U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 AM

2 posts, read 1,207 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Bethesda, but married here in Israel and have three Israeli kids. We're thinking of moving back to the states to MD to be near my family, but we are looking for something less urban, smaller and less... gentrified... than the DC suburbs I'm familiar with. Something with more of a mid-sized town feel. At the same time, we speak Hebrew and would like to live somewhere somewhat heterogeneous, where we won't stick out like so many sore thumbs. If we could find somewhere with a slight bohemian / counter-cultural vibe, all the better (I spent many years in Berkeley, CA.)

If it helps any, I'm an artist and my husband's a chef. So restaurants are good. I'd love to have a yoga studio around. And while we'd like something on a smaller scale than DC-metro, we'd still love somewhere with a "town," where you can walk around.

Any ideas? TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 AM

290 posts, read 258,744 times
Any suburb of Baltimore or DC will have a medium sized town for you. Columbia is a big one with lots of walking areas, but youll have to drive most places. Caters to the "hippie" too so that may work out as well. As for yoga well CA has great amenities and its not bad. Wife and I pay ~$60 a month for basic gym/pools. Crime isnt terrible, and actually very low for central MD.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:40 PM

817 posts, read 1,511,217 times
You might be interested in the Pikesville area of Baltimore County, or Mount Washington or Cheswolde in Baltimore City.

Mount Washington is a pretty diverse community. It's in the city, but you wouldn't know it. It has a small business district and is accepting of people of all different backgrounds. Check out mwia.org: Welcome to the Community. There are many restaurants in the immediate area, and many more just a short drive or light rail ride away.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 PM

Now that I think of it the "hippie" statement might be taken the wrong way. What I meant is Columbia is a "hippie" town and very accepting of everyone minus republicans and what they refer to as "rednecks".

Old 08-23-2011, 01:10 PM

244 posts, read 531,636 times
I'd check out the Mt. Vernon or Charles Village areas in Baltimore. Those areas have always had a very artsy Bohemian feel to them.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:10 PM

5,195 posts, read 7,607,238 times
LOL do you like earthquakes?

Old 08-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Yeah we get one of thoses every few years this one was the biggest I think we have had.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:33 PM

17,696 posts, read 24,022,496 times
OP: I think it will be easier to get your family to move back to Berkeley to be with you there...
than it will be to find that sort of environment anywhere in the DC to B'more area.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:40 AM

11 posts, read 10,438 times
my vote is Annapolis .It seems to have all your criteria and I live and work here and love it!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:24 PM

95 posts, read 110,451 times
I am also voting for Annapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland