U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2013, 11:38 PM
 
9 posts, read 10,018 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

Yes by all means! You get over around Denton, Cordova, etc on the eastern shore and you are in Hicksville for sure. The only oasis is easton. Five miles out of town and you'll be in your glory! Not make believe either. The real McCoy. Sort of like deliverance without canoes and Burt Reynolds.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
9,882 posts, read 14,904,076 times
Reputation: 6831
In terms of more "suburban" rednecks I have definitely heard Dundalk, Sparrows Point, Essex, and sometimes Middle River described as such, especially Sparrows Point and Edgemere. Of course there are not many farms in these parts, but many people listen to country music, drive pickup trucks, and engage in blue collar work (although of the non-agricultural sort). A lot of people in this area DO have roots in more rural areas like West Virginia, the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland. I have friends from around here who go hunting and fishing including who hunt deer with AK-47s (they do this in West Virginia, hard to do this in Maryland with liberal O'Malley and his increasingly draconian gun laws).

Its funny but some people including very close friends of mine describe me as "rednecky" which is very interesting since I'm of Asian descent. Although I was born in the Deep South and hold a lot of Southern values. I own guns, go to church every Sunday, vote Republican (the tea party sort), enjoy and prepare Southern and country style foods, prefer to drive my car to Walmart and park for free vs walk to the grocery store or take mass transit, get my coffee at Royal Farms not Starbucks, and my radio is either set to the country station or the Christian station. Also have a bumper sticker that says "I'll Keep my guns my money and my freedom you keep the change" and apparently my love of Waffle House and Cracker Barrell also makes me a "redneck".

I know people describe Garrett County as very rednecky. This is an interesting thread as its harder and harder for rural people to survive in Maryland given the war that O'Malley and his liberal Democrats have waged on our rural areas such as his flush tax, his septic tank bans, the tolls and his "smart growth" policies that prevent economic development in rural regions, not to mention his overregulation of farming and fishing and his refusal to allow natural gas fracking in Western Maryland.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 02:00 PM
 
Location: MD suburbs of DC
607 posts, read 1,293,862 times
Reputation: 453
Western Maryland (Garrett County, Allegany County, Washington County, and parts (not all) of Frederick County) aren't redneck at all. Country, yes, but they remind me a lot of rural SW and S Central Pennsylvania as opposed to Kentucky or certain parts of West Virginia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2013, 02:05 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
9,882 posts, read 14,904,076 times
Reputation: 6831
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Western Maryland (Garrett County, Allegany County, Washington County, and parts (not all) of Frederick County) aren't redneck at all. Country, yes, but they remind me a lot of rural SW and S Central Pennsylvania as opposed to Kentucky or certain parts of West Virginia.
So how would you define a redneck? Would you say that Carroll County or the Eastern Shore have a lot of rednecks? The Eastern Shore feels more like North Carolina and Virginia than it does Pennsylvania. And there are many people who say that Pennsylvania is filled with rednecks outside of the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
11,097 posts, read 22,637,948 times
Reputation: 6335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So how would you define a redneck? Would you say that Carroll County or the Eastern Shore have a lot of rednecks? The Eastern Shore feels more like North Carolina and Virginia than it does Pennsylvania. And there are many people who say that Pennsylvania is filled with rednecks outside of the Philadelphia and Pittsburgh areas.
Rural PA is one of the most redneck states there is (even metro Pittsburgh has its fair share) and I'm from the midwest .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 11:08 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
9,882 posts, read 14,904,076 times
Reputation: 6831
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Rural PA is one of the most redneck states there is (even metro Pittsburgh has its fair share) and I'm from the midwest .
Some people say the Baltimore area also has a bunch!

Plus I don't know why people always assocaite teh south more with rednecks than the Midwest. I think it has to do with Hollywood bias the way small Southern towns are portrayed differs greatly in how small Midwestern towns are portrayed!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 11:35 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
11,097 posts, read 22,637,948 times
Reputation: 6335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Some people say the Baltimore area also has a bunch!

Plus I don't know why people always assocaite teh south more with rednecks than the Midwest. I think it has to do with Hollywood bias the way small Southern towns are portrayed differs greatly in how small Midwestern towns are portrayed!
Yea, that's my point. I actually think the rural areas of PA, VA, parts of MD etc are much more redneck than most rural midwest states. The difference is the cities are bigger and have more political influence, so the east coast states still tend to be blue states, but I'm telling you, there is not much difference between Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Kansas City, St Louis etc when it comes to the amount of suburban rednecks you see around the cities. Redneck and Blue Collar have a lot of common characteristics and overlap, so that's why you see a lot of the redneck types in even larger cities like Baltimore and Pittsburgh. But areas like Southern AA county have the true country type rednecks with confed flags and everything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
9,882 posts, read 14,904,076 times
Reputation: 6831
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Yea, that's my point. I actually think the rural areas of PA, VA, parts of MD etc are much more redneck than most rural midwest states. The difference is the cities are bigger and have more political influence, so the east coast states still tend to be blue states, but I'm telling you, there is not much difference between Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Kansas City, St Louis etc when it comes to the amount of suburban rednecks you see around the cities. Redneck and Blue Collar have a lot of common characteristics and overlap, so that's why you see a lot of the redneck types in even larger cities like Baltimore and Pittsburgh. But areas like Southern AA county have the true country type rednecks with confed flags and everything.
I do agree as I've been to all these places except Pittsburgh. And the funny and ironic thing is many Southern or semi-Southern cities.....in particular Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and Raleigh feel MORE white collar and LESS laid-back than Baltimore. HOwever I see less "rednecky" folks in the suburbs of Washington DC or Philly or New York in most of these place many of the traditional blue collar work is done by foreigners or illegal immigrants.

In Maryland the Washington area is the most politically dominant, not even Baltimore anymore. The union kind Democrats in the Baltimore area used to dominate the Democratic Party and the state, but today's Maryland Democrats are dominated by liberal yuppies on one hand and illegal immigrants/the welfare crowd on the other. Plus most of the Eastern Shore is very country with the exception of Ocean City. Whenever anyone I know goes to the Eastern Shore and are NOT going to OC they are usually there to hunt, fish or go off roading.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2014, 01:16 PM
 
33 posts, read 131,669 times
Reputation: 34
Maryland is a southern state so their are alot of redneck ppl in the cities, suburbs, and the country. Maryland is very rural.. all u have to do is leave the city and the surrounding suburbs and the rest is the country. All of the counties are majority rural, just the ones surrounding the cities have most of the population in the suburbs so people think that they are the only ones around.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2014, 12:02 AM
 
Location: Crofton, MD
103 posts, read 270,439 times
Reputation: 51
Harwood and Lothian. Fredrick County, Frostburg, those areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:49 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top