Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 06:25 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,050,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Yes, God forbid that you might have to drive a couple of miles to the nearest grocery store in exchange for less traffic, lower taxes and less pollution.
After living on the south end of Kent Island for about a decade, I can identify with the advantages of living in a more metropolitan area, where you can walk to a store, even if it is just a convenience store, to get a few things. Live for long enough in an area where you have to drive somewhere for everything you need and you start to wonder what it would be like to live in Manhatten and not be a slave to a car, parking, insurance, etc. Not that I would make that move in this lifetime. But you still think aboput it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2011, 06:43 PM

32 posts, read 98,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slclady View Post
My husband and I (and two small children) have lived in Fairfax County for two years and we feel like we are sort of getting to know the area, at least a little bit. We want to buy something, though, and this darn county is just so expensive that we're looking in Maryland. I've found a lot of great homes in our price range in various parts of northern Anne Arundel County. My husband works in DC so it's important that we are relatively close to a Marc station. (Yes, we know it is a long commute but his commute is fairly long now, too. It's just life.)

Basically, I need the lowdown on the following places (and any places near them).
- Odenton
- Crofton
- Severn
- Pasadena

And if you're feeling generous, maybe these, though I know they aren't in AA county:
- Bowie
- Laurel

My criteria are pretty much what you would expect for someone with a young family, EXCEPT that schools are only an issue for us as far as resale goes because we homeschool.
- SAFE--this is the biggest issue for us. We're really flexible with pretty much everything else.
- lots of kid amenities (parks, community center activities, nature centers, libraries, etc.)
- a family-friendly atmosphere, preferably a place where there are a lot of young families
- it would be a nice bonus to have other stay-at-home moms around

Also, which parts should I avoid?

Thanks so much for your input! I know I'm asking for a lot of information.
As a parent (and fellow stay at home mom) I would avoid PG County at all costs for various reasons. Now, AACO....

All of the places your inquired about are like everywhere else in the world...they have their good sides and their bad sides. I would AVOID Glen Burnie and Severn for sure. Pasadena has a lot to offer for families with small children with Ft. Smallwood Park and Downs Park. Odenton has some nice areas and some VERY sketchy areas (around Ft. Meade) so you'd have to do your research there...you're going to pay for the nice parts. Millersville is hit or miss....it butts up against Glen Burnie so you get some of the crime spilling over from there and I personally wouldn't live there. Crofton's great for families and has the best crime rate among all that you listed but like parts of Odenton you're going to pay to live there. Traffic is a nightmare in all of AACO but Crofton (Route 3 area) is HORRIBLE....keep that in mind.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,598,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
Yes, God forbid that you might have to drive a couple of miles to the nearest grocery store in exchange for less traffic, lower taxes and less pollution.
Doesn't driving more often cause more traffic and more pollution?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:37 AM

503 posts, read 803,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
Doesn't driving more often cause more traffic and more pollution?
It's not like we're talking about 50 miles across a desert here. We're talking less then 5-10 minutes on the road.

Continual expansion of the sprawl creates congestion in more areas, leaving more cars sitting in traffic and, thus, more pollution.

Every time they throw up a new mall or "town center", they tell us it will have no negative impact on traffic yet it's nothing more than a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland