Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:22 PM

228 posts, read 600,874 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I have been living in this area now for two months. I thought it would be a good idea to start this thread so we can share, track, discuss news we here of new companies, business, restaurants, etc. coming into the area.

So, has anyone heard anything of new industries moving in, stores, etc.? Thanks and let's get the discussion going! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:30 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,508,240 times
I wish you all the best of luck in this thread, but there are scant few posters from those parts.

Anyway, I'm not sure how new it is, but I've enjoyed all of my trips to Dante's in Frostburg.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 PM

228 posts, read 600,874 times
I've yet to get to Dante's, but I am going to be trying out Wild Things new coffee shop this weekend. Have high hopes!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:13 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
An Allegany County Development Thread? Good idea, not much content over the last 60 years.

Let's see....

I think they are moving Arby's in LaVale to put in a CVS
Slots coming into Rocky Gap.....at the expense of conference room space...talk about the bait and switch.
American Woodmart is bringing back a few hundred jobs in Moorefield, WV.

As a new Allegany Countian, always remember, when in doubt, also assume the one or two construction projects going on in the area is a Red Lobster Local inside joke, we have been promised one as long as I have been alive.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:43 AM

342 posts, read 1,554,082 times
Cumberland might think about development other than tourism. The city and county could encourage developers to construct senior housing,that is, elevator condos or those single-level duplexes that one can see in Hagerstown. If they ever vacate Alleghany High School that would be a good spot for the elevator condos. Cumberland as a retirement destination! Remember that song Mose Allison used to sing, "Young Man Blues"? The old men got all the money.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Speaking of "old men got all the money", what's happening with Terrapin Run?

Old 08-07-2012, 01:53 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,377 times
Allegany and Garrett Counties are part of the "Power of 32" regional visioning project.

Home : Power of 32

Quote:
Imagine what might happen if western Pennsylvania, eastern Ohio, northern West Virginia and western Maryland joined forces to pursue economic development. The result would be a powerhouse boasting 4 million residents and a treasure trove of natural resources. With those assets, the mega-region, if you will, would function as a colossus of global commerce, a much more potent force than any of the states could be acting alone.

http://times-news.com/local/x3005177...x-major-themes

Four Power of 32 states share similar vision for future » Local News » Cumberland Times-News

Quote:

Colleen Peterson, executive director of The Greater Cumberland Committee, has been named a co-chair of the Transportation/Infrastructure Committee. Her committee will meet to determine the best course of action to address the issues facing communities throughout the region. She is also a member of the Power of 32 Steering Committee.

“There is major potential in this type of collaborative effort. Bringing people together from such a wide breadth of backgrounds is exciting,” Peterson said.

States working to form regional blueprint » Local News » Cumberland Times-News

Old 08-07-2012, 02:25 PM

As for Terrapin Run, I haven't heard anything in a while. There was a newspaper report about the plans to build being back on, but I don't think it has gone anywhere yet.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:49 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Allegany and Garrett Counties are part of the "Power of 32" regional visioning project.

Home : Power of 32
Needs a more distinctive name. How about "Yinzer-land"?

(impressed on how this is locally sensitive enough to pick up Mineral County WV)

Old 08-08-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Needs a more distinctive name. How about "Yinzer-land"?

(impressed on how this is locally sensitive enough to pick up Mineral County WV)
Yeah pretty much. If you ever stoved your finger, you are in the Power of 32

I think Mineral County, WV is included since it is part of the Cumberland MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland