U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-11-2008, 10:24 AM

130 posts, read 284,503 times

Advertisements

LETS PUT THIS TO REST!

Below is from a site i dearly use to prove my point,a study on the traditional native Maryland accents,click the link below to listen

Dialects Of Maryland

IDEA - Dialects of Maryland

Here you will find downloadable mp3 recordings of accent/dialect speakers from the region you selected, plus textfiles giving their biographical details, and scholarly commentary in some cases. The recordings average four minutes in length, and in most cases feature both the reading of one of our two standard passages, and some unscripted speech

http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/.../maryland1.mp3

Maryland One - Text

Subject One is a twenty year old student at a small liberal arts college in Northern Maryland. He has had a few theatre classes, but has made no effort to correct his dialect. His brother (subject two), is a freshman (eighteen years old) at the same school. Both young men grew up in a small town on Maryland's Eastern Shore, where little has changed in the last 50 years. The big excitement on the weekends is still to "Roll the Bowl", meaning drive around the parking lot of the town's bowling alley. Although their mother is not from the area, the father and grandfather grew up there on the property where they still live. Although subject one seems to think his accent is not as pronounced as his brother's, it is still the interviewer's impression that it is actually more authentic to the region. Recorded by Elizabeth van den Berg on 10/14/99, and edited by Shawn M. Muller on 11/29/99. Recording length 00:03:33.

http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/.../maryland2.mp3

Maryland Two - Text

Subject is white, a 40+ mother of three and step-mother to two. She is employed as a housekeeper at Western Maryland College, Westminster, MD, and has lived in the area all her life. Born on a farm in Howard County (adjacent to Baltimore) her family moved to Baltimore city when she was a young child. Her dialect is typical of the Baltimore area. Note the pronunciation of Baltimore ("Bal-mor") and the lack of plosive endings. This interview was recorded by Elizabeth van den Berg on 2/22/2000 and edited by Paul Meier on 2/29/2000. Running time 00:03:04.

http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/.../maryland3.mp3
Maryland Three - Text

The subject is aged 60 and was born and raised in Baltimore Maryland, with very little travel experience. She has relocated twice, once to Road Island and once to San Diego, but returned to Baltimore between and after she moved. She is currently living in Baltimore.

POINT PROVEN!!!!!!!!

TRADITIONAL MARYLAND ACCENTS EVEN THE TWO BOYS WITH THE MINIMAL SOUTHERN TWANGS ARE STILL DISTANT SOUNDING FROM A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN ACCENTS.MARYLAND IS NORTH,MOST SOUND NORTHERN OR AT LEAST MID ATLANTIC.

IF ANYONE OF THESE PEOPLE GO SOUTH THEY WILL BE HIT WITH THE ""YANKEE""YOU TAWK(TALK)SO CITY""REMARK

Last edited by MD_IS_NORTH; 02-11-2008 at 10:45 AM..

Old 02-11-2008, 10:34 AM

http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/.../virginia2.mp3
http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/.../virginia3.mp3
http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/.../virginia1.mp3

NOW THESE ARE SOUTHERN ACCENTS,CLEARLY AND THEY GET EVEN MORE STRONG THE MORE AUDIOS YOU LISTEN TO STATES SOUTHWARD

Old 02-11-2008, 10:58 AM

834 posts, read 2,325,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD_IS_NORTH View Post
http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/.../virginia2.mp3
http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/.../virginia3.mp3
http://web.ku.edu/idea/northamerica/.../virginia1.mp3

NOW THESE ARE SOUTHERN ACCENTS,CLEARLY AND THEY GET EVEN MORE STRONG THE MORE AUDIOS YOU LISTEN TO STATES SOUTHWARD
Maybe his keyboard is broken, so the ALL CAPS button is stuck down. Still can't figure out the all-bold though.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
Maybe his keyboard is broken, so the ALL CAPS button is stuck down. Still can't figure out the all-bold though.
NAH,I JUST LIKE THE WAY IT LOOKS BETTER,IT ALWAYS SET OFF ENERGY THAT GRABS MORE ATTENTION EASILY BECAUSE OF ITS VIGOROUS LOOK.

DID YOU LISTEN TO THE AUDIO?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:58 AM

3,155 posts, read 4,444,001 times
MDisnorth, I am well aware of the IDEA website. In fact I know the two brothers from Easton very well, I went to school with them. The site's main focus is not to present all of the dialects in a state, but rather to prepare stage actors for performing in dialect. The site is not meant to be a complete summary of all of the dialects of the state.

Honestly, I would define the two brothers accents as Southern. There are numerous Southern dialects ranging from the deep think accents of rural North Carolina and Georgia to the more prestigesious dialects of the educated and rich. Are any of these less Southern than any other? In general the Southern Dialect is defined by the monothagation of /i/. Both of these samples have that in spades.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:16 PM

17 posts, read 50,619 times
I'm from Southern Maryland and I always felt like Maryland didn't have an accent until I moved to Minnesota. In MN I turned heads all the time when talking, when I told people I was from MD, they would always say they didn't realize MD was in the South (almost like they didn't believe I was from MD), I would always respond jokingly... "Well, I'm from Southern MD!" ....and from looking at the maps there was actually some truth to it!

Old 02-11-2008, 12:20 PM

835 posts, read 2,157,935 times
I can't figure out why there is all this debate. If you live in Maryland (and were born and raised here) then I think we as individuals get to decide if we want to be southern or if we want to be northern. Because of our geographic location, its more a mindset not a circumstance of location. We are in the middle geographically, and if I want to be southern, I'll be southern. If I want to be northern, then I'll be northern. Accents have nothing to do with it. Sweet tea does not make us who we are. By the way, I grew up 3 miles outside of DC and drank iced tea with lots of suger. We just didn't call it sweet tea.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:43 PM

4,683 posts, read 7,429,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I can't figure out why there is all this debate. If you live in Maryland (and were born and raised here) then I think we as individuals get to decide if we want to be southern or if we want to be northern. Because of our geographic location, its more a mindset not a circumstance of location. We are in the middle geographically, and if I want to be southern, I'll be southern. If I want to be northern, then I'll be northern. Accents have nothing to do with it. Sweet tea does not make us who we are. By the way, I grew up 3 miles outside of DC and drank iced tea with lots of suger. We just didn't call it sweet tea.
I really REALLY agree with you on this one. I'm a 23 year old Asian American male who moved to Maryland from Louisiana at age 7. I don't have a southern accent but I do say "ya'll". On AIM with friends I would say things like "ain't" and "reckon" but I don't have a southern accent though I wish I had one. To me, a southern or "country" is part of the mix that makes me feel more American (this is important to me as someone born to immigrant parents). This mix also includes voting Republican, going to church, listening to country music and being a NASCAR. Bascially the South epitomizes the Real America. I think that if I can be at home in a CMT video, there's no question about assimilation anymore.

But I am very southern in my mindset and perhaps tastes. I was raised with the right values. I am a conservative Republican who believes in moral values (I am pro-life and support abstinence education, against gay marriage), a strong military. I am a patriot who respects the U.S. military and the men and women who serve.

I proudly display the American flag from my window and the Support Our Troops sticker behind my car. WHen I graduate from pharmacy or dental school and can buy my own car (my mom helped pay partially for my car now) I want it to be a FOrd or Chevy pickup truck that I can drive to football tailgates and barbecues. I listen to country music all the time. Its about the only genre I listen to.

I am down to Earth and do not like snotty, arrogant people like the people from the north. One day I also want to own a powerboat to take to lakes with friends and my ideal wife is a small-town girl from the south or the midwest. I really want to learn how to hunt and I support the second amendment unlike a lot of "northern" Marylanders. The fact that Hillary Clinton is a northeast liberal alone is a legitimate reason for me to not vote for her. I refuse to vote for Barack because he's liberal.

And to this day, I refuse to listen to the Dixie Chicks. I know where I stand. If you dont' agree with me, that's too damn bad.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:15 PM

655 posts, read 1,319,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Vivo, I understand what you're saying, my parents are Asian immigrants. I like to believe I'm a good ol'boy from the south, especially having lived in New Orleans until 7. Read my other posts and the images of the north vs. south and see why I'd rather present myself as and be seen as a southerner. I got a second job as a host in a restaurant (an Outback in Silver Spring) and I always say "ya'll" to customers instead of "you guys". When I use southernisms, I sound friendlier and it makes me feel friendlier and helps me do my job better. Politics aside, I love John Edwards's accent. A northern accent, in contrast, makes a person sound very rude, pushy, snotty, stuck-up, and arrogant.

As for the ethnic thing, it seems most African Americans here are laid-back and relatively friendly compared to whites and a lot of Jewish Americans in this area are very arrogant and snotty but its more regional than ethnic. Most blacks here are originally southerners and most Jews here have roots in the NY area. Jews I know who are actually Maryland natives are great people and black people I know who are originally from up north are very pushy, arrogant, uppity and snotty just like most other Yankees.

Why would I want to be from the north? I'd take a sprawling, strip-malled suburbia from Houston or Atlanta anyday over the rusting factories and crumbling public housing projects of Philadelphia and Newark. Unfortuantely Baltimore feels a lot more like Philly and Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Detroit than a southern city. Baltimore's "famed rowhouses" are ugly compared to the stately architecture you see in New Orleans and Charleston and Savannah.

Plus, do you want downhome southern hospitality, friendly small towns, sweet tea, and front porches or would you rather want snotty trophy wives driving BMWs and arrogant, pompous guys in suits and cell phones reading the New York Times at Starbucks? Take you pick
the way u put it it's friendly south vs non-friendly north. i'm not sure how valid that is. u could live in a suburb in the north without rusting factories. what about the rural north? hehe try maine. some of the southern stereotypes as well are offputting as u know. the weather is beetter down south, the cost of living (I wonder if that will become less of an issue with the declining housing market), and the areas which are booming are down south.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
MDisnorth, I am well aware of the IDEA website. In fact I know the two brothers from Easton very well, I went to school with them. The site's main focus is not to present all of the dialects in a state, but rather to prepare stage actors for performing in dialect. The site is not meant to be a complete summary of all of the dialects of the state.

Honestly, I would define the two brothers accents as Southern. There are numerous Southern dialects ranging from the deep think accents of rural North Carolina and Georgia to the more prestigesious dialects of the educated and rich. Are any of these less Southern than any other? In general the Southern Dialect is defined by the monothagation of /i/. Both of these samples have that in spades.
LOL stop it!,there is no native MD accent that is traditionally southern,that is factual man,realize this,the most are southern dialects of an overall mid atlantic accent which is still northern of a traditional southern accent because the speeches and pronounciations are usually concurrent to location north to south.Most of the southern dialects are usually due to the migration from the south,what part of this do you not understand.Those brothers are the epitome of how an eastern shore resident speaks,if those brothers were to go to the south,they would be called yankees,they do not speak like the virginians.

To call there accent southern must mean your comparing it to a traditional southern accent,the two brothers do not have a traditional southern accent,they have that twang that switches from northern to southern alike and that is so obvious just by mere listening,there southern twangs are very subtle as they speak,yet you can hear it with some of the words they say,overall the accent is not southern,the words they used were very northern.Just compare the two brothers to the way the the virginians sound.There is no site,no audio in existent that will display a native Maryland accent being traditionally southern,the most you have from its natives are those mixed dialects resulting from the southern migration accent becoming large along with its population.Its common sense.The average Maryland native does not carry a southern accent that are the same as those south of it.There are people in Southern Jersey that have those eastern shore accents.Someone from eastern shore goes to North Carolina,they are likely to be called CITY!,that is because even though there may a dialect thats similar,it is not the same by a longshot.

Last edited by MD_IS_NORTH; 02-11-2008 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland