Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2012, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,699 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to pack up all I can in my Ford Focus and drive to the beauitful state of MD. I want a better life for myself and I'm getting old--27 this November. I know it will be sketchy but I want to know best areas to live in on a salary of 40-50k. I know my stage in careers isn't the most glam,I graduated in 2010 but I want to make a new mark for myself.

I have also heard the job market in DMV area is highly competitive. Any pointers about career fields that re booming. My past jobs have been admin/case management/hr. Any tips would be helpful as I'm looking to move in Jan since my state job will end on Dec 31st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 05:54 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Yes. Unless you have 6 months or so of living money set aside don't move here without a job. If you have a kid $40K gets him Free and Reduced Meals at school.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:22 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,086,237 times
I'm not sure the DMV is hiring, and we call it the MVA (Motor Vehicle Administration). I don't know where the idea that this area is called DMV came from but most folks around here wouldn't recognize it. When I first saw it on this forum I thought someone was using a new shorthand for the Eastern Shore (Known as the DelMarVa peninsula)

The job market here is good but not perfect. I don't know what degree you have or what career field you are looking at but if you are looking in the Metro area 40-50K isn't much. If you are looking further out (Frederick, Carroll, Washington counties) it will go further but in general the salaries are lower out there because they think folks will take less to have less of a commute.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 AM

92 posts, read 429,008 times
40-50K will probably get you a lot less than what you're used to in TX, but it certainly enough to live off of if you don't mind a smaller apartment or roommates. If you're more interested in western or eastern MD (both beautiful but less developed) that amount will get you a little further. I would agree with others that you should not move here without a job lined up already, otherwise you will blow through any savings in no time. There are lots of job options and fields in the DC/Baltimore area, but they can be competitive. Your best bet if you really want to make the move is to start looking and figure out where you want to be, what fields you can/want to work in there, and start contacting and lining up interviews well before you move.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,290 times
Oh, I thought she meant DMV......DC Maryland and VA area -just didn't know the abbreviation

Old 07-18-2012, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,290 times
I lived my most of my life in Maryland. I have wandered, my last move was to Houston for 3 years and back home to Maryland.
The weather is much better here, not the extremes of Texas, you should enjoy snow at Christmas time
Job wise you will make more here but you will have to spend more money here. The housing problems are not bad here like everywhere else in the country. Not many deals to be had. A rental in a nice safe neighborhood won't be less than $1500 /mo for a 2 br and up.
I paid less than $1100/mo mortgage for my Houston/Kingwood area 4 br colonial with irrigation and a pool.
Basically, it is all relative. Make more here, spend more here.
If you have no relatives or friends to help.....Make sure you have a bunch of cash!
Good Luck.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 AM

29 posts, read 69,080 times
Hi I lived in MD all my life and youre not making a mistake. The taxes and stuff might be more expensiver from other places but the salary is much.much more than other states.
if you are looking for a place and ypu dont care bout the schools I recommend some parts of Silver Spring SS or Laurel. Both are great places to live in with cheap homes to buy. Its a buyers markwt now so ypu shpild take advatange of it i like both Silver Spring and Laurel because both is a great place to commute and are very close walkable to stores ammentiy and a great community! Great nightlife in both city and not too crowed or expensive or old! Both close to major cities such as DC Baltimore or Annpolis.Drive around and check them out especially Laurel!

As for the job two things. Make sre to have great connections and a great resume x
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland