Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Gay Marriage Get Passed in MD?
Yes 36 80.00%
No 5 11.11%
Yes, but not this year 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:09 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Anyone can drive as long as they meet a bear-minimum requirement: for the most part, they are at least 16 and have passed the driving test. Now, imagine if everyone can drive except for those with glasses...even if they have received corrective surgery. Homosexuals can participate in pretty much every aspect of life in the U.S. except for the right to marry.
Not true at all! They can marry someone of the opposite sex just like anyone else.

That is like saying that kids 14 years old don't have a right to get their licenses. You can do it as long as you fit certain criterias. None of the laws pervent a group of people from marrying, it is just a matter of people meeting the criteria, it just happens that homosexuals do not believe they can change. Again, they want to redefine marriage, not to bring equality. Equality already exist.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
But guess what, that doesn't mean I have to tolerate it. Of course there will be other people who will say the same things, but if I have influence to control who does, why wouldn't I? I'm expressing my opinion, that is all. Should I accept something just because everyone else is doing it?

No, not the case. Again, I will say it's all about your basis of morality. We can argue all day but if you don't have the same standard of what's right and wrong then it won't matter. I do not believe there is anything wrong with interracial marriage because my moral compass, The Holy Bible, does not forbid it. Simple as that. If you disagree that's your prerogative, I'm just stating my beliefs. I don't necessarily think it's about what we all perceive to be right or wrong. It's based on the individual. Again it's just my opinion. If your ideas of right or wrong are based on what the media tells you then more power to you.
"It's just my opinion" has got to be my favorite line from the homophobes/racists/bigots of the world. The problem is your opinion is that different people should be treated differently. In a free society, one that is based on all people are created equal that cannot be acceptable. You can disagree with that and tell everyone you know how you just can't stand gay people, but in a free society everyone deserves to be treated as equals in the eyes of the law.

I know skipping ahead in your post that don't see any difference in rights, but that simply isn't the case. Gays are NOT treated equally under the law including being able to marry each other and the other examples I used in my previous post.

Quote:
What kind of comprehension skills do you have? I didn't say that gays haven't been discriminated against, I said there is no discrimination compared to the blacks in the 1960s, which is the ridiculous comparison that you made. The struggles of gays does not even began to compare to blacks. You are talking about things that affected thousands, the things that happened in the 60s affected millions. Comparing the two, there is no comparison. Can you honestly, HONESTLY say that gays are being killed at the same rate as blacks in the 60s? Can you?
No I can't say that, but apparently your reading comprehension isn't very good either because I even said the struggles for equality between the two are different. And gay marriage definitely affects more than "thousands." You clearly haven't gotten out much if you think there are only "thousands" of gay people in this country.

While I understand you don't like me using the civil rights movement as a comparable, it is the most recent mass movement for equality in this country so there are going to be parallels.

Quote:
All groups are discriminated against, that's just how society is. Gays are taking the same cue that women are taking. Everyone wants a voice. Again this is not discrimination or marriage inequality, this is about redefining marriage. Gays can't marry someone of the same sex just like heterosexuals can't either. So how are our rights different? Everyone has to abide by the same laws. The word inequality is used as propaganda to equate this 'struggle' to the civil rights movement, but the two movements are not the same.
No this is just about justifying your beliefs, which are increasingly becoming antiquated. Your earlier point about basis of morality are more or less on point. If your morals come from the bible and I (and plenty of other people) don't really care what the bible says, then really we can't even have a reasonable discussion about morality. You think I'm some media influenced sheep, I think you are a bigoted dinosaur. We'll agree to disagree.

But this IS a struggle and gay rights activists are undergoing a struggle the same way blacks in the 60's were. Heck, you even said you don't think gay people are normal. That's what gay people have to fight against - even the reasonable/moderate people like yourself can't say they are normal and deserve to marry someone they truly want to. They also have to deal with a large contingent in this country who downright hates them. I don't expect you to see it this way, at least not anytime soon...but hopefully someday you will have more empathy.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:42 PM

45,335 posts, read 60,500,026 times
As a note, moral beliefs, ethics, right and wrong, etc. formed from the earliest religions. So while one may profess atheism the reality is that their moral beliefs have a religious base.

Guys, the Gay Marriage Act, Marriage Equality Act, whatever it's called has been passed in the House, will likely pass in the Senate and will be signed by the Governor. It will then be taken to referendum to be voted on in November if the petition drive garners enough signatures.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:31 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Just passed the senate so it's basically been legalized, unless Marty plans on trolling the entire state by vetoing it and registering as a Republican.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:14 PM
rfp

333 posts, read 689,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It will then be taken to referendum to be voted on in November if the petition drive garners enough signatures.
Do you believe that civil rights laws pertaining to minorities should also be subject to a referendum by the voters? (If it garners enough signatures, of course.)

Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM

Is this a Civil Rights law? To my knowledge gay marriage hasn't yet been determined by the Supreme Court to be a civil right in this or any other state. What I do or don't believe doesn't matter, MD law allows petition to referendum of all state laws with the exception of appropriations. And from my posts you don't know what I think about the law as I have only been commenting on the political realities of this state.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Hopefully all those here who have followed the gay marriage debate in MD will also follow the attempt by Gov. O'Malley to increase taxes and fees to all Marylanders with equal zeal. This would include defining "wealthy" as a couple with a $100K/year combined income, and the doubling, tripling and quadrupling of recreational fees and licenses for boats, fishing and hunting among a myriad of others.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,635 times
Quote:
Let's get a few things clear, first I'm not a right winger. Stereotypes don't get you very far in life and make you look stupid.

Second, I'm not a religious nut as you call it. I am a believer and follower of Jesus Christ. What the Bible says about homosexuality isn't nuts, its simple and practical. Just because my views and my beliefs are different than yours doesn't make me a nut. Notice you haven't seen me calling gays outside their name or saying we should kill them all? Maybe you should re-assess what you consider a nut. I've met people who are far more intolerant than what you perceive me to be. Just because I disagree with something and have an opinion doesn't make me a nut. I have an opinion just like you do.

And to answer your question, it has been known that gays want homosexuality to be a part of sex education in schools. It is also known that they want same-sex couples to be taught in schools as families the same way as a traditional family would be. Me personally, I don't want my children to be forced to believe something is right, that is not right. I do not believe my children should be forced to accept homosexuality as being 'normal' behavior.
You've taken away all your own credibility when you said you are a believer and folower of Jesus Christ. The Bible is a book for simpletons written before the huge leap in sciences we've had in the last 2000 years. The Bible forbids divorce yet I have not seen one Christian simpleton come out against it and all the religious nutters came out and all voted for divorced Reagan and McCain. You are being ignorant and wrong in saying same sex couples are some how inferior to straight couples, especially in raising a kid. Gays cannot biologically have kids so they are forced to adopt to raise a kid. Any idiot who sleeps with a girl can get her pregnant, you end up with many Jerry Springer show type families this way. By ruling out accidental parents, you obviously get better parents who chose to be parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why do you always accuse people who disagree with you of being "right wing nut jobs" and "Nazis"? It takes away whatever credibility you have.
You didn't have the balls to quote me there but I knew you were addressing me. It somehow takes my credibility away to point out that humans who are born with different preferences deserve to be treated the same as other humans? In your ignorant cloistered right wing world, everyone would live to the ideals of a discredited 2000 year old book but intelligent people are ruled by logic and decency and don't need that garbage foisted upon us by someone who has never had an independent thought.

Old 02-25-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
You've taken away all your own credibility when you said you are a believer and folower of Jesus Christ. The Bible is a book for simpletons written before the huge leap in sciences we've had in the last 2000 years. The Bible forbids divorce yet I have not seen one Christian simpleton come out against it and all the religious nutters came out and all voted for divorced Reagan and McCain. You are being ignorant and wrong in saying same sex couples are some how inferior to straight couples, especially in raising a kid. Gays cannot biologically have kids so they are forced to adopt to raise a kid. Any idiot who sleeps with a girl can get her pregnant, you end up with many Jerry Springer show type families this way. By ruling out accidental parents, you obviously get better parents who chose to be parents.

You didn't have the balls to quote me there but I knew you were addressing me. It somehow takes my credibility away to point out that humans who are born with different preferences deserve to be treated the same as other humans? In your ignorant cloistered right wing world, everyone would live to the ideals of a discredited 2000 year old book but intelligent people are ruled by logic and decency and don't need that garbage foisted upon us by someone who has never had an independent thought.

And once again you score zero on the credibility meter. I didn't quote you because your last accusation was right above my response. Look in the mirror little fella if you want to see a ball less wonder. You might be surprised to see yourself. But maybe not. In thread after thread you call people ignorant, right wing, Nazis. You are a true internet superman.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:52 AM

866 posts, read 2,627,241 times
Quote:
Not true at all! They can marry someone of the opposite sex just like anyone else.

That is like saying that kids 14 years old don't have a right to get their licenses. You can do it as long as you fit certain criterias. None of the laws pervent a group of people from marrying, it is just a matter of people meeting the criteria, it just happens that homosexuals do not believe they can change. Again, they want to redefine marriage, not to bring equality. Equality already exist.
Why would a gay person want to marry someone of the opposite sex? That doesn't even make any sense. What if your only option was to marry another guy? Doesn't sound appealing to you, huh?

And no one is redefining marriage. They're expanding the definition.

Finally, equality does NOT already exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland