U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 03:02 PM

68 posts, read 249,714 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a good city or town that is in between Baltimore and DC that is a do-able commute NoVa for work and then Philly for bi-monthly weekend trips.

I need a place that has good schools, low crime but affordable housing. I would prefer to have a place that isn't too crowded with some open space, but I know that will be hard

I currently live in Hagerstown and love it out here, but the 6 hours total to and from philly twice a month is brutal, especially with two toddlers My husband used to work in NoVa and his commute would be on average an hour and 15 minutes, but only because he worked an early morning shift. He would much rather have a long distance to drive with moving traffic then a short distance in stop and go traffic.

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 03:05 PM

415 posts, read 1,398,187 times
1/2 way is Columbia. Good schools, low crime, expensive housing...
2 out of 3 ain't bad!
You're not going to find affordable housing with low crime between Baltimore and DC.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:14 PM

not anything????

I also forgot to mention that he doesn't want to commute by using the beltway around baltimore at all... so it would have to be below the beltway.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:12 AM

Is Halethorpe in Baltimore County? I searched for it on city-data and it said it wasn't found. Are the schools good?

Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 AM

Is there a lot of air traffic noise there?

Old 09-04-2007, 09:03 AM

that's good.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:08 PM

56 posts, read 199,817 times
Laurel is halfway between DC and B'more...but if you're only going to Philly twice per mo, why not settle in NoVa since that's a DAILY commute. The mileage may be less, but I don't think the commute to NoVa from the DC-Baltimore corridor is any better than Hagerstown ( and maybe worse).

Old 09-04-2007, 07:00 PM

NoVa is to $$$. We would like to get out of a TH and get a SF with a yard for our 3 boys to be boys Plus, with the trips to philly, its not for an overnight stay for us. We have places to stay, but its not the greatest for twice a month and with a 2 and 1 year old. We want to be able go and come back in a night, preferably.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:03 PM

415 posts, read 1,398,187 times
How about up Woodstock Rd, towards Woodstock or Granite? Very small little towns, but Woodstock is still on the Howard County side of the line, so access to the Howard County schools. There are some townhouses on Frederick Rd that may be "affordable" (that being a relative term in the Baltimore / DC area).

Old 09-05-2007, 12:24 PM

One thing I forgot to mention, I have a custody order in PA and was allowed to move to MD. I'm sure if I wanted to move to any other state other than back to PA, I would have to file with the courts again. So Virginia is not an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland