Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:10 PM

10 posts, read 22,953 times

Advertisements

I am planning to rent a place in Columbia as that would be closer to my fiance's work place but I'll have to commute from Columbia to Germantown for work.

I did some research and found out that my best bet would be to take Clarksville Pike (MD-108) - Georgia ave and then MD-200 to get to Germantown.

However I am not sure about the traffic on MD-108 during office hours. Would appreciate if someone can share their experience or point out if I can make any modification to this route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 04:37 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
I think it's a good route. When I have used it traffic was not a problem. Maybe you should use 108 further beyond Georgia Ave and use one of the back roads to Germantown? No toll and less traffic that way.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 AM

386 posts, read 655,549 times
I would take 29 > 70 > 270 OR head to the beltway and head up from there on 270.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I think it's a good route. When I have used it traffic was not a problem. Maybe you should use 108 further beyond Georgia Ave and use one of the back roads to Germantown? No toll and less traffic that way.

Thanks! That actually makes more sense. I looked up on google maps and taking Brink road then Germantown road would save me the toll on MD-200 while taking almost the same time.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
I would take 29 > 70 > 270 OR head to the beltway and head up from there on 270.
The only problem with that is both 29 and Beltway are way too crowded during office hours. That's why want to try the back roads to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your input though ! Appreciated !

Old 09-08-2011, 06:14 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terp007 View Post
Thanks! That actually makes more sense. I looked up on google maps and taking Brink road then Germantown road would save me the toll on MD-200 while taking almost the same time.
I had a similar commute years ago (River Hill to old town G'burg). And I'd cut through Olney/Brookville, Laytonsville etc. Basically Brighton Dam, 650, sundown etc. You'd find new routes through the local roads. Which helps in bad weather or accidents.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I had a similar commute years ago (River Hill to old town G'burg). And I'd cut through Olney/Brookville, Laytonsville etc. Basically Brighton Dam, 650, sundown etc. You'd find new routes through the local roads. Which helps in bad weather or accidents.
Thanks Macroy ! How long it used to take you to cover that distance and do you thing it's doable considering I'll be leaving Columbia at around 8:30 in the morning and leave Germantown around 5:30 in the evening all 5 days a week.
Also did you have any problems commuting on this route in winters?

Would be great if you could answer these questions. Thanks again

Old 09-08-2011, 12:07 PM

386 posts, read 655,549 times
Quote:
The only problem with that is both 29 and Beltway are way too crowded during office hours. That's why want to try the back roads to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your input though ! Appreciated !
Yeah since switching to a more local job I have forgotten the traffic.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:03 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,286,252 times
Quote:
Thanks Macroy ! How long it used to take you to cover that distance and do you thing it's doable considering I'll be leaving Columbia at around 8:30 in the morning and leave Germantown around 5:30 in the evening all 5 days a week.
Also did you have any problems commuting on this route in winters?

Would be great if you could answer these questions. Thanks again
it would take me 45-60mins normally. But I also headed out by 7am. Having said that, the biggest backups I ran into were in the Laytonsville/G'burg area; when I mixed in with the local commuters heading for 270. So you leaving later may actually avoid that, or trade it in with commuters in the Olney area.

As far as adverse weather.... I don't recall any issues traveling on the side streets.

I will say that this was a few years ago. Although I do still head down to Rockville (King Farm area) every so often from Ellicott City (70/97/650/Sundown/Muncaster). And the light at 97/650 does get backed up... I see cars taking a detour at Howard Chapel to Sundown. Aside from that - the biggest backup is at the Shady Grove Metro area... which won't affect you since you're going further west to Germantown... ;-).

Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
it would take me 45-60mins normally. But I also headed out by 7am. Having said that, the biggest backups I ran into were in the Laytonsville/G'burg area; when I mixed in with the local commuters heading for 270. So you leaving later may actually avoid that, or trade it in with commuters in the Olney area.

As far as adverse weather.... I don't recall any issues traveling on the side streets.

I will say that this was a few years ago. Although I do still head down to Rockville (King Farm area) every so often from Ellicott City (70/97/650/Sundown/Muncaster). And the light at 97/650 does get backed up... I see cars taking a detour at Howard Chapel to Sundown. Aside from that - the biggest backup is at the Shady Grove Metro area... which won't affect you since you're going further west to Germantown... ;-).

Awesome that sounds reasonable then and guess I'll probably go with it ! Thanks again !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland