Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:14 AM

78 posts, read 265,675 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
Right now i am in a sort of dilema which I was hoping advice from this forum may help. Well, I have at this time 2 good job offers. The 1st is for Lockheed Martin in Patuxent River, MD and the 2nd in Waco, Tx.
So needless to say I an trying to determin which position is best for me and my family. I interviewed on site at both facilities but my stay was too short to make any type of decision.
From what I can tell Pax River is very remote and sorry to say, it seems very boring. From what I can tell they do have Best Buy and Wal Mart and JCPenny, but the stores don't have everything a similar store in LA would have...
I guess my question is, coming from LA what can I expect from life in Lexington Park, Leonardtown, Hollywood, California or Pax River? Will my family be ok or bored to death and miserable? How are the people in these areas?
My family and I are hispanic (young professionals) and have lived in Southern California our entire lives...
Will my fiance be able to find work in these areas? She is a Medical Biller and coder...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeZepeda View Post
I guess my question is, coming from LA what can I expect from life in Lexington Park, Leonardtown, Hollywood, California or Pax River? Will my family be ok or bored to death and miserable? How are the people in these areas?
As I worked for Lockheed-Martin in Baltimore, I know they are concerned about the diversity of their hiring. I suggest you talk to the HR people, and perhaps they have a recruiter who specializes. They may be able to help with suggestions for your fiancee's job hunt. She may need to look closer to Washington.

I honestly think you may be bored. The place is great for fishing and outdoor activities. Most of the other people will work at the base, and some will be from out-of-town like yourself. The ethnic composition of Lexington Park, MD can be found here: http://www.city-data.com/city/Lexing...-Maryland.html .

Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Default Thank You!

I was a bit concerned about that..(the commute to DC that is).. You see, I was hopingthat she may be able towork closer to home as we have a 6 year old.. I may be working long hours at the NAS so I would want her to be there for any of his needs.

Well we are not big party people and I anticipate doing some weekend trips to NY and to DC and surrounding areas for a while (When money allows)... But the basic fun that we would want like shopping malls, sushi, going to the movies... These things are important for day to day happiness...

Would moving to Pax be Too hard on us?

Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
But the basic fun that we would want like shopping malls, sushi, going to the movies... These things are important for day to day happiness...
Well, the sushi may not be LA quality, but it's available at the Sake Japanese Steak House in Lexington Park. The basic shopping is available, but I can't help you decide how much you would miss the good malls.

If the financial offer better in Lexington Park than Waco, you still have to factor in the cost of housing, which is probably higher in Maryland.

Is Medical Coding the type of work your fiancee could do from home? I suggest doing a search on indeed.com for her work, and see what's available.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 AM

Default Suggestions

Well actually the offer in Waco is significantly higher than in Maryland, but for a less reputable company. The cost of living according to the calculator is about 50% more expensive in Maryland. However, the position at Lockheed may open more doors in the future. To be honest our plan is to stay in Maryland for a year or two then return to Lockheed in Palmdale CA when an opening comes up... I guess the entire idea is just for me to get into LMA.
Well her work can be done from home, but she needs software and other things which she may not be able to do at home... Also, I would feel badly leaving her home totally alone all day... She would end up very upset and resentful I think.
Also, being that the cost of living is higher in Maryland and I am actually taking a pay cut, we may need for her to work. I thought maybe she could go to school at St. Mary's college and get financial aid... maybe work towards her RN...

Old 06-05-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
I thought maybe she could go to school at St. Mary's college and get financial aid... maybe work towards her RN...
Then your plan to use the Pax River job as a stepping-stone to something else sounds OK. My experience with Lockheed was good, and I retired from them. The less reputable company could lay you off and leave you stuck in Waco.

BTW, St. Mary's is a state school, and your wife may have to have residence in Maryland to qualify for in-state tuition. But, I suggest asking the HR people if they could suggest something for your wife.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 PM

Default Lockheed Vs. L-3 Communications

Well LMA has not been the best when it comes to this relocation. In fact I may have to pay $3000 out of my own pocket for this relocation. I have to do a 4 month TDY in Dalls Texas before moving to Pax River. Since my fiance is only a fiance and not a wife, they will not assist me in any way for her portion of the move. LMA will not pay for my TDY and only MY portion of the relocation to Pax River...
She would be applying there when we are living in MD... but I don't know if they have the 6 month waiting period for in-state tuition that they have here in CA.

L-3 in Waco is pretty big in Waco, they do the LMA P-3 Orion and the C-130.. as well as some commercial.. The thing with L-3 is that they are paying very well and giving me a Senior Engineering position. I am 31 which make the offer of senior engineer shocking... BUT I would be stuck in Waco... LMA means I could come back to Edwards or Skunk Works... Maybe on the U-2 (which I interned with in college).

I am sooo torn...

Old 06-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Since my fiance is only a fiance and not a wife, they will not assist me in any way for her portion of the move. LMA will not pay for my TDY and only MY portion of the relocation to Pax River...
She would be applying there when we are living in MD... but I don't know if they have the 6 month waiting period for in-state tuition that they have here in CA.
There is a 1 year residency requirement before you can apply for in-state status. This is for UMCP, but I think rules are the same: University of Maryland Undergraduate Catalog 2011-2012 St. Mary's is expensive!

Sorry to hear that LMA won't help with your fiancee's relocation. You two need to talk about the future. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:26 PM

Smile What about Waldorf??

Would it be advisable to commute to NAS Pax River from a larger city? Maybe Waldorf? Are there any others?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Would it be advisable to commute to NAS Pax River from a larger city? Maybe Waldorf? Are there any others?
The problem with Waldorf is that the schools for your 6-year-old are mediocre (ratings of 3-4 of 10 on Greatschools.) In addition, it's over an hour to your job. There are fans of Charles County on this forum, and maybe they will speak up, or you could search the forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland