Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:54 PM

575 posts, read 554,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I've started wondering if I could do more by changing parties and trying to drag the Democrats back to the middle. Especially since I'm now in a Democrat Congressional district
I really wish we could move back to the middle. The Progressives and Liberal Democrats have really screwed up the party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 04:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I've started wondering if I could do more by changing parties and trying to drag the Democrats back to the middle. Especially since I'm now in a Democrat Congressional district
You have it backwards.
It's the Republicans who need to be dragged back to the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderBryce View Post
I really wish we could move back to the middle.
The Progressives and Liberal Democrats have really screwed up the party.
What you're seeing is defense of gains achieved against those who will attempt to re-fight
their lost battles from decades past over and over and over again hoping to gain one small
crumb of their agenda at a time.

Quote:
Black people can be very hypocritical at times. We to were once denied the right to marry
and yet we sit here today and deny others the right all because a pastor tell us too.
I swear it's like there are some of us who can't think for themselves w/o the church telling them how to.
And the Republican leadership is more than happy to have you make their illogical fight for them.
If the Republicans were to abandon these hot button social issues or at least to (genuinely!)
set them aside as political rallying cries then the debate might be able to focus on the fiscal
and administrative policy matters that government is supposed to be about.

By allowing the zealots on the right to become the leaders and by that leadership force
the party to focus on these peripheral and social issues... you (in turn) force the zealots
on the left to defend against encroachment of their hard won rights.

Being divisive and obstinate for it's own sake seems to be preferred to governance.
It's political terrorism right out of the PLO handbook.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-23-2012 at 05:48 AM..

Old 07-23-2012, 06:03 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You have it backwards.
It's the Republicans who need to be dragged back to the middle.
In Maryland, the Democrats need to be dragged back into the middle as much as the Republicans do.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:23 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Going back a couple post about Blacks, Republicans and gay marriage. The Republicans were disinvited from the petition to referendum drive on that law. The disinvitation came from the Black ministers and churches that spearheaded the petition drive.

As a note, Republicans and the Black establishment worked together on the MD Dream Act petition drive as well as, to an extent, the redistricting petition.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 AM

575 posts, read 554,325 times
I read a nice editorial in the Washington Post on Saturday which said that O'Malley and the Democrats in this state are basically doing what the GOP has done in other states by effectively making it into a 1-party state through redistricting.

Here is the editorial: Righting the tilted system of a gerrymandered map in Maryland - The Washington Post

MD's new Congressional Districts: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...map/index.html

Last edited by InvaderBryce; 07-23-2012 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Adding more information

Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I read a nice editorial in the Washington Post on Saturday which said that O'Malley and the Democrats in this state are basically doing what the GOP has done in other states by effectively making it into a 1-party state through redistricting.
I'm in one of those states now.
A tongue in cheek world wide perspective on it:
Attached Thumbnails
Who's the next Governor of Maryland-worldpersf.png  

Old 07-23-2012, 03:42 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Franchot is campaigning very hard out here in Western Maryland. He is breaking with the Governor on issues like coal mining and taxes. He is doing more stumping out here than he probably should considering how few Democrats we have compared to the rest of the state.

I suspect he has done the math and sees some angle in being the champion of the more rural counties in the state. I have a hard time seeing that being a winning plan in a Dem primary, but maybe he sees the race breaking down along geographic and racial lines. Brown and Gansler spliting the vote in the "big three" counties and Franchot winning the smaller counties handily and eeking out victory.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:50 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Franchot is campaigning very hard out here in Western Maryland. He is breaking with the Governor on issues like coal mining and taxes. He is doing more stumping out here than he probably should considering how few Democrats we have compared to the rest of the state.

I suspect he has done the math and sees some angle in being the champion of the more rural counties in the state. I have a hard time seeing that being a winning plan in a Dem primary, but maybe he sees the race breaking down along geographic and racial lines. Brown and Gansler spliting the vote in the "big three" counties and Franchot winning the smaller counties handily and eeking out victory.
I suspect you're right. I didn't know he was heading out your way much, he's been a real fixture here the last year or so (we have a building dedication, rather a re-dedication (a real long story), tomorrow and he's on the RSVP guest list. I don't know whether he's going to speak or not). He also was real high profile at the MD Municipal League Conventions the last few years.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Brown and Gansler spliting ... and Franchot...
rock, paper, scissors

Rock, paper, scissors, lizard, Spock..... - YouTube

Old 07-24-2012, 03:44 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I suspect you're right. I didn't know he was heading out your way much, he's been a real fixture here the last year or so (we have a building dedication, rather a re-dedication (a real long story), tomorrow and he's on the RSVP guest list. I don't know whether he's going to speak or not). He also was real high profile at the MD Municipal League Conventions the last few years.
Interesting. Franchot has been out here at least twice for high profile visits this year, including at a Maryland Coal Association meeting, followed by meet and greet with the local Democratic movers and shakers.

2014 would be a great year for an open primary (I know, keep dreaming ,) I would vote the Dem primary ticket if a Pro-Business Dem had a shot at the Governor's Mansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland