Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:33 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,395,161 times

Advertisements

Driving a pickup is a statement, just as riding a motorcycle or driving a BMW is a statement about who you are and what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2019, 01:24 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Pickup trucks are great when you need one a few times a year. The rest of the time, they are totally stupid. Nothing like hauling around a massive empty cargo bed everywhere you go. I actually bought a brand new pickup once and traded it in within a year. It's such an inefficient vehicle unless you are a contractor or something like that. They are also not very fun to drive.

And the huge lifted trucks with big tires that can't fit in a parking spot are annoying. I think some guys need them to feel macho or something, but they don't work well in suburban and city environments at least in the DC area.

Go to Dallas or Houston where half the cars on the road are pickup trucks. Congested freeways filled with people commuting from subdivisions to office parks in huge pickup trucks. It's bizarre.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:51 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Pickup trucks are great when you need one a few times a year. The rest of the time, they are totally stupid. Nothing like hauling around a massive empty cargo bed everywhere you go. I actually bought a brand new pickup once and traded it in within a year. It's such an inefficient vehicle unless you are a contractor or something like that. They are also not very fun to drive.

And the huge lifted trucks with big tires that can't fit in a parking spot are annoying. I think some guys need them to feel macho or something, but they don't work well in suburban and city environments at least in the DC area.

Go to Dallas or Houston where half the cars on the road are pickup trucks. Congested freeways filled with people commuting from subdivisions to office parks in huge pickup trucks. It's bizarre.
Here is an idea,if someone wants to drive a pick up and they can afford it ,let them .WHO CARES ?

Old 02-13-2019, 03:40 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I wish I had a truck, actually. Not for everyday use, but even living in the city limits, the need for one pops up more often than I would have thought.

I really like crossovers at the moment. Good clearance, lots of seats for carpooling, AWD for bad weather. I do hate trying to park it though. I am "that guy" that parks 1/4 mile away from the store in the empty part of the lot so I can get in and out easily.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Here is an idea,if someone wants to drive a pick up and they can afford it ,let them .WHO CARES ?
I don't care. I did say I have owned them before and they are quite handy when you need them. I just didn't need the truck part of the truck hardly ever.

The big redneck trucks are a annoying with all the black exhaust and rock throwing tires, but whatever people like.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:14 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:

Most people out here with them that are lifted and big tires actually use them for off roading. I hunt in an off road area so I need a lifted truck with grippy tires. I should say used to as now I have a side by side but still need my truck to haul it with. Do people drive an electric to feel feminine? No, that's stupid. I'm a business professional that drives, in your words, a "big redneck truck". Have you ever asked someone using those words? Ya, I bet not.

Most people can't afford 2 vehicles so they commute with what works for them.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Most people out here with them that are lifted and big tires actually use them for off roading. I hunt in an off road area so I need a lifted truck with grippy tires. I should say used to as now I have a side by side but still need my truck to haul it with. Do people drive an electric to feel feminine? No, that's stupid. I'm a business professional that drives, in your words, a "big redneck truck". Have you ever asked someone using those words? Ya, I bet not.

Most people can't afford 2 vehicles so they commute with what works for them.
I have been rubbed the wrong way too many times by those "big redneck trucks". They just seem more aggressive in urban areas especially around pedestrians and cyclists. And I'm no tree hugger, but I really don't see the point when people put huge diesel exhaust pipes on them etc. I don't see the need to be excessively polluting the air or making a ton of noise. And I have no reason to choose a vehicle that gets 12 miles to the gallon. That's just me though.

The worst drivers are prius drivers.

I wouldn't mind having a truck a few times a year when I need to run to Home Depot or something, but it's just easier to borrow or rent one when I need one.

I have no problem with people choosing to drive trucks so long as they are considerate with them in urban areas around other people. I understand lots of people like and use them for work etc.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:49 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Unfortunately there are too many people that seem to have never learned how to safely back up a vehicle, either into or out of a parking spot, or, for that matter, in any situation. At least, when backing out of a parking spot, they can put their faith in the other drivers having compassion in addition to better driving abilities. At least that’s the way they seem to operate.
I got a new Chevy Colorado. It has a rear-view camera and video that is very useful in situations like that. The Colorado is also smaller than a full-size truck, so it's much easier to navigate in a cramped parking area of a large city like Phoenix. I used to have a large F-150 but it was too awkward to drive in a dense metro area. A mid-size truck is much better. Periodically, I go out to rural Arizona to visit my family out in areas with rugged dirt roads and mountains. The truck is very useful for those weekend getaway trips to visit family in rural Arizona. It's a must for many isolated areas of Arizona where the roads are sometimes very rocky and too rough for a car. In the summer monsoon it floods and gets dangerously muddy in Eastern Arizona. It also snows up there in the winter and gets to about 16F. The Colorado is great for that. Mid-size trucks are the compromise and very popular in Phoenix: Tacoma, the new Ford Ranger, Colorado, Canyon, Ridgeline, Frontier, etc.

I would only want a full-sized truck (e.g. Raptor or Big Horn or Silverado crew cabs) if I lived in rural AZ or in a house with an ultra-large parking garage. But for an apartment it's definitely too awkward to have those bigger trucks.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:42 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:
I don't care. I did say I have owned them before and they are quite handy when you need them. I just didn't need the truck part of the truck hardly ever.

The big redneck trucks are a annoying with all the black exhaust and rock throwing tires, but whatever people like.
You must care ,just read your post's . You need a snicker's

Old 02-14-2019, 06:27 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Years ago, my husband's company car was a pickup. He worked for a small manufacturing company, and the owner leased sedans, pickups, and a van. They all served a purpose during the work week.

Visiting VIPs and small groups needed to picked up at the airport, and things moved to and from their storage facility. Every vehicle served more than one purpose.

I suppose some people in the neighborhood wondered why he needed a truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland