Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
D.C. 17 68.00%
Baltimore 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 10:42 AM

342 posts, read 910,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wanderlust View Post
Better than NY and Boston?
NY yes all day everyday, take away manhattan and long island overall quality of life and city situation yeah way better, Im not a fan of NY, it's a great place I mean it's New York but IMHO it's overrated. Boston is on a totally different level compared to Baltimore and D.C. but everything that glitters is not gold, Boston has it's issues also and side by side comparison I think Boston is better than Baltimore in some areas and Baltimore is better then Boston in some!!

half of Baltimore City police department are all former NYPD because they can come to Baltimore make good money and have a 500k house for the price of a studio in Manhattan
And besides the accents Boston and Baltimore are actually very similar, it's just it's 5x more expensive to live in Boston!! And boston is probably the most vibrant city I've seen in a while!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 02:22 PM

27,427 posts, read 28,498,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Baltimore has its charms but it's more of a cesspool ithan DC. Frankly if things don't change quickly in B-more it is hurtling towards Detroit status.
Baltimore needs to re-invent itself, gentrify and become a more white collar city. Unfortunately, the run-down areas may need to be bull-dozed.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:52 PM

342 posts, read 910,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Baltimore needs to re-invent itself, gentrify and become a more white collar city. Unfortunately, the run-down areas may need to be bull-dozed.
AGREED!!!! But it actua

Old 09-08-2011, 09:13 PM

6,957 posts, read 11,227,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorefella View Post
NY yes all day everyday, take away manhattan and long island overall quality of life and city situation yeah way better, Im not a fan of NY, it's a great place I mean it's New York but IMHO it's overrated. Boston is on a totally different level compared to Baltimore and D.C. but everything that glitters is not gold, Boston has it's issues also and side by side comparison I think Boston is better than Baltimore in some areas and Baltimore is better then Boston in some!!

half of Baltimore City police department are all former NYPD because they can come to Baltimore make good money and have a 500k house for the price of a studio in Manhattan
And besides the accents Boston and Baltimore are actually very similar, it's just it's 5x more expensive to live in Boston!! And boston is probably the most vibrant city I've seen in a while!!
The accents of Boston and Balitmore are similiar Bostonians are "r" droppers that speak a Northern Dialect. Balitmorean, both the old guard that speak Balmerese and the new generation speak a Midland dialect that is rhotric. I would never mistake the two.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:01 PM

10,092 posts, read 9,901,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The accents of Boston and Balitmore are similiar Bostonians are "r" droppers that speak a Northern Dialect. Balitmorean, both the old guard that speak Balmerese and the new generation speak a Midland dialect that is rhotric. I would never mistake the two.
i think he said "besides" the accent.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:10 PM

1,175 posts, read 2,893,116 times
Baltimore and Philly have almost the exact same accent. I don't think Boston is similar. When I first heard Joe Flacco talk, I couldn't believe he wasn't from Baltimore.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:25 PM

6,957 posts, read 11,227,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
i think he said "besides" the accent.
A comma in that sentence would have made all the difference!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 PM

226 posts, read 412,437 times
DC all day long. Baltimore has its charms as others have said but DC has everything. IMHO it gets close to the urban feel of NYC but without the packed in feeling. Good shopping, great nightlife. I would go as far as to say that if you have a pretty good feel of the metro trains, you could easily sightsee in the morning, shop in the afternoon, and go out partying at night every saturday for a month, not hit the same place twice, and not even need to drive to do it.

I brought an ex GF from California out and she immediately fell in love with the place. (Though admittedly, she was just wow'd because the zoo and museums were free. For a second she literally thought I was just sneaking in or something.)

Caveat to this whole thing, this assumes you don't actually LIVE in DC. DC is awesome, as long as you actually reside a good 10 or 15 minutes outside the city limits. (Alexandria/Arlington FTW!)

Matter of fact, right now I am about to move to the linthicum area and I am seriously ok with a slightly longer commute to work, just so that I can be closer to DC for my nightlife and recreation.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:51 PM

226 posts, read 412,437 times
on a side note, just my opinion, but the DC night scene was much better than the San Diego night scene and maybe the LA scene as well, though I really didn't dig too deeply into LA.

I expected much more from CA.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:07 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,673,537 times
D.c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland