Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 AM

32 posts, read 131,718 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I am considering a job that would require 6 months to a year's training in the company's Columbia office.

I have been doing some research on housing, and I am becoming very skeptical that affordable rent exists in the Columbia area. I am hoping to find a 3 bedroom apartment that is not in the ghetto, as it would be me, my fiance, our 11 month old, and my best friend. Both my fiance and my friend are still in school, so we are hoping to find something that is $1000 or less.

Does anyone know if we are being unrealistic? Are there any towns near Columbia that might have something like what we are looking for? How bad is traffic in Columbia?

Any help you could give me would be fantastic!

Also, we are are from a small town in Southern New Hampshire, and would prefer not to be in the heart of a city.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 10:52 AM

3 posts, read 21,962 times
Default Belmont Station

I think it might be a bit unrealistic, especially in Columbia. Columbia also has it's fair share of Section 8 housing, so be skeptical of any place that meets your price range.

Just as a baromoter, my wife and I are considering a townhome in Belmont Station (www.belmontstationmd.com) and they are also building apartments there, 3 BRs for $1500 and 2 BRs for $1350. This is in Elkridge, which is about 5 minutes from Columbia.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:34 PM

Thanks! I'll check out the link!

Old 08-29-2007, 06:27 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,220,300 times
Columbia apt complexes and housing have special programs for low income. I don't know your situation financially but if your not making a high salary maybe you can get into a nice complex under this program. They love college graduates who aren't making enough.....

Old 08-30-2007, 06:17 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,670 times
My brother lives in Columbia and he pays $1300 for a 3 bedroom, at the Island Club Apt. off Columbia Rd. I think that's pretty typical.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:42 AM

That's good to know. I don't know yet what I would be making while in Maryland, becuase the job is destined for Atlanta and the salary quote I was given is for that area.

Thank you all for your help, now I have some information to use when we find out if we're definitely moving!

Old 08-31-2007, 05:21 PM

47 posts, read 409,581 times
My husband and I rented for awhile in Columbia before buying a home here recently. We had a nice apartment in the southern part of Columbia -- two bedrooms, two baths -- for about $1,400/month. I don't think you'll find that kind of space for much less than that.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2011, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,398 times
I need some help i live in columbia but right now im renting a room but i want to get my own apartment Im having a hard time because Im young mother, also i am not working at the moment but will soon.. i have gone see these new apartments named monarch mill apt. but they do not want to give me a price range for me to be on low income program.. At first the told me i would may get apt this month or april but now they are telling something else til oct and next they will tell me something else. but i dont i much time right now because i am leaving very soon from where i am living now and Im very annoy about the whole situation... I need help!!!

Old 03-23-2011, 02:06 PM

281 posts, read 811,344 times
I thought I'd update since I am looking at the Island Club Apartments too on Columbia Rd.

Right now (2011) it is $1750 or so for a 3bdr apartment there. Clearly the rents have gone up.

For me that is less than what I would pay where I am now (San Diego, CA) where I pay $1550 for a tiny 2 Bdr.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:21 AM

356 posts, read 833,950 times
I lived in Columbia last year in a 1-bed 1-bath, pretty big space really, and it was $1249; rents here are definitely not cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: