U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Seeking input from realtors why only one or zero pictures on internet listings, bait and switch, terrible looking house, bad real estate agent

Old 09-09-2007, 12:49 PM

688 posts, read 1,084,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennylove76 View Post
liliblu,
I must respectfully disagree with you. Don't get me wrong, I know anything is possible. However, I would ague that a picture is worth a thousand words and pictures are needed to sell a house. Furthermore, I know I am speaking from an outsider's perspective, but it is my understanding that the MD & Nova areas are having a hard time selling houses....As a person who is looking to buy a house in that area, I can tell you right now that I am skipping over houses that do not have pictures.

For the sellers let me repeat that, if your realtor does not post any or only one picture, I (along with many other potential buyers) are not even giving your house a chance.

Now I understand that there may be a cost to take pictures and put them on the website. However, as the saying goes..."you have to spend money to make money". If I see that you did not want to spend the money for the pictures then it tells me you do not think you are going to make money anyway as the house is not worth even bothering to take pics.

As for the pics not being taken until the paperwork is completed, why even list it. Ok, go ahead and list it but know that you will be cutting off your out of state and maybe even international market.

Also, if it does not cost money until you have added 6 pics, then why not only add 5. I don't need a whole virtual show, I just need to see what the house looks like. Heck, I get more pics of a $20 item I am buying off of e-bay than from a HALF A MILLION or more house.....Let me repeat that a HALF A MILLION Dollars or more house with no pics...And then they wonder why the house is on the market for a year.

Again, if the sellers are willing to put up with that then I guess it will continue. However, if I was a seller (and I may be soon) I will not use a realtor that is not doing everything in her power to sell my house, which would at the very least posting multiple pics.
First, I am not an agent. I work with agents due to the nature of my work. Second,there is a fee for a set of six pictures on MLS. You have to buy the six picture package. Only one picture is free and it is still counted in the package of six.
Most of agents I know market there listings in a variety of ways. A lot of inquiries come from home books/journals and those usually only have a picture of the front of the house. But that still grabs people's interest. Price, Location and the home's Features are the biggest factors. This is just my opinion. What price, which location, and what features vary from buyer to buyer. You would be amazed at the number of beautiful homes with custom slideshows showing every room that have been sitting on the market for months.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 01:11 PM

688 posts, read 1,084,793 times
There are several reasons why home sales are down. Pictures isn't even a main item on the list. There are simply to many houses on the market. Between the older homes that are listed and the new homes that are being built there is just to much inventory. There are subdivisions with 20 homes up for sale. Buyers can take their time because even if a home they considered is sold there are plenty of others just like it.
Then you have to consider the number of qualified buyers. I see deals lost on a regular basis due to loans falling through. People that would have been approved a year ago are unable to get loans now. There are lots of deals that fail to get out of underwriting.
Another cause is the price of the homes. If you have a home with a sale price of $600,000 and up you're dealing with a smaller pool of potential buyers. This is where pictures and aggressive marketing can help. It may help your home stand out in some buyer's minds. But that is not a quaranteed result. There are lot of homes with granite counter tops, sunken tubs, buddy baths, thearter rooms, and 3 car garages that have been on the market 100 days or more.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,821 times
I'm a realtor and I totally agree that if a listing agent does not agree to post more than one picture than you should be looking for a new realtor. When I see new listings that either have no picture or just one picture I wonder if there is something wrong with the house or if the realtor just doesn't want to spend the time or money to take and add additional photos to the listings. I also wonder how they got the listing in the first place! When I enter a listing on the MLS it always includes the picture of the house and a virtual tour of as many pictures the customer wants included in their listing. The first few days a house is listed is when it will get the most attention and if your realtor does not at least take the time to post a picture of the house with the listing you may miss out on a number of potential buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: