Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 12:24 PM

6,926 posts, read 11,185,088 times

Advertisements

Blue,
Maybe some examples will help you.

1. Me. I am a Pirates fan because my dad is one and they were quite good back in my formative sports years in the early 90s. I am also a Redskin fan. Why? Well my dad rooted for the Colts until they left B-more (yes he was a Pirates and Colts fan, probably because they were both good back in is formative years). My uncle is a Redskins fan, and since the Redskins were good, I picked up the habit. Boy, I wish I was a Steelers fan, my life would be so much easier since the Redskins are going on 15 years of futility, but I digress....

2. My brother roots for the Buffalo Bills? Strange you say? Not really, I rooted for the Skins, so my brother picked the second best team (back in the early 90s) in the league to root for to try and get my goat. He has been a Bills fan ever since.

See, it isn't rocket science. Most people learn their allegiences when they are young, and young kids normally learn from their relatives, or are just plain old frontrunners. There is no sancrosanct rule out in Western Maryland or anywhere else that says you have to pick one city and follow every sports team in that city, the world just doesn't work that way. Sorry to disappoint you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 08:34 PM

60 posts, read 277,048 times
Hagerstown, Md is historically the gateway to Western Maryland, there is a sign at the city line. But with development and expansion from DC to the Exburbs, the line moves further out with each new development. Allegany County Md is a good bet.
I travel to Allegany County, MD regularly. I love that part of Western Maryland. I find loyalty to sports teams runs the gambit from pro ball, college, and high school teams. Baseball will have many Pirates, Orioles, and to a newer degree National fans. Football can mean the Redskins, Ravens and Steelers. Variety and personal choice is key out here. Local newspapers are a must if you want an inside look, some do suppliment with The Washington Post or Baltimore Sun. But local news is not covered in those papers. Here in Washington County Md we have the The Herald-Mail ONLINE, it is the local daily paper. Check it out online for a local perspective. The Cumberland Md paper for Allegany County is Cumberland Times-News - Homepage

Westsideboy said it better on the sports issue. We are independent minded. Like everyone, we are influenced by where one hails from, or where we went to school or used to live. Pro teams, college ball, and high school teams are all on the menu.There is no sancrosanct rule out in Western Maryland or anywhere else that says you have to pick one city and follow every sports team in that city, the world just doesn't work that way. Sorry to disappoint you.......This question is asked repeatedly, lots of interest in who we root for, despite the fact we are just like everyone else. Just drive through any Western Md town and you will see various team flags in front of homes of sports fans. Some local citizens do not like sports, and have no alligence.

Read our newspapers, visit the city and county websites, and most importantly walk our streets and attend a ball game. My question to you, What major League team has their farm team in Hagerstown? You will find anserws to all your questions if you stop off from the highway. No mysteries here. Visit any city or town in Western Maryland, its all here. Pretty straight forward. You have some resources to check out.

Last edited by alido; 09-11-2007 at 09:08 PM..

Old 09-18-2007, 07:27 PM

578 posts, read 2,092,117 times
Thanks but I take it there are many Pirate fans in baseball, they are the baseball version of the Steelers in this region?

Old 09-19-2007, 07:52 AM

6,926 posts, read 11,185,088 times
Yes, there are Pirate fans, but they are a long suffering rather despondant bunch.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:12 PM

352 posts, read 794,490 times
I live near Hagerstown~Washington County and know many, many Redskins fans in this area! (Actually, many Steeler fans too). The Ravens are NOT #1 out this way.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:14 PM

352 posts, read 794,490 times
The Hagerstown Suns are the farm team for the Washington Nationals.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:37 PM

17 posts, read 66,517 times
I think it is a personal thing. I grew up in DC and always was a Skins fan. So I still am for the most part although they haven't ahad a good season in forever.
For the most part I don't really care that much. When we lived in MI we tended to follow the Detroit teams, but that was because we had coverage about them in the paper.
There are folks here in Wash CO who are very committed to their team--- be they the Steelers, Ravens or Skins. And believe me I know at least 10 of each persuasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland