Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
D.C. 17 68.00%
Baltimore 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 10:36 AM

1,175 posts, read 2,900,550 times

Advertisements

Pasadena is very Baltimore, the Northern part of Pasadena borders Baltimore. The Whole Towson and parts north area is nice but he traffic is a bit annoying. Catonsville, Linthicum, Ellicot City, Severna Park... some of my favorite Baltimore suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,551,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
How about the surrounding areas of Baltimore? I'm more of a suburb boy. I drove down to the Lake Shore/Pasadena area once, don't know if that's considered a Baltimore suburb or not, but I liked the area.
As for suburbs, I much prefer the suburbs of Baltimore. Much less crowded and sprawling, calmer traffic, affordable and, depending on where you are located in the suburbs, you're within a decent drive to either Philadelphia or D.C. Plus, you can literally drive 15 minutes north of the city line and be in complete farmland country.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 7,088 times
....surrounding areas of Baltimore?
it is quite simple - as closer you're getting toward Baltimore -as more troubles you're getting in .

Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,239,004 times
I don't like the competetive rush to get into Government that seems to prevelent in DC. Sure, not everyone is that way, but I can do without the What do you do? Where did you go to school? Where do you see yourself in two years? mentality. Reminds me too much of LA.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:28 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,657,226 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I don't like the competetive rush to get into Government that seems to prevelent in DC. Sure, not everyone is that way, but I can do without the What do you do? Where did you go to school? Where do you see yourself in two years? mentality. Reminds me too much of LA.
The whole eastern side of the Washington area is almost as blue collar as anywhere else. Alot of Service, hands on physical labor

Old 09-29-2011, 01:21 PM

562 posts, read 989,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I don't mind this attitude however D.C. seems to take it to another level. It is very difficult to develop a social network if you aren't at least moderately well connected. Mind you, most of the nation's largest metros will have this same attitude, in my experience.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:19 AM

7 posts, read 14,800 times
I prefer D.C. any day. Both D.C. and Downtown Baltimore's traffic design suck, too many one ways, but Dtown B-more sucks way more because the city is sorry and alot of parts are unsafe. As a young college student, there's nothing to do there, but intern. DC has a much better club/lounge scene than Bmore, obviously not important to families. John Hopkins University campus and the Inner Harbor are the only good parts in Baltimore city. I digress, past a couple blocks in any directions outside of these two places, the nice factor dramatically declines and you get blue light districts. I dunno if that area with Falls Road is part of the city, ugh, I forgot the name of that place, but that area is cute and quaint. Baltimore County, on the other hand, has some really nice 'burbs. Towson is upscale now, love that Mall even though I can't afford some sections of it.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:25 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Baltimore has its charms but it's more of a cesspool ithan DC. Frankly if things don't change quickly in B-more it is hurtling towards Detroit status.
it's proximity to washington dc prevents that from happening...just my opinion

Old 10-04-2011, 10:32 AM
(-)

690 posts, read 1,865,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Baltimore needs to re-invent itself, gentrify and become a more white collar city. Unfortunately, the run-down areas may need to be bull-dozed.

easier said than done. if it were really that simple. baltimore is making inroads at reinventing itself as a city. just that most of the change is happening within the medical and education fields. it's hard to transition from a strictly blue collar, eat what you kill, kinda town to a white collar, have the maid make it for me city.

i own property in both cities, dc and baltimore. i've lived through the bad years of dc and the horrible years of baltimore. you can't compare dc to baltimore. baltimore doesn't have access to the unlimited (seemingly) funds that dc government does. dc has a specialized police force for everything. baltimore has a sheriff and a police force. really kind of hard to honestly compare the two.

i love the cosmopolitan and diverse feel that dc brings. i also love the down home, true to life feeling that baltimore brings.

if baltimore would focus more of it's development outside of the downtown area, i really think it would grow. the key to dc's turn around was getting more people to buy into the city. let's not pretend that dc was a great place to live 10 to 15 years ago. i remember buying property in dc for 30k.

i think people need to be more honest about this debate. i see a lot of hyperbole in here.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:12 AM

52 posts, read 130,711 times
Neither.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland