Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,664 times

Advertisements

Howdy Marylandian

I'm planning my first trip to MD and VA this Christmas, but my friend said the weather will just be so horrible; heavy snow and icing will be predictably unpleasant. I do love snow and the winter very much, though. I've been in TX just forever (since I've been in the US) to know how bad the heavy snow could be.
Is it a good idea to visit MD on this time of the year? What are the preferable places that I would want to put on my Christmas trip's plan?
I'm 23 yr old girl, travel by myself, and I always love to see new awesome people in town!! So ladies and gentlemen please please with a cherry on top, help me!!

Last edited by mercury_tanana; 09-29-2011 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 08:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
even without the (rather minor) weather risk aspects...
Christmas is not a good time to visit *anywhere*.

But if that is the only time you have available...
what choice do you have?

If you can come anytime... then come late in April into May
(but pick a less rainy year)

hth

Old 09-29-2011, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,664 times
Each season has its own beauty, I think. Don't be too rational, MrRational
Snow equals terrific!! I only saw the snow two times in my life, I really love to see abundance of it, even dying in snow would be fun jk
Does everybody really just hide in the house when snow falling? MD is absolutely no fun in winter time??? really?

Old 09-29-2011, 09:39 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury_tanana View Post
Snow equals terrific!
I didn't read into your note that you wanted to see snow; if anything you seemed more concerned about the fallout from harsh weather wrt sight seeing. But I still didn't address that because it's mostly a non issue.

Most of MD doesn't usually get much snow until February.
And then it doesn't last very long (plenty of cold and icy rain though).

I addressed traveling (anywhere) during the busiest travel time of the year.
But if you *want* snow at Christmas... Try somewhere farther north and/or with more mountains.

hth

Old 09-29-2011, 09:40 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
I grew up in Chicago. When you deal with snow each and every winter, yes you do just hide in the house. I do understand, though, the beauty that a snowy day can have.

I spent a summer working outside Baltimore. I don't know what MD does in winter, but one weekend that summer I went down to Colonial Williamsburg and had a good deal of fun playing with the role-enactors (I let them know that I was from Alta California ... one of those 'ugh! Spaniards', ... they made the most of that ). I imagine that would be pretty wonderful to go there around Christmas time.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:57 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
If your "friend" is telling you horror stories about winter in MD at Christmas he must not want you to visit. It's more likely to be in the upper 40's, even the low 50's than it is to be snowy and icy at that time. It's something like almost 30 years since MD had snow on Christmas Day (that excludes Western MD because of its geography and location).

Can it be "winter" weather at that time? Well, yes. But the odds are against it. The winter two years ago where we got hammered the few days before Christmas with snow and back to back blizzards a few weeks later was an aberration. Even last year's storms were unusual.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:13 AM

27,547 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury_tanana View Post
Howdy Marylandian

I'm planning my first trip to MD and VA this Christmas, but my friend said the weather will just be so horrible; heavy snow and icing will be predictably unpleasant. I do love snow and the winter very much, though. I've been in TX just forever (since I've been in the US) to know how bad the heavy snow could be.
Is it a good idea to visit MD on this time of the year? What are the preferable places that I would want to put on my Christmas trip's plan?
Generally, Christmas is not a time that Marylanders like to do that much local traveling. It's more of a family get-together time or vacation getaway time. It's usually too cold in Maryland for most people to enjoy the outdoors.

But that certainly doesn't mean you can't visit Maryland during that time if you don't mind the cold. Why not? It should be fun. Keep in mind that in the event of a snowstorm, you need to be prepared for road closings, flight cancelations, etc. Other than that, visit Maryland anytime you want. It's a great state with lots of things to see and do all year round.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-29-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-29-2011, 11:53 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
I assume you mean the DC area for your visit. If so, the DC area is booming with shoppers and decorations and activity around christmas. Georgetown is especially beautiful during this time as well. The sculpture park on the national mall has ice skating and christmas music also. There probably won't be any snow but the christmas festivities will be going on everywhere. Don't forget to see the National Christmas Tree on the White House Lawn. Maybe catch the nutcracker at the Kennedy Center. The Merry Madagascar Ice Sculpture Paradise at the Gaylord National Harbor is also a must see. These are just a few options for you. Enjoy!

Old 09-29-2011, 12:50 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
December in Maryland is grey, short daylight, cold weather, little precip. All of the other posters are right, with the exception of Garrett and Western Allegany County (both up in the higher mountains), the snow/ice doesn't normally hit Maryland until the Gulf of Mexico starts dumping moisture up into the Ohio Valley in Feb. and early March.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 PM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
December in Maryland is grey, short daylight, cold weather, little precip. All of the other posters are right, with the exception of Garrett and Western Allegany County (both up in the higher mountains), the snow/ice doesn't normally hit Maryland until the Gulf of Mexico starts dumping moisture up into the Ohio Valley in Feb. and early March.

All perfect for me to hit my field blinds for geese. And we do get our share of sunny, cloudless days then. Enough so that I carry a pair of shooting/sun glasses in my blind bag.

Maybe it's my NWPA upbringing but I wouldn't call most of MD cold. Not when most days get above freezing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland