U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2011, 09:10 AM

3,257 posts, read 2,324,204 times

Advertisements

A blogger who posts on Greater Greater Washington made a post where he suggests a commuter rail spur that would connect the Penn and Camden lines via an old rail ROW that is pretty much adjacent to Patuxent Freeway.

Here is the link to the blog which also shows the map of his proposed route: Can MARC serve Fort Meade? - Greater Greater Washington

That guy should definitely tell MARC of his idea. I would support it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 02:01 PM

What do you guys think of this solution? It looks like it would follow the old The Annapolis and Elkridge Railroad ROW. More information on that ROW in case you want to check it out:

Abandoned Rails: The Annapolis and Elkridge Railroad

Annapolis and Elk Ridge Railroad - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 PM

1,063 posts, read 641,568 times
Not going to happen in our lifetime. Let them get buses and prove there is some demand. Then there could be some kind of light rail. But anything that ran on base would probably be DOD/NSA run. I haven't kept up with Ft Meade and BRAC. Is there much there other than NSA?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Not going to happen in our lifetime. Let them get buses and prove there is some demand. Then there could be some kind of light rail. But anything that ran on base would probably be DOD/NSA run. I haven't kept up with Ft Meade and BRAC. Is there much there other than NSA?
Hypothetically speaking; if CSX put in a third rail along their line between DC and Baltimore, do you think the bloggers suggestion would be more realistic?

Old 06-02-2014, 03:54 PM

1,063 posts, read 641,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Hypothetically speaking; if CSX put in a third rail along their line between DC and Baltimore, do you think the bloggers suggestion would be more realistic?
When you say a third rail do you mean a third track or to electrify the existing track via a third rail?

I don't see either happening. Is there a need for the extra capacity of a third track? I can't see enough use to justify the expense and the maintenance. As far as electrifying the track I don't see that being done either. I can't think of any electrified track on the CSX system (at least in this region) so there is no business case for CSX. and MARC is running that service with diesel now so I can't see how they could justify converting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland