U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 PM

810 posts, read 813,960 times

Advertisements

I'm currently residing in Alexandria; however, I plan to relocate to Rockville to be closer to my office area once my lease expires in December. Although I can't wait to live closer to work, I do have a few reservations.

I'm a black young professional woman and not really certain if Rockville town center area will be a good fit, because the area didn't seem diverse.

I'd love to find out more about the area from people who actually reside there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 05:59 PM

82 posts, read 156,456 times
Ooh, tricky question! One thing I have learned on city data is that one person's idea of diversity is not quite another's. I am in that area often - love the library, the little faux baubles jewelry shop (called "Ice" maybe) and the whole town center in general. I hope someone who lives in the actual neighborhood itself can give you some idea. From my outsider-looking-in perspective: there is some diversity. Not on an Alexandria level, but there. The most obvious nonwhite group is Asian. After that, a mix of Hispanic and black. I use the term black instead of African American, as some in the area are African without the American part. Having looked at several single family homes in the surrounding neighborhood, I would say the majority are currently white owned with Asian quickly overtaking. Some of the homes I have seen have had an AA presence (pics on the walls, etc) but I cannot account for the brand new apartments and town homes in the area. Hopefully you can find someone here who lives there and can give you a more personal opinion. My suggestion is to hang out there in both the day time and in the evening a couple of times before you buy. The crowd at night looks different than in the day. Not in a bad way, but more of the stroller brigade in the day from the area homes, more of the young singles in the evening.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:06 PM

810 posts, read 813,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zxcvbn View Post
Ooh, tricky question! One thing I have learned on city data is that one person's idea of diversity is not quite another's. I am in that area often - love the library, the little faux baubles jewelry shop (called "Ice" maybe) and the whole town center in general. I hope someone who lives in the actual neighborhood itself can give you some idea. From my outsider-looking-in perspective: there is some diversity. Not on an Alexandria level, but there. The most obvious nonwhite group is Asian. After that, a mix of Hispanic and black. I use the term black instead of African American, as some in the area are African without the American part. Having looked at several single family homes in the surrounding neighborhood, I would say the majority are currently white owned with Asian quickly overtaking. Some of the homes I have seen have had an AA presence (pics on the walls, etc) but I cannot account for the brand new apartments and town homes in the area. Hopefully you can find someone here who lives there and can give you a more personal opinion. My suggestion is to hang out there in both the day time and in the evening a couple of times before you buy. The crowd at night looks different than in the day. Not in a bad way, but more of the stroller brigade in the day from the area homes, more of the young singles in the evening.
I strolled around the area during the day and absolutely fell in love with the quaint neighborhood. I loved the fact that a library was within walking distance from the apt. building that I'm interested in... Also, I enjoyed checking out many of the shops in the area. -But, you're right, I should check out the night scene...

Old 04-20-2013, 02:49 PM
LRG

74 posts, read 91,687 times
I live in North Bethesda and go to the Rockville Town Center easily once or a twice a week. The main library there is awesome and there are some nice places to eat, drink and people watch there. I'm a single black female, late 30s, and I feel completely comfortable there. No weird "why are you here?/you ain't one of us" vibe at all. I was actually seriously considering moving down there after my lease expired because I spend some much time there, even though it would have added two more stops to my metro commute. I liked it that much! I think you'll be fine there.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:32 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,121,355 times
Rockville has a lot of black people (mostly in Lincoln Park on the east side of the metro station) and plenty work in Rockville as well. You'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland