U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2011, 03:36 AM

17 posts, read 25,909 times
Default Commute from Eldersburg to Columbia (Gateway Dr.) and Baltimore City (southern end around UMMS)

I was wondering if someone has experience with the commute from Eldersburg to the Columbia Gateway Dr. area and also southern Balt. City. Hubby and I are relocating from Kent Island to HoCo and trying to figure out where to live. Good public schools are a must. Our son will be going to school is about 2 years.

We like the Ilchester Elm. are, but understand they will be redistricting in 2 years, so we figure it could be iffy to move there even though the commute would be amazing! Not so sure about Rockburn Elm., though that is better than Elkridge Elm.

I'm not sure about moving to the Centenniel area and north because I figure the commutes for both of us will be horrible - route 40, 70, and 29 - ugh! But, would it be better than Eldersburg? Can anyone comment on the commute times for all these areas? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 AM

297 posts, read 837,363 times
The commute from Eldersburg into Columbia depends on what time in the morning you or your husband leave for work. Most people in our neighborhood, including my husband, leave around 6:30 in the morning and have no problems on Rt. 32 going south. On the other hand, I took my son to Columbia yesterday morning and left the house around 8 - Rt. 32 was stop-and-go south of Rt. 70.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:34 PM

261 posts, read 611,800 times
If you're considering a commute from Carroll County to Columbia via Rt 32, drive the route first. The 2-lane section between Sykesville and Clarksville terrifies me. I can be doing 65mph on the 2-lane road and there's always someone on my tail flashing their lights or honking their horns. However, if I drove this every day, I'd probably get use to it.

Rt 29 itself in Hoco isn't that bad. 32 is the evil road. And the Rt 70/29 intersection. Whoever the lucky person is working at Gateway should have a pretty easy time driving from any of the Hoco locations you mentioned. Even taking Rt 175 east with all the stoplights isn't horrible. Driving north to Baltimore, I would personally prefer taking 95N from eastern EC/Columbia over I-70.

Hopefully someone from Carroll will chime in about Baltimore.

Last edited by newhart; 07-13-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 PM

297 posts, read 837,363 times
I should add that even during the morning rush hour Rt. 32 south becomes good again around the intersection with 108 where it's 2 lanes in each direction. When I have to drive to Columbia from Eldersburg in the middle of rush hour I usually drive 32 south to Frederick Road (that's the exit right after Rt.70), take Frederick Road east, then Folly Quarter Road, to Sheppard's Lane, to 108, and then back onto 32 South.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:25 PM

2,246 posts, read 5,780,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelbaToast View Post
I was wondering if someone has experience with the commute from Eldersburg to the Columbia Gateway Dr. area and also southern Balt. City. Hubby and I are relocating from Kent Island to HoCo and trying to figure out where to live. Good public schools are a must. Our son will be going to school is about 2 years.

We like the Ilchester Elm. are, but understand they will be redistricting in 2 years, so we figure it could be iffy to move there even though the commute would be amazing! Not so sure about Rockburn Elm., though that is better than Elkridge Elm.
Rockburn is overcrowded and Ilchester is not, so I don't think they'd be shifting students from Ilchester to Rockburn. Also, I'm not sure of your timeline, but the redistricting plan will be announced this fall, so people will know well in advance. It won't be a surprise in 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland