U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 03:44 PM

1,924 posts, read 4,289,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotty19 View Post
Yes it is. When you leave Food Lion and take the left away from 113 and go straight down the road you'll end up in the town of Berlin. I'd suggest Rayne's Reef right near the Atlantic Hotel and The Globe restaurant. There's the Drummers Cafe at The Atlantic Hotel. You could also try the Deactur Diner on 611 going toward Ocean City, away from Assateague in West Ocean City. it's not too far from Berlin.
Rayne's Reef - Berlin, Maryland 21811 - Restaurant, Food, Burgers, Ice Cream, Sandwiches, Roast Beef, Chicken, Salads, Turkey, Caesar, Tuna, Grilled, Cheese Steaks, Reubens
The Globe Theater
Drummers Cafe at the Atlantic Hotel | Berlin Maryland Restaurants near Ocean City MD
Diner Restaurant Carry Out Breakfast Lunch Dinner West Ocean City | Decatur Diner | Best Breakfast Homemade Food Catering Beach Eastern Shore Maryland

The accent is described as a Tidewater Virginia accent although the accent is found in Maryland, Virginia, and North Carolina. It's a coastal accent. And just a side note, my grandmother says arsters lol
Thank you! BTW, I looked at the Atlantic Hotel's website and they had a very cool little slide show on the goings on at Berlin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 03:59 PM

9 posts, read 8,251 times
Welcome, Kelly! I moved to Ocean Pines two weeks ago and am absolutely enchanted with the whole area. Always have been. I hope you feel as much at home here as I do. Once you've recovered from the trauma of a 4500-mile move... with children and pets...

The accent in the Berlin/Ocean City area is much like Philadelphia's, if that's any help. Parts of MD do have a recognizably southern accent, but a lot of the Eastern Shore's traditional dialect is rooted firmly in British English, believe it or not. That's especially true on the Chesapeake islands, which have fewer outside influences. Most of the rest of the Eastern Shore has so many influences that linguists have trouble sorting them out. (I'm an OED contributor with an interest in regional English & regional Southern English in particular.)

Anyway, this is a lovely place to live. Best of luck with your move!
Daria

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii1279 View Post
Hello... We are moving to Berlin, Maryland. Is there anything that I should know about Berlin... places to avoid, best private schools, things to do, best areas to live? I'm pretty sure my daughter will attend Catholic School or Worcester Prep. I believe the Catholic School is Blessed Sacrament.

My husband is a physician and we currently live in Maui. Maui is amazing, but it is extremely isolating. We are on a rock, in the middle of the Pacific, that is about the size of Chicago. I know some people move to Hawaii only to find that they can't quench the longing to move back home! I'm not completely like that, but I do miss just driving. Some call this Island Fever, but I wouldn't say that I fully have that. Living in a small state with small towns, a rural atmosphere and a tropical climate is not for everyone. I didn't realize how much I miss being able to just drive. Shopping has much to be desired here too. If I were in Berlin, I am close to DC and NYC. I also miss Saratoga Springs and the Albany area.

Any personal experiences about Berlin or Ocean City would be wonderful. And do Berlin natives have a Southern accent? I've read mixed things about whether or not Ocean City/Berlin is considered "Southern." I wouldn't have a problem either way. I've taught in Alabama and I do like Southern charm. I just really wanted opinions because we were thinking of putting a sizeable chunk of money down on a house.

And I apologize if my thoughts are a little scrambled. It's a huge move with a baby and two dogs. It's about 4,500 miles away.

Thanks so much!!!
Kelly

Old 08-13-2011, 11:33 PM

11 posts, read 21,193 times
Thank you Dotty and everyone else for your help. Do you think we should rent for 6 months before we buy? I'd hate to throw away money. Are there gated communities that are nice? My husband is a doctor, but his medical school loans are crazy. I was a school teacher, but I just had a child. I'm thinking of going back to work. And do most people have security systems? I did read the crime was the highest on the FBI scale. It's the same as DC for robbery and theft. Is it home robbery or is it purse snatching and car break-ins? You have been very kind to help me Dotty.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:30 AM

16,650 posts, read 15,638,179 times
Certainly rent for awhile before buying. As far as I know there really aren't any gated developments near Berlin, although a small number have been built nearer to Cambridge/Easton.

The area you're going to is very rural for the East Coast.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:40 AM

202 posts, read 251,083 times
I'd say yes on the rent. There aren't any gated communities in Berlin but if you want a safer atmosphere i'd say Decatur Farms is a good choice. It's right across from Stephen Decatur Park and the town of Berlin is right after the park so you'd be close. I know lots of people who live there and i've been back there a few times myself. Lovely town-houses and such! Honestly when it comes to crime it's theft of cars and miscellaneous items like a bike outside, then there are break-ins. Mind you my home has never been broken into, but I did have my dog stolen years ago. In the last couple years there have been drug busts in Berlin, mainly back here in Germantown and Sinepuxent. But I assure you there are not drug dealers on the corner selling and there aren't tons of people in the area lining up to get their fix either. I don't wanna deter you from the area but there is crime. It's not crime-ridden in my opinion though. You probably won't have your purse snatched, probably not even in Ocean City. Criminals tend not to be as confrontational here for what ever reason. People do have security systems and I guess they're a good investment if you are a worrier. At home we have 3 locks on our door and that's good enough. And i've glad i've been able to help you. Living here all your life you just know stuff I guess

Old 08-15-2011, 12:15 AM

Thanks so much for your help everyone. It sounds like I will like Berlin. I'm an east coast girl and west coast living is so much different. I miss seasons and the little things. One thing that stuck out... Dotty's dog being stolen. I have two goldendoodles, that are like family members, and I would be lost if something happened to them. I will keep that in mind and not leave them outside if I am not home.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:18 AM

And Dotty... you mentioned Libertytown and Sinepuxent are the mostly rural. Does that mean there is more or less crime because the homes would be more spaced out? You all have been wonderful and I'm looking for to Maryland!!!

Old 08-15-2011, 05:11 AM

202 posts, read 251,083 times
I never really hear of any crime in Libertytown, Sinepuxent, or any of the other outskirt communities. When you read the paper most crimes are going on in the city (Ocean City and Salisbury or somewhere in neighboring Sussex county Delaware) but when there is crime it's mainly in Berlin itself and not the surrounding communities.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:34 PM

3,031 posts, read 4,205,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKellyU View Post
Welcome, Kelly! I moved to Ocean Pines two weeks ago and am absolutely enchanted with the whole area. Always have been. I hope you feel as much at home here as I do. Once you've recovered from the trauma of a 4500-mile move... with children and pets...

The accent in the Berlin/Ocean City area is much like Philadelphia's, if that's any help. Parts of MD do have a recognizably southern accent, but a lot of the Eastern Shore's traditional dialect is rooted firmly in British English, believe it or not. That's especially true on the Chesapeake islands, which have fewer outside influences. Most of the rest of the Eastern Shore has so many influences that linguists have trouble sorting them out. (I'm an OED contributor with an interest in regional English & regional Southern English in particular.)

Anyway, this is a lovely place to live. Best of luck with your move!
Daria
Linguistics? I love linguistics. Have you done any research in the rest of the state, or just the Eastern Shore?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 PM

16,650 posts, read 15,638,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii1279 View Post
And Dotty... you mentioned Libertytown and Sinepuxent are the mostly rural. Does that mean there is more or less crime because the homes would be more spaced out? You all have been wonderful and I'm looking for to Maryland!!!

Rural areas generally have a lower crime rate, people are further apart and don't get on each other's nerves as much.

Crime on the Shore, in most places, tends to be of the annoying variety. Are there drug dealers? Yes like everywhere. Underage drinking or good old boys having 1 or 4 too many? Yes. Bar fights? Yep. Minor vandalism? Yes. Crimes of opportunity like taking stuff from unlocked cars? Yes. In fact where I am that is one of the more common ones. Unfortunately the days where you could leave yor car or house unlocked are in the past.

Dotty mentioned her dogs being stolen. That's usually just certain highly sought breeds. I would still have my dogs chipped if they aren't already.

I think you mentioned you were from New York. If you grew up in the rural areas you're used to hunting. If you didn't, be aware that starting in a couple weeks you may see guys in camouflage or with shotguns. They're goose hunting. Then there's regular late waterfowl season at various times until the end of January. Then the various deer seasons. Guided hunts are big business on the Shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland