U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
D.C. 17 68.00%
Baltimore 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 4,064 times
you have to have a very good reason to live in baltimore...

Last edited by JS.MD; 09-19-2011 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:30 AM

202 posts, read 248,326 times
But I know a lot of people not from Baltimore who love Baltimore and live there or want to live there. I wouldn't mind living in Baltimore because I know not all of it is bad

Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 AM

736 posts, read 847,134 times
Washington DC

Pros: Walkable city, vibrant night life (U Street, Adams Morgan, Georgetown, Chinatown/7th Street corridor, etc.), cleaner city overall, much better public transportation system.

Cons: Parking is a nightmare, traffic into and out of the city on weekday mornings and evenings is a nightmare, cost of living is ridiculous, city is becoming a population of transplants with snooty attitudes.

Baltimore

Pros: Affordable cost of living, better cheap food (D.C. has more, much better 4-5 star restaurants), less congested surrounding area, close proximity to DC!

Cons: Deplorable mass transit system, poorly maintained streets, racist/classist overtones, severe drug problems that contribute heavily to the overall problem of crime, terrible public schools, nightlife is so-so at best, not a very progressive city.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 4,064 times
Re: Dotty19
Baltimore
- most of the comments here , were left based on feelings from weekend, - spent around Inner Harbor or through the windshield at the traffic stop.
Take a bus or subway- and you'll discover a different Baltimore & County you've never seen :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Marylanders: D.C. or Baltimore?-untitled.jpg  

Old 09-20-2011, 12:50 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,305,414 times
I hear nightlife come up, and they are just two completely different scenes, depends what you are into.

If you want to throw on your black shoes, button down shirt, and get a martini or bottle service, than DC is your paradise. Places like this go out of business in Baltimore really fast, and people often say, "They tried to get too DC."

If you want to hang out at a laid back bar with shorts, flip flops and maybe even a hat on, than Baltimore is definitely your place. Baltimore is sort of a preppy paradise when it comes to bars, there is also an artsy bar element as well.

The different scenes sort of represent the different cities. Baltimore is a place where being laid back, and being yourself is what it's all about, DC is all about putting your best foot forward at all times. If you are looking for a "Club" you are either in the wrong City, or you are going to a place you really don't want to be.

There's no right or wrong answer, it just depends what you are into, both places have tons of "Night Life".

Old 09-21-2011, 05:18 AM

736 posts, read 847,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLynch10 View Post
I hear nightlife come up, and they are just two completely different scenes, depends what you are into.

If you want to throw on your black shoes, button down shirt, and get a martini or bottle service, than DC is your paradise. Places like this go out of business in Baltimore really fast, and people often say, "They tried to get too DC."

If you want to hang out at a laid back bar with shorts, flip flops and maybe even a hat on, than Baltimore is definitely your place. Baltimore is sort of a preppy paradise when it comes to bars, there is also an artsy bar element as well.

The different scenes sort of represent the different cities. Baltimore is a place where being laid back, and being yourself is what it's all about, DC is all about putting your best foot forward at all times. If you are looking for a "Club" you are either in the wrong City, or you are going to a place you really don't want to be.

There's no right or wrong answer, it just depends what you are into, both places have tons of "Night Life".
How old are you, 50? I've never had to "put on my black shoes and button down shirt" to hang out on U Street, or Adams Morgan, or on 7th Street. The fact is there are more places to do things other than bar hop (which is mostly what people do when they go to Fells Point and Fed Hill) in D.C. and you dont need to be wearing your Sunday best to do it.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,856,538 times
Default boredatwork

One thing about DC and Bmore as a region is that DC is just a more well oiled machine...for instance, when I worked in Bmore they were doing construction on 695 during the height of rush hour for almost 2 years backing up traffic for hours everyday..they still might be working on it. In the DC area they almost paved a whole section of 495 literally over the weekend at night when the travel was the lowest, simple task...And also little things like traffic light synchronization is what makes a huge difference in the city....In Bmore it may take 10 minutes to go 50 ft bc the traffic lights arent in synch. In DC I can go from NY Ave damn near to U street in 30 sec because when the lights are green they're in synch

Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,545,304 times
I've never spent much time in Baltimore but I'd like to. From what I've heard it's got a different vibe than DC, a little more down to earth and blue collar. But I also hear the city isn't as well run as DC and the crime is definitely worse.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,305,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
How old are you, 50? I've never had to "put on my black shoes and button down shirt" to hang out on U Street, or Adams Morgan, or on 7th Street. The fact is there are more places to do things other than bar hop (which is mostly what people do when they go to Fells Point and Fed Hill) in D.C. and you dont need to be wearing your Sunday best to do it.
I've been to those places they are a bit more upscale than the Fed Hills, Cantons and Fells Points of the world. There is certainly way more "Club" options in DC, no one will argue that.

I've met many people in Baltimore who left DC because they didn't like the vibe, and I've met people in Baltimore who'd rather be in DC.... just different scenes.

Cost is a huge issue between the two cities, obviously. You can afford to buy if you have a good job in Fells, Canton and Federal Hill, you need an outstanding job to buy in Adams Morgan, Georgetown, U-Street. Sadly I've been to people's places in DC that they paid 400k for that I was totally sketched out by the area... and I'm from Baltimore. So I'm glad real estate is much more realistic here.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:27 AM

9,400 posts, read 7,545,304 times
How about the surrounding areas of Baltimore? I'm more of a suburb boy. I drove down to the Lake Shore/Pasadena area once, don't know if that's considered a Baltimore suburb or not, but I liked the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland