Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:35 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times

Advertisements

They're all going to OC, Bethany, Rehoboth, Dewey and Lewes I'm guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 04:39 AM

201 posts, read 574,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbug3 View Post
Most of us on the Eastern shore would like you all to stop coming over and causing all the traffic! but OC loves your $$$$
This comment adds nothing to this thread but... This^^

Old 08-01-2011, 07:29 AM

24 posts, read 54,911 times
I like OC. Usually have fun there, but I understand the "meh" attitude about it.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
OC is pretty easy to understand. The lower street numbers around the boardwalk is a wilder, younger, more attraction based resort, the upper streets are condos, rental houses, nicer hotels. These areas have more room on the beach, less crazy kids, it is more family friendly.

When we went to OC, that is what we did, stay at a hotel in the high numbered streets to enjoy the water and sand, then drive down to the boardwalk in the evenings to stroll, do some of the attractions (Ripley's is pretty cool) eat dinner, then drive back up to our more serene lodging.

Asseteague is really cool too, with the small dunes, ponies, and all, but don't think is picture perfect naturally serene either. The "wild ponies" are really just dwaved feral holdovers from when mainland farmers used to turn their lifestock loose over on the island to graze. The animals are still fairly tame and are "rounded up" ever year is some big touristy event to sell off the surplus so they don't overpopulate the island and destroy too much native vegetation. I believe the state even maintains food stations from them, to make sure they don't get hungry and mean. Still neat to have them though.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MQHP40 View Post
Then there was Ocean City.... what a dump. If you want decent boardwalk time do yourself a favor and head over to Wildwood, NJ. .
WHAT???! I've stayed multiple times in and around Wildwood and in Ocean City, and I am positive that OC's boardwalk is MUCH nicer and much less trashy than Wildwood. In fact, trashy is the first word that comes to mind when I think of Wildwood. Wildwood is probably an hour or so closer to me than OC, and anymore we completely skip the Jersey shore and head to OC. Because its not only the boardwalk, but the beaches in MD are much cleaner than in NJ.

But even in OC, I wouldn't want to STAY around the noise of the boardwalk with our 2 kids...we stay at the Francis Scott Key across the bay, and ride the shuttle over to the beach and boardwalk.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:14 AM

5 posts, read 10,601 times
We visited OC for the first time this summer during 4th of july week. We stayed at the Princess Royale and found it very suitable for my young family of 4. The hotel room was VERY clean. The decor inside the hotel was outdated, but well kept. The inside pool and beach front bar/snack area were very nice as well. The crowds were not bad for a major tourist area. We visited the boardwalk and enjoyed the people watching. I think it depends on what you are expecting. If you consider the number of hotels and condos in the area, what else would you expect? We also visited Assateague and LOVED IT! The next time we visit, we will be spending much more time there! It is just enchanting with the wild ponies. I think the contrast of OC and Assateague is what makes the area interesting and fun to visit. I look forward to going back.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
OC resembles modern Cairo uprooted and placed on the ocean.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:03 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
OC resembles modern Cairo uprooted and placed on the ocean.

But without the beggars and leprosy.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:14 AM

388 posts, read 849,037 times
Maybe no leprosy, but I've certainly seen a beggar or two.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:19 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifie View Post
Maybe no leprosy, but I've certainly seen a beggar or two.

Are you counting the performers on the Boardwalk?

I have a question: in OC would STD's be the new leprosy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland