U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:47 AM

4,117 posts, read 2,034,235 times

Advertisements

Sooo, does that mean they are going to outlaw pitbulls in Maryland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 AM

8,243 posts, read 17,199,637 times
Dont think so but didnt read whole article. Dont see why they would. Miami co Fla bans pitts but the rest for Fla dont. They to had the same problem but worse than PG co MD

IF you going to have these dogs then do your homework! Insurance & where you live Does count as to type/brred of dog you can own. Remember IF there is a ban you have the right to keep the dogs under grandfather clause in laws. Meaning the one you have a s a pet Before the ban you can keep till you decide to rehome it [outside the ban area] or the dog dies! No you cant get more or another one tho!

Old 05-02-2012, 11:31 AM

1,968 posts, read 4,501,222 times
I fully support this law and wonder what took so long. I have had dogs my entire life, all different breeds. However, pit bulls have a history of being unpredictable and that unpredictability + incredible strength= a huge potential for serious injury or even death. I don't doubt that there are some wonderful pit bulls. The problem is that we don't have a way to know which one may snap--or when.

The other issue is that pit bulls do tend to attract bad dog owners. I mean, come on, you're not going to see golden retrievers in a dog fighting ring. I have to question why anyone would want to own a dog with such a horrendous reputation and take on that added liability.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:30 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,349,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I have to question why anyone would want to own a dog with such a horrendous reputation and take on that added liability.
It's been my experience that 99% of Pit owners think it adds inches to their........uh........well, you know. My dog is a bad ass, so that makes me a bad ass. Thug culture to the max.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:55 PM

4,919 posts, read 10,687,319 times
Congrats to your state and the Marylands Court of Appeals for finally having the guts to issue a legal opinion that reflects the majority scientific and vetranarian behavioral opinion about the breed. For too long the breeders and breed lovers have painted a distorted picture of the loving nature of the breed, ignoring all factual evidence. However, as the opinion clearly points out despite claims that this is all a hysterical frennzy created by the media, there is sufficient evidence to support that the breed is naturally vicious and thus the people of the state deserves protections. What it means in the long run is up to the state but it breaks that barrier that the breeders of this animal had erected to make it all seem like the breed is a fuzzy little kitten and all the issues are due to people. No other breed I know of has created such a network of false traits to mask some natural trait of the dog. GSD owners will admit the dog can get hyped naturally. DP owners admit their dogs may get nippy around some. but owners of this breed want everyone to belive that its never the fault of the dog, alawys a person's fault. That is what, in my opnion, doomed this. By refusing to accept any responsibility that the breed may present (even if a minor threat), they tried painting it as an angel and none of the maryland judges were buying it.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:01 PM

5,990 posts, read 5,112,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
You have GOT to be kidding me, or you dont know a thing about dogs.

Nursing mother= very very protective. If you have children, remember all those hormones coursing through you? (if you're female). Its the same with dogs. Its instinct in ANY dog. It varies from dog to dog. Not breed to breed,dog to dog. Furthermore, HUMAN logic DOES NOT = Dog logic. If you're going to have an animal, know what its instincts are going to be or what they TEND to be at the very least.

The parents were stupid idiots to leave an 18 month old toddler with a NURSING dog of all things. REPEAT: DOGS ARE NOT BABYSITTERS, ESPECIALLY DOGS WHO HAVE JUST GIVEN BIRTH.

Absolutely ridiculous. The idiocy of some people confounds me.
No kidding... bounds and bounds of it in Maryland, apparently.

Old 05-02-2012, 02:46 PM

2,173 posts, read 1,147,351 times
No amount of "proper training" can guarantee a dog of any breed will never turn on it's master, let alone a stranger, or especially another dog.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 PM

235 posts, read 280,621 times
Our Shihtzu bit 2 people in the face. Vicious little guy. I feel bad for all the pit bulls who are loveable and need homes who can't help that thugs and idiots have bred them to be vicious. I love animals Not sure how I feel about this.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:08 AM

3,400 posts, read 4,952,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eav1221 View Post
Our Shihtzu bit 2 people in the face. Vicious little guy. I feel bad for all the pit bulls who are loveable and need homes who can't help that thugs and idiots have bred them to be vicious. I love animals Not sure how I feel about this.
Now see (and this means no offense to you) but Id rather have a Pittie or a Rott in my house than a little yap yap "dog". I have seen/heard of more people bitten by those than I have one more powerful.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:46 AM

7,513 posts, read 14,650,915 times
Everyone I have known who has owned a pit bull owned one because they either wanted the protection or they thought it would make them tough or cool or for some other image factor. No one gets a pit bull because they are nice, cuddly, friendly, family dogs.

I don't see what is wrong with this law. My understanding is that it charges the owner, not the dog, if the dog attacks someone/something. It places responsibility on the owner, not penalizing the breed.

And what is with all of this "but lap dogs bite, too!" Yeah, some do. Just like some cats bite. But are you serious? Are you seriously trying to compare something that has a jaw strong enough to apply enough psi to crush an arm bone with something that may have sharp teeth that could break skin, but generally couldn't crush a grape? Are you serious? That's like being scared of your house cat while ignoring the lion sitting next to you. They're both cats, right. That yap-yap dog mite break skin with two small punctures, but are you seriously trying to compare that to a dog that can crush and seriously maul your arm?

At some point in time, all dog breeds were intentionally bred to express specific features/abilities/uses. Pit bulls were not bred to be lovable and cute although some were bred to be companions. Pit bulls are also terriers, which were initially bred to hunt and kill small animals. Some breeds of terriers where bred for dog fighting and bull baiting. Guess which terriers that includes.

If you honestly like pit bulls, there is nothing wrong with that. Just keep in mind that there is a reason why thugs, white trash, and boneheads prefer pit bulls. It's not like you didn't already know that, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland