U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 884 times

Advertisements

Babzee --

I don't mean to sound self-serving, but Allegany County can seem isolating at first, but the people are warm and you do find that the location is convenient to many activities (outdoors, small town markets, and even airports). In addition to Route 219, you should check out the road to Hyndman, Pa. (Route 35), which ends in Corriganville. I have since moved from the area for work reasons, but would ave loved to stay longer. [Here is the self-serving part, so stop reading if you wish] My house is on the market along Route 35 with a great view of the mountain from the rear deck. Let me know if you want more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 10:43 AM

3,155 posts, read 4,440,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babzee View Post
Thanks so much, cmdguy, kiOeh, and westsideboy, for recommendations and information. kiOeh, your very accurate description of "tired-looking businesses jammed in there" is what struck me. I said to my husband, "This isn't what I was expecting at all," and he heartily agreed. Thanks to all of you for the detailed suggestions.

You asked what kind of water I want to be near - For fishing mostly, or boating. Just being near water and/or mountains revives me.

We actually walked up to Washington Street from the train station, and then down near Mechanic Street. Don't know how I missed Caporale's Bakery.

I picked up a "Home Finder," and noticed the big difference in home prices between Frostburg and Maryland. Wouldn't mind the snow if I didn't have to go anywhere! Seems like all college towns have larger than life prices on their homes. Charlottesville, VA, is a prime example. But then, they have that huge medical center too.

Now I'm anxious to go back to Cumberland after reading all of your posts. Thanks again.
I suspect you know this, but the Home Finder is normally the houses the realtors really want you to buy...which means they often only list the overpriced ones.

Another thing to consider is that there are not "Buyer's Agents" in Allegany County. Even if you hire your own realtor to help your search, they are just a "Seller's Agent Cooperating." The difference is that they are not really there to help you find the best deal, or give you bidding advice. They just show houses on behalf of the listing agent and get a cut if they bring in a buyer.

My wife and I must have looked at 2 dozen houses before we found the one we finally bought. We would also show up to the visit with the actual appraisal value, and all records of recent sales. We saw one house that had sold just a year before for about 1/2 of what it was currently listed at. When we brought it up to the realtor her response was a very lucid utterance... "You aren't supposed to know that! Where did you find that information?"

Uh....it is public information on the state tax assessment website. At any rate, if you do decide to move here and buy, don't hesitate to ask questions on this board or others about what houses are REALLY selling for, not just what they are listed at. There are some good values on the market, and some real pie in the sky listings.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 8,673 times
tkershner, it never hurts to be self-serving. I'll take a look at route 35. Thanks.

westsideboy, thanks for that info. We haven't bought a house in over 20 years, so it's good to know all the insider tips. I appreciate that.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 795 times
Default any mexican restaurant in cumberland,md?

looking to move there and stablish a restaurant, but i read crime rate is high. any comments?

Old 09-16-2011, 11:27 PM

387 posts, read 388,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbribi View Post
looking to move there and stablish a restaurant, but i read crime rate is high. any comments?
As poster, Georgia, once wrote, "About the only crime you have in Cumberland is a bar fight, wife hitting husband with frying pan, or Otis stumbling into jail."

I've been walking in Cumberland at night when there weren't many people around and I never felt unsafe. I grew up about 20 minutes outside Cumberland and my dad's been known to leave keys in the ignition, doors unlocked, and windows rolled down. Unless you frequent obviously rundown neighborhoods or section 8 housing, crime ought to be among the least of your worries.

It's always good to hear when someone is interesting in moving to town and starting a business. Cumberland welcomes you and your restaurant. You won't be sorry!

Old 09-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Cumberland has 2 Mexican Restaurants, Frostburg has 1. They say there is always room for more good restaurants, but the competition is already there.

I wish I could say Cumberland and Allegany County are "low crime" places, but the stats now say differently. Allegany's crime rate exceeds the state average, and just had its largest single year increase since the FBI reporting began being issued in the 1970s. This isn't just paper crime either, we have several neighborhoods of all income levels being hit by home invasions (including my neighborhood) and there are now parts of towns that I wouldn't go at night. Sad but true. Nobody loves my town more than me, but I can't deny the stats or what I am seeing with my own eyes. We aren't Baltimore, but we aren't Mayberry either.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 586 times
Default Thoughts of moving

I like the town, though it's cold and has snow. I am interested in moving from Philadelphia to Cumberland. Love the mountains, and the fact it's 122 miles closer to Toronto. I could leave Cumberland at 3 and be in Toronto by 10, and Niagara by 8.

Any dancing happening in or around the area?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbw215 View Post
I like the town, though it's cold and has snow. I am interested in moving from Philadelphia to Cumberland. Love the mountains, and the fact it's 122 miles closer to Toronto. I could leave Cumberland at 3 and be in Toronto by 10, and Niagara by 8.

Any dancing happening in or around the area?
Like ballroom, ballet, modern dance? Or drunk locals grinding to hip hop?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 PM

39 posts, read 58,350 times
Cumberland is definitely a great place to live and such a safe town.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-05-2012 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: Removed Signature

Old 04-06-2012, 06:28 AM

342 posts, read 547,238 times
Babzee, if you absolutely fell in love with Crossville, VA. why all this discussion about Cumberland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland