Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 07:07 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times

Advertisements

but this issue is dead, right? Haven't heard peep about it in awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
I haven't heard it mentioned for the upcoming legislative session.

The last I heard the Governor was appointing a commission to look into the matter. My guess is this commission is on a similar timeline to the one that is looking at whether to allow natural gas extraction in Western Maryland.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:56 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
If you can explain the reason of the name to every African-American person, then maybe it can be good; but as of right now I consider it offensive. I would rather name the mountain off a prominent African American instead if "Negro Mountain".

Old 01-30-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
If you can explain the reason of the name to every African-American person, then maybe it can be good; but as of right now I consider it offensive. I would rather name the mountain off a prominent African American instead if "Negro Mountain".
One of the suggestions has been to place historical markers on the major roads that pass over the mountain that explain the story. I am all for this idea. It is also something that could be part of the state curriculum in Maryland history. To me, it is worthy of being in there. The gentleman is Maryland's version of Crispus Attucks.

I can tell you most people in Western Maryland already know the story. It is part of our local lore. Hence one of the reasons why we were (kinda still are) offended that an outsider would publically accuse the name, and by extention our community, of being racially insensative in the press and in legislature without coming out here to talk to us about it first.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
find me a prominent black american with a name cooler than "Nemesis" and I'll support changing the name to something other than "Mt. Nemesis"

Old 01-31-2012, 03:43 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash potato View Post
If the mountain was named 'negro mountain' because the frontiersman was black, shouldn't the caption under George Washington's name on the dollar bill say, 'whitey? instead of 'george washington'?
It would actually be caucasian.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:24 PM

379 posts, read 813,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Read back through the thread. They don't know his name was Nemesis
Yes, I did see that. But still, personally, Nemesis mountain would be better than Negro mountain. Or Pioneersman mountain would be better. How about Unknown Name mountain? What would the mountain be named if the man were white? Caucasian mountain (as the other poster mentioned).

Old 01-31-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did see that. But still, personally, Nemesis mountain would be better than Negro mountain. Or Pioneersman mountain would be better. How about Unknown Name mountain? What would the mountain be named if the man were white? Caucasian mountain (as the other poster mentioned).
I doubt Goliah would agree with that statement

Old 02-01-2012, 05:42 PM

379 posts, read 813,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
I doubt Goliah would agree with that statement
Ok, I give up, who's Goliah?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Ok, I give up, who's Goliah?
We don't know. He is the other name given to the African American gentleman reputedly killed on the mountain.

Here are some links that show the problems with the historical record. And even then, I believe these sources are wrong and the alternate name is Goliah, not Goliath. Unfortunately, I can't find a link to the original sources of the story. I believe the one that contains the name "Nemesis" is Thomas and Williams's History of Allegany County.

The Afronista Rants #16: Negro Mountain! « Senseless Scribbling of an Idiot

Renaming Negro Mountain more sensitively… as Mount Goliath? | Remnant of Giants

Western Maryland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland