Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:57 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,355,083 times

Advertisements

Even though I'm a DC area native, I had never been to Ocean City until this past weekend. This is especially ironic given the fact that I just moved from the DC area a few weeks ago. Well, I personally loved it there and had a terrific time. Ocean City to me has always had a bit of a sleazy and trashy reputation just sort of as a drunken wasteland full of crazy college and high school kids so I was surprised to see it rather sedate, mixed in terms of the crowd it attracts and rather clean and modern. However, after my trip, I was doing some random reading up on Ocean City and was shocked to see upon looking at it's page here on City Data of the stratospheric crime rate. The city's crime rate of over 1800 per 100,000 people is one of the highest I've ever seen. It is double or triple the rates of cities renowned as dangerous such as Gary, Newark, Camden, Detroit, Baltimore, New Orleans and Atlanta. The only city I've seen with a higher crime rate is East St. Louis, Illinois. As a point of comparison with DC, you are nearly four times more likely to be robbed, six times more likely to be burglarized, seven times more likely to be raped, and ten times more likely to be assaulted in Ocean City than you are in DC. Considering the vacation nature of the place, as an area where young kids go to party, a bit of elevated crime rate is to be expected, but not to this extent. Ocean City is also a much smaller city with 7,000 year-round residents so a handful of crimes has a proportionally larger impact on the crime rate than it does a large city, but that still wouldn't account for such incredibly high crime rates. I should say though at the very least that Ocean City has a very low murder rate (maybe one murder a year) but in all other areas, crime is through the roof.

I'm just curious to hear from any locals as to why this is and how, if at all, it affects quality of life in the area. Is the crime heavily confined to the tourists in the summer months, or is Ocean City really a very dangerous city for the locals year-round? It certainly didn't LOOK to be an area with such a high crime rate when I was there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 08:07 AM

168 posts, read 669,504 times
Im sure there will be a yocal that insists these stats are untrue. IMHO the shore has a higher crime rate due to the lack of decent paying jobs and high real estate prices. There arent any good decent paying jobs due to the smaller year round population. Imagine if tourism wasnt so big during the summer months, their would be even less to do here(scary).

Old 01-03-2009, 04:52 AM

37 posts, read 315,289 times
well u also got to take into fact who is getting robbed...because alot of black people dont call the police when they are robbed...i been robbed 3 times in 2 yrs and never called the feds once....

Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 PM

64 posts, read 248,200 times
There not a lot of violent crime in OC, but there is a lot of property crime.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:22 PM

64 posts, read 248,200 times
Something I missed before, you have to factor in there is an estimated summer weekend population of 320K to 345K people. Once you do that, and if you presume most of the crime happens when visitors are there, then the crime rates in OC, for violent crime and property crime, fall to just a fraction of the national average.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:23 PM

217 posts, read 415,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyko View Post
well u also got to take into fact who is getting robbed...because alot of black people dont call the police when they are robbed...i been robbed 3 times in 2 yrs and never called the feds once....

why not? hopefully the next time one of these thugs rob someone, they don't kill the victim..Could be someone in your own family.. think of that one.. Call and report it or are you afraid or what.. thats what the thugs think.. your a sissy and very much afraid.. stand up with whats right and don't let this continue.. you could of been another # in the homicide column..

Old 08-15-2013, 06:29 AM

3 posts, read 6,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncesir View Post
Im sure there will be a yocal that insists these stats are untrue. IMHO the shore has a higher crime rate due to the lack of decent paying jobs and high real estate prices. There arent any good decent paying jobs due to the smaller year round population. Imagine if tourism wasnt so big during the summer months, their would be even less to do here(scary).
I think we would do just fine without the terrorist tourists. But that's just a 'yokels' opinion.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:52 PM

631 posts, read 1,388,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncesir View Post

You have stats to back this up??

Im a Shore native, now reside in the DC Area. OC Crime is bad in the summer when... Oh I dont know...The visitors from BALTIMORE, DELAWARE, DC, NEW JERSEY, etc visit. Its not the locals. I had friends that worked their as OCPD Officers when we were in college, most of the offenders were people from NJ, Deleware, Baltimore, Annapolis, PG County, Mo County, and VA.

Most of the crime in OC is petty crimes, Assualt, UA Drinking, Public Intoxication. No murders, rapes, etc. Worcester County has a low crime rate in general compared to Wicomico County. Some folks portray OC as if its NYC or DC back in the 1980s. It is still family resort town, and a big tourist destination. Even though I think its a dump, but Im from Salisbury so I never thought of it to be a great place to be.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:53 PM

3,237 posts, read 3,918,686 times
OC isnt bad, its mostly drunks doing stupid stuff. I remember I was in jail for a short bit for stealing chairs from a restaurant there, its a rite of passage. Rape and murder isnt likely

Old 08-15-2013, 04:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 4,764,579 times
It is usually stupid stuff. I noticed in the past the crime data rates are way up there on city-data and since then I don't even bother paying attention to crime statistics because they don't mean $#!+.

Just a rough idea based on numbers from these posts (yes this is an old thread) but if you have a real population of less then 10000 and a summer population of 250000 - 300000 it doesn't take rocket science to figure out the amount of crime from the 250000 (which isn't much) and put it against the real population of less then 10000 to get a rediculas high ratio of crime showing an extremely safe place is one of the most unsafe in the country. Did that make any sense?

I've lived around here for years and know many, many people here as well. I don't know a single person who has had any issue with anybody short of a drunkin fight late at night. And I've spent many a night wandering around all of OC and West OC at all hours of the night craving late night grub after a night of drinking.

As mentioned the rare thuggery you here about is usually someone coming here from a ghetto in Wash, Balt, or Philly and it makes statewide news so these other places can be sure to paint OC as a very dangerous place. Nothing can be further from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland