U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 10:08 AM

71 posts, read 603,565 times

Advertisements

Looking for information on all or any school districts in Maryland. I want to know which are hiring, which are on hiring freezes, which are laying people off, etc. I have been looking for a teaching job in Maryland (I've pretty much narrowed it down to Baltimore County, Anne Arundel, Howard, Montgomery, Frederick, Carroll, Queen Anne's and Harford and am pretty flexible since I will definitely be relocating). I don't have much information on any of them so any info would be helpful. I went to several job fairs and talked to all of those districts and was basically told they would all be hiring some teachers for elementary education, which is what I am certified in. Though I have applied to them all, I have not heard anything yet and school starts in a few weeks for the teachers so I am getting nervous. I would like to start calling and emailing people but would like to narrow my search and try hard for a job in the districts I know might still be hiring.

So far, I have heard Anne Arundel is on a pay freeze or is just subtracting years on the salary scale for new hires... this makes me wonder if they are able to afford new hires at all. I know last year, a friend of a friend got a job in Anne Arundel with no experience. I don't know if they were hiring last year and now they aren't?

I heard Montgomery County had been on a hiring freeze... are they still?

I heard Harford County was also on a salary freeze. Have they been laying off teachers? I know it's a smaller district so there are probably less jobs there anyway.

I heard a friend of a friend of a friend with no experience got a job in Howard County the other day even though I had previously heard Howard CO was not looking for any elementary candidates and it was very difficult to get a job there in any subject (I have a few years experience). I'd like to know her secret!

Baltimore County said they would hire a few but were not really in need of elementary.

I know Baltimore City and Prince George County are hiring so I don't need much information on them.

Any secrets on getting a job in an elementary school in any county in Maryland would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thank you

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 01:48 PM

386 posts, read 551,583 times
I dont think Howard is in a freeze but I may be wrong. I dont think my wife has gotten a raise in steps in a while, but did get moved to the graduate level scale which was a nice bump in pay (with my salary cut she makes more ). As for getting a job in Howard....good luck! My wife went to a great school and had a great GPA, credentials and also was employed with the county already as a sub and it took MANY interviews and LOTS of calling around....and this was pre recession/freezes.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
I dont think Howard is in a freeze but I may be wrong. I dont think my wife has gotten a raise in steps in a while, but did get moved to the graduate level scale which was a nice bump in pay (with my salary cut she makes more ). As for getting a job in Howard....good luck! My wife went to a great school and had a great GPA, credentials and also was employed with the county already as a sub and it took MANY interviews and LOTS of calling around....and this was pre recession/freezes.

Thanks for the info! Do you work in a school district as well? I heard it was difficult to get a job in Howard... so I was surprised the girl I mentioned (friend of a friend of a friend) was hired so easily. I don't know all the details since I don't know her personally but she graduated in May, had no connection to Howard County SD, no experience, interviewed one day and was hired the next. Of course then my friends who are not teachers said it must not be that difficult... but I am having a much harder time!

I am living in PA and have been subbing here so I have no connection with any districts in MD but am very interested in moving to teach there. I have experience and am almost finished with my master's degree (I left my last teaching job when I moved across the country to PA, and I'd like to stay somewhat close to here). I know a lot of new graduates without teaching jobs but was hoping my experience and graduate credits might help. Not yet so far

Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM

503 posts, read 678,048 times
AA takes off two years of experience no matter what.

It's just what they do.

Has nothing to do with a hiring freeze.

And they are hiring.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
AA takes off two years of experience no matter what.

It's just what they do.

Has nothing to do with a hiring freeze.

And they are hiring.
Thanks for the info! The employment section on their website added this:
External candidates entering Anne Arundel County Public Schools service on any date subsequent to September 21, 2011, will have their respective credit for prior experience reduced by three (3) years.

So if they are trying to save money, I wasn't sure if they were hiring too many teachers. Also, I went to some jobs fairs and they were one of the only districts that said they wouldn't do preliminary interviews at the job fair and I didn't know if that's what they normally do or if it had to do with hiring less this year. The recruiters said they are hiring but it will be hundreds less than it has been the last few years (and that includes all areas, elementary doesn't seem to be a needed area).

How do you know they are hiring? Do you know if it's typical for them to wait until right before school starts to still be hiring?

Thank you!

Old 08-08-2012, 04:10 AM

503 posts, read 678,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuartB View Post
How do you know they are hiring? Do you know if it's typical for them to wait until right before school starts to still be hiring?

Thank you!
I know they've been hiring this summer because they hired me.

Changes happen all of the way up until the first day of school in large systems. Military transfers, illness, spousal job changes all contribute to last minute resignations.

Occasionally there are unexpected changes in enrollment that allow for positions to be added in specific schools. I don't know how much it happens like that in AACO but in my last system they would be creating new sections of classes after school started and scrambling to hire people.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Bowman View Post
I know they've been hiring this summer because they hired me.

Changes happen all of the way up until the first day of school in large systems. Military transfers, illness, spousal job changes all contribute to last minute resignations.

Occasionally there are unexpected changes in enrollment that allow for positions to be added in specific schools. I don't know how much it happens like that in AACO but in my last system they would be creating new sections of classes after school started and scrambling to hire people.

Awesome, congratulations! I like hearing about people that are getting hired, it gives me hope! If you don't mind me asking, what was the hiring process like? Did they hire you in early summer? Did they call you first for the preliminary interview and then principals called after that? Were there multiple interviews (including demonstration lessons, etc.)? I am wondering if there is even time for that before school starts. I see the calendar says new teachers start this week coming up! That also kind of made me give up hope for Anne Arundel but maybe they will also be scrambling to hire people last minute like you said your last school district had.

Thank you!

Old 08-08-2012, 10:33 AM

386 posts, read 551,583 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info! Do you work in a school district as well? I heard it was difficult to get a job in Howard... so I was surprised the girl I mentioned (friend of a friend of a friend) was hired so easily. I don't know all the details since I don't know her personally but she graduated in May, had no connection to Howard County SD, no experience, interviewed one day and was hired the next. Of course then my friends who are not teachers said it must not be that difficult... but I am having a much harder time!

I am living in PA and have been subbing here so I have no connection with any districts in MD but am very interested in moving to teach there. I have experience and am almost finished with my master's degree (I left my last teaching job when I moved across the country to PA, and I'd like to stay somewhat close to here). I know a lot of new graduates without teaching jobs but was hoping my experience and graduate credits might help. Not yet so far
No I work elsewhere. But yes that is right about Howard county. Its tough. Like I said my wife already worked for them + great school + great grades + connections (mom and lots of family friends teach and work in the county) and still took alot of effort.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 PM

26 posts, read 44,307 times
Quote:
Looking for information on all or any school districts in Maryland. I want to know which are hiring, which are on hiring freezes, which are laying people off, etc. I have been looking for a teaching job in Maryland (I've pretty much narrowed it down to Baltimore County, Anne Arundel, Howard, Montgomery, Frederick, Carroll, Queen Anne's and Harford and am pretty flexible since I will definitely be relocating). I don't have much information on any of them so any info would be helpful. I went to several job fairs and talked to all of those districts and was basically told they would all be hiring some teachers for elementary education, which is what I am certified in. Though I have applied to them all, I have not heard anything yet and school starts in a few weeks for the teachers so I am getting nervous. I would like to start calling and emailing people but would like to narrow my search and try hard for a job in the districts I know might still be hiring.

So far, I have heard Anne Arundel is on a pay freeze or is just subtracting years on the salary scale for new hires... this makes me wonder if they are able to afford new hires at all. I know last year, a friend of a friend got a job in Anne Arundel with no experience. I don't know if they were hiring last year and now they aren't?

I heard Montgomery County had been on a hiring freeze... are they still?

I heard Harford County was also on a salary freeze. Have they been laying off teachers? I know it's a smaller district so there are probably less jobs there anyway.

I heard a friend of a friend of a friend with no experience got a job in Howard County the other day even though I had previously heard Howard CO was not looking for any elementary candidates and it was very difficult to get a job there in any subject (I have a few years experience). I'd like to know her secret!

Baltimore County said they would hire a few but were not really in need of elementary.

I know Baltimore City and Prince George County are hiring so I don't need much information on them.

Any secrets on getting a job in an elementary school in any county in Maryland would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Thank you

Have you considered getting additional certifications through the PRAXIS tests?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL_in_DWG View Post
Have you considered getting additional certifications through the PRAXIS tests?
Yes! I am also certified in middle school math. I have considered taking more tests but I would have to buy some books to study and the tests are expensive and without a job, I just can't afford it. I thought the math would help but I don't really want to teach middle school math (though I did apply and haven't heard from that either). I eventually will also get certified in special education, but that's not going to happen for a while and I would like a teaching job now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or