens when you move and find undesirable activities in your spankin' new neighborhood? Do you move again? I repeat, I am not suggesting citizens try to be law enforcement agents, but there are options. No you don't walk up to a drug dealer saying "Hey drug dealer...get off my block!" That's just not a wise move. You aren't bulletproof. BUT you and 5 other families can walk down to the police station and be a force to reckon. Listen, calling any agency in shifts every hour on the hour can be quite effective. Even bureaucratic monstrosities such as Maryland State government will bend to your requests, if not out of empathy out of sheer surrender. The only criteria for fighting back is good old fashioned stubbornness. You have to be thickheaded and actually believe you deserve better services.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
It is different when you don't live in the neighborhood. If you lived there and the police kept showing up the drug dealers would have made it hard for you.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
It is different when you don't live in the neighborhood. If you lived there and the police kept showing up the drug dealers would have made it hard for you.

The police should not divulge who called them to the scene. Kimbo - If you have drug dealers living across the street, I'm sorry, but you already have problems.

Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymatters View Post
The police should not divulge who called them to the scene. Kimbo - If you have drug dealers living across the street, I'm sorry, but you already have problems.
I don't have a drug dealer problem than goodness. But I do live in the city and if you are new to the neighborhood or a complainer it's not hard to figure out who is calling the police. Do you follow the news? Do you live in the city? If you do then you know a bunch of citizens can't get together and rid a neighborhood of drug dealers. I'ts not that simple. We have a gang problem in the city. I'm sorry, but you have no idea.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I don't have a drug dealer problem than goodness. But I do live in the city and if you are new to the neighborhood or a complainer it's not hard to figure out who is calling the police. Do you follow the news? Do you live in the city? If you do then you know a bunch of citizens can't get together and rid a neighborhood of drug dealers. I'ts not that simple. We have a gang problem in the city. I'm sorry, but you have no idea.

..But I do have an idea what you're talking, I'm also from the city. Look at these posts, Southern Prince Georges County is no bed of roses. You're stance is that Baltimore City as a whole is cime infested. The truth is you don't live in the entire city of Baltimore, you live on one block in one home within Baltimore. I have experience working with communities within an individual area, a corner a street within a neighborhood. People can make a difference, but most people don't want to truly make a difference, they want someone else to make a difference. IMO it doesn't matter how much crime there is in a particular city or state, the issue is how much crime is on your block where you and your family rest their heads. No one wants to be a crusader until tragedy hits...and in my book that's a shame. The police won't/can't do it all. I'm not picking an issue with you Kimbo, but please don't tell me I have no clue about inner-city issues, I've already got my subscription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland