Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 AM

6 posts, read 10,724 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone:

I am moving from Long Island, New York to Maryland.
Can you recommend cities/counties to find affordable and safe apartment complexes?
In your opinion, what area offers the most employment opportunities?
I would welcome your advice on how to make this move in the cheapest, easiest, and safest manner possible. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 08:57 AM

969 posts, read 2,842,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderingwilma View Post
Hello Everyone:

I am moving from Long Island, New York to Maryland.
Can you recommend cities/counties to find affordable and safe apartment complexes?
In your opinion, what area offers the most employment opportunities?
I would welcome your advice on how to make this move in the cheapest, easiest, and safest manner possible. Thank you!
I grew up in Bellmore (many many moons ago) and moved to Maryland - we moved to Montgomery County. Since you are coming from New York you shouldn't have too much trouble with sticker shock - but affordable is relative - what price range are you looking for?

Also - do you need to be close to schools or other amenities?

Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,287,465 times
I think Baltimore or Washiongton Dc. If you do a search on Careerbuilder.com you will see Baltimroe is hiring for every job postion and title.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:00 PM

Grasonville:

Bellmore has grown and it is still a pretty good place. I live in Islip & pay $1200/mo for a 1 bdrm apt that is close to food mkts, shopping, etc... plus it's reasonably safe. Is the rent over your way just as much? If I work in Baltimore or DE, can should I expect the work commute to be nightmarish as well?

Old 09-21-2007, 10:20 PM

770 posts, read 3,671,944 times
What do you do for a living? How much can you afford in rent? How far are you willing to travel. There is an abundance of jobs in Maryland because of DC and Baltimore being so close to each other. If you let us know how much you are trying to spend we can help a little better. Also what type of job, teaching, government...etc?

Old 09-23-2007, 06:44 PM

Njrover0216:

I have a degree in Interior Design. Presently, I am a project manager for a contract furniture dealer who designs, sells, and installs office furniture. Our dealership specializes in Knoll office systems. I earn 65K/yr. I'd like to pay $1000 rent for 1 bdrm apt. I would like to be w/n 20 mi of work. Is this pay, rent, and travel distance realistic?

Old 09-23-2007, 10:13 PM

770 posts, read 3,671,944 times
IF you look at a map of Maryland you will notice that DC/Annapolis/Baltimore make a triangle. If you were to find something in that area you will be in proximity to just about anything. If you were to get a job in Baltimore or DC, you could look into Anne Arundel County(Crofton, Davidsonville, Arnold, Severna Park, Pasadena, Crownsville). You could also look into Howard County(Columbia, Ellicott City or Hanover). Montgomery county is expensive and very very busy. If I were you I would check out those towns first and see if you can find some place to rent for that amount of money. Some sites worth browsing are Apartments.com - Free Nationwide Apartment Search with the Most Visual Rental Listings Online. , hometownannapolis.com...you can also check the pennysavers. When we first moved here 5 years ago we rented a bungalow in Edgewater for 900 a month. We had 2 bedrooms and a huge back yard. We now own a duplex and pay 1240 total. If you have any questions feel free to email me, I will try to help the best I can...I am not a realtor but I am constantly looking at areas, trying to buy a single family home, that will not break my bank...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland