Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
D.C. 17 68.00%
Baltimore 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:21 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I know that. Why is that though. DC folks give a flying @#$# about Baltimore or may even boost yall a little as an underdogg. DC dudes wear Orioles hats as a fashion statement not even knowing how much Baltimore hates them. I wasnt a typical college student I was "out there" getting a full Baltimore experience. The thing I dont like is there is hostility toward DC in Baltimore but DC doesnt even know it bc no one ever comes from Baltimore to display their dislike for DC while DC area folks are all through Baltimore like its nothing.
Right! I go to Bmore all the time. I have family/peeps on the West side and they all show me a good time when I come around. I don't see the hostility. I know there was a little ruckus a few years back between some PG and Bmore kids at Morgan but that has since disappeared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:55 AM

406 posts, read 486,501 times
The thing is that a lot of people from the DC area look down at Baltimore as if they're superior. Maybe not some of the folks who live in the rougher areas of DC, but deifnitely people in the higher income DC suburbs. Baltimoreans tend to resent that...we're always overlooked on the east coast and at the end of the day any true Baltimorean would defend his or her city in a heartbeat. DC doesn't need to do that because it isn't constantly bashed as Baltimore is. Try having two televsion series in the 1990s & 2000s about murders and crime in the city and then having to convince people that the city has more to offer. We can't say, "look thats the president's house". We have to be more creative for our city to rebound.

In fact, HBO is filming a new series in Baltimore that is not crime related, but more on the political side, but guess what, Baltimore is playing the role of DC. SMH If that doesn't sum up some of the frustrations Baltimoreans have for their neighbor 40 mins to the south I don't know what will.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:09 AM

2,596 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
The thing is that a lot of people from the DC area look down at Baltimore as if they're superior. Maybe not some of the folks who live in the rougher areas of DC, but deifnitely people in the higher income DC suburbs. Baltimoreans tend to resent that...we're always overlooked on the east coast and at the end of the day any true Baltimorean would defend his or her city in a heartbeat. DC doesn't need to do that because it isn't constantly bashed as Baltimore is. Try having two televsion series in the 1990s & 2000s about murders and crime in the city and then having to convince people that the city has more to offer. We can't say, "look thats the president's house". We have to be more creative for our city to rebound.

In fact, HBO is filming a new series in Baltimore that is not crime related, but more on the political side, but guess what, Baltimore is playing the role of DC. SMH If that doesn't sum up some of the frustrations Baltimoreans have for their neighbor 40 mins to the south I don't know what will.
But basic knowledge will tell you from the 80's up until 2003 DC wasnt in a position to boost about anything at all. This is the new DC. DC doesnt need a tv series bc its on CNN/ FOXNEWS/60 minutes being blamed for all the country's problems. All you are describing is a basic superiority/inferiority complex situation. Also the different metros dont see each other's media to let each other know whats going on in both regions. Both areas have problems

Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 PM

406 posts, read 486,501 times
Lets be honest here, Washington DC as a city is not being blamed for the country's problems, its the politicians who work there who get the blame. Maybe your thought that the city is getting blamed for all the country's problems is an example of your superiority complex ; )

Old 11-09-2011, 11:38 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
But basic knowledge will tell you from the 80's up until 2003 DC wasnt in a position to boost about anything at all. This is the new DC. DC doesnt need a tv series bc its on CNN/ FOXNEWS/60 minutes being blamed for all the country's problems. All you are describing is a basic superiority/inferiority complex situation. Also the different metros dont see each other's media to let each other know whats going on in both regions. Both areas have problems
Outside of Capitol Hill, what exactly is going on with DC?? I have to agree with Tommy Carcetti on the fact that DC does get A LOT of shine, meanwhile, Baltimore has to come up with it's own niche. Also, Baltimore being filmed as DC it quite annoying.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:42 AM

2,596 posts, read 4,658,144 times
Default boredatwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Outside of Capitol Hill, what exactly is going on with DC?? I have to agree with Tommy Carcetti on the fact that DC does get A LOT of shine, meanwhile, Baltimore has to come up with it's own niche. Also, Baltimore being filmed as DC it quite annoying.
DC gets shine because its still the nations capital, not Baltimore's rival down the road. Outside of capitol hill people are doing things like they do in other cities. I consider Washington to be for the politicians, D.C for the local residents who care less about politics.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:12 AM

72 posts, read 150,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
This guy is the definition of tool and the reason why Baltimoreans have no respect for DC and its suburbs. A bunch of snobbish transients with no local culture. Say what you want about Baltimore, but at the end of the day its a real city.
Truth must hurt because the 'tool' is telling the blunt truth.

Baltimore's local culture--

Old 11-11-2011, 06:03 AM

345 posts, read 976,892 times
Baltimore. Not even close.

I grew up in Southern Maryland, about an hour from DC and an hour and a half from Baltimore. DC never felt like a "Maryland" city to me, in part because it isn't. But I never had any emotional attachment whatsoever to DC. Other than going on a school field trip there once every year or two, there was no real reason for me to go there. It could have been 1,000 miles away for all intents and purposes.

On the other hand, my family read the Baltimore Sun, watched WJZ news, rooted for the Orioles, rooted for the Ravens, flew out of BWI. Even though I didn't grow up in either DC or Baltimore proper, I always considered "my city" to be Baltimore.

Baltimore feels like an actual city, with a skyline, interesting neighborhoods, and a distinct intrinsic culture to it.

DC to me just seems like a showplace for the federal government center and monuments, surrounded by square miles of either urban decay or urban sprawl. Its character is defined by the fact it is our nation's capital, but it doesn't really have anything to say about itself as a city. I'm sorry, once you got beyond the well manicured center of the city around the Mall and the Government buildings, I just found DC to be something of a pit. And it has what has to be the most illogical, frustrating and confusing street layout in this country. (I will give props for its metro system, however, DC's one saving grace.)

Yes, I know the areas of Georgetown and Dupont Circle are nice, and there are undoubtedly some good entertainment spots in DC. And I know there are portions of Baltimore, especially the west side, that have been terribly affected by the problems of urban blight.

But on the whole, Baltimore has the culture and the soul that DC could only dream of having.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walthammie View Post
John Hopkins University campus and the Inner Harbor are the only good parts in Baltimore city.
Federal Hill? Fells Point? Canton? Charles Village? Roland Park? Guiford?

Just because The Wire was the best television series ever made (and it definitely is, hands down, just an incredible show) doesn't mean that the areas of Baltimore featured on that show are indicative of the entire city as a whole.

They filmed the movie "He's Just Not That Into You" in Baltimore, and my sister who lived in Canton said that the yuppie lifestyle portrayed in that film was actually not that unrealistic as to the people she interacted with in her neighborhood.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wanderlust View Post

Baltimore's local culture--
Crabcakes, "Welcome to Baltimore, Hon", Barry Levinson, David Simon, John Waters, "O! say does that star spangled banner yet wave...", Wild Bill Hagy, the Colts (the real Colts, not the Indianpolis NFL franchise that uses the name), Diner, Anne Tyler, HL Mencken, Edgar Allen Poe, baseball's ironman, the Bromo Seltzer Tower, the original Washington Monument, the USS Constellation, and on and on and on.

Are you kidding me? Baltimore oozes local culture and local flavor.

How many times do you see movies, tv shows or novels (barometers of culture) set in DC that don't have to do with some aspect of government? Very few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland