Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:41 PM

25 posts, read 109,391 times

Advertisements

Give your opinion, and tell me if you believe he will succeed under Mike Shanny and Snyyder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
I don't think it's time to assess it. If you ask me if they should have made the trade, I would tell you yes, but I don't know if he is worth all of those picks. To me the Redskins desperately needed a franchise QB and they did what they had to, to get one. Can't knock them for that. And as far as his success with Shanahan I think he can be successful, but it will only be because of the team he puts around him.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
He will do VERY well in Shanahan's system. All of those stretch plays and bootleg actions fit his style perfectly. I think of him as like Michael Vick with more maturity and understanding in the passing game for his age, but a less explosive first couple of steps. He is merely extremely fast rather than "Holy Crap" fast like Vick.

That being said, 3 first round picks and a 2nd from a consistantly losing team is much too steep a price to pay to get nearly any NFL player. Seriously, I would take three top 10 picks in the draft over nearly every Pro-Bowler not named "Rodgers, Brees, Brady or Manning" If RGIII makes it to this level of success, then kudos for the Skins.

Either way, I am excited to see him play. Just pray he stays healthy. He is going to take alot of hits, and is not a big guy. Better have a good back-up ready. Much like Vick, RGIII should be expected to miss at least a few games every season.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 AM

2,594 posts, read 4,657,226 times
Default boredatwork

Look at the history. If they didnt pull the trigger now then when? One draft pick here, one draft pick there and we're talking about a 3 year plan. If they didnt trade up some other team would've anyway. Also most teams start the year with 1 decent and 2 backup quarterbacks. We started with only 2 backup quarterbacks?????They would've taken that salary cap hit regardless anyway.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:47 AM

The Redskins have been trading draft picks away for peanuts for the entire Daniel Snyder era. If they had kept the picks rather than trading them they wouldn't be the "Biggest Loser" in the NFC East for the last 20 years.

Compare the Skins to the Ravens and you will see that the Raven's stars, Rice, Flacco, Lewis, Reed, Ngata, and Suggs were all draft picks. Same with the Steelers. The draft is how you build your team in the NFL, suplimented by the occasional mercenary high dollar free agent and good deals on veterans. The Redskins have adopted the opposite model, and are sticking to it, how has that worked out for them?

Old 03-13-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
The Redskins have been trading draft picks away for peanuts for the entire Daniel Snyder era. If they had kept the picks rather than trading them they wouldn't be the "Biggest Loser" in the NFC East for the last 20 years.

Compare the Skins to the Ravens and you will see that the Raven's stars, Rice, Flacco, Lewis, Reed, Ngata, and Suggs were all draft picks. Same with the Steelers. The draft is how you build your team in the NFL, suplimented by the occasional mercenary high dollar free agent and good deals on veterans. The Redskins have adopted the opposite model, and are sticking to it, how has that worked out for them?
To be fair, I think you are generalizing what the Redskins have done under Daniel Snyder. It's been clear since Allen and Shanahan have taken over that the decisions have been more strategic. They haven't given out stupid contracts and signed some lesser known players like Stephen Bowen for example. And look at last year, the Redskins had 12 draft picks! 12!

As boreatwork said, when were you going to get a franchise QB? You can't continue to settle for average QB play and expect to take that next step. The problem is fans are so impatient and expect this team to be successful right away, but you have to understand that they are trying to build their team up and establish an identity similar to the Ravens and Steelers. The team needed to take the opportunity to address the most glaring weakness, QB. What would have been the alternative if they didn't make this trade? More Beck and Grossman? Ryan Tannehill and Kyle Orton? Are those QB really going take this team anywhere?

Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
I'm with Westsideboy in that I think RG3 is a good QB but 2 extra 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder is way too much to pay.

I think the Redskins are kidding themselves. Every year they think they're just a piece or two away from contending. They're not! This is a 5-11 team that followed a 6-10 team that followed a 4-12 team! Yeah, they need a QB, but they need a lot of other pieces as well, and the 3 picks they're giving up to get RG3 could have helped them get those pieces.

As a general rule, teams overvalue current 1st round picks, and undervalue their future and later round picks. That's what the Redskins are doing here. Teams get so stuck on their evaluations of players and don't realize how much of a crapshoot the draft is.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:08 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,381,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
The team needed to take the opportunity to address the most glaring weakness, QB. What would have been the alternative if they didn't make this trade? More Beck and Grossman? Ryan Tannehill and Kyle Orton? Are those QB really going take this team anywhere?
No QB is taking the team anywhere anytime soon. The next two seasons are still part of the rebuilding process. That's why I don't think trading away draft picks is the right move.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
I'm with Westsideboy in that I think RG3 is a good QB but 2 extra 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder is way too much to pay.

I think the Redskins are kidding themselves. Every year they think they're just a piece or two away from contending. They're not! This is a 5-11 team that followed a 6-10 team that followed a 4-12 team! Yeah, they need a QB, but they need a lot of other pieces as well, and the 3 picks they're giving up to get RG3 could have helped them get those pieces.

As a general rule, teams overvalue current 1st round picks, and undervalue their future and later round picks. That's what the Redskins are doing here. Teams get so stuck on their evaluations of players and don't realize how much of a crapshoot the draft is.
But what you just said contradicts itself. You're arguing how giving up those picks is too much but then you said that the draft is a crapshoot. Which one is it? Is it possible for those picks to be that valuable if you are arguing that they could turn out to be bust?

I don't think anyone is saying the Redskins are about to win a Super Bowl, but it at least helps them to become more competitive. The point I made was, if they don't make this move then when were they going to get a player of this caliber? It is likely that they would not have another high pick if they continue to improve so there's a good chance that the draft wouldn't have been a source, so how else do you get a guy this good? Free agency? Who is going to come here to play for the Redskins? Players aren't going to come to a team without a QB so you have to convince a QB that if he comes then the players will come. Is that realistic? Why would he come to a team with a bunch of undeveloped draft picks?

Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
But what you just said contradicts itself. You're arguing how giving up those picks is too much but then you said that the draft is a crapshoot. Which one is it? Is it possible for those picks to be that valuable if you are arguing that they could turn out to be bust?

I don't think anyone is saying the Redskins are about to win a Super Bowl, but it at least helps them to become more competitive. The point I made was, if they don't make this move then when were they going to get a player of this caliber? It is likely that they would not have another high pick if they continue to improve so there's a good chance that the draft wouldn't have been a source, so how else do you get a guy this good? Free agency? Who is going to come here to play for the Redskins? Players aren't going to come to a team without a QB so you have to convince a QB that if he comes then the players will come. Is that realistic? Why would he come to a team with a bunch of undeveloped draft picks?
Pro-Bowl players sign with the Skins all the time. Shame is it is always when they are old, content, and looking for boatloads of money or malcontents. Snyder is always happy to oblige. Albert Haynesworth, Bruce Smith, Jason Taylor, Adam Archelta, London Fletcher (a good pick up), Brandon Lloyd, the list goes on and on.

The problem is EXACTLY what Pcity said, the owner is under the illusion that the team is always just "a piece or two away" from contending, so they make dumb short term moves that keep compounding their endemic problems of

1. Not having enough draft picks to build a team nucleus
2. Signing players like a fantasy football team (aka looking at stats) rather than settling on a system and getting players that fit it.
3. A culture of losing being OK in the locker room and among the fans.

I will admit that the Shanahans WERE doing better managing their draft picks, until now. Now, they are three years back in the hole to get one rookie quaterback. I hope it works out for them......I really do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: