Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 12:33 AM

192 posts, read 530,370 times

Advertisements

So how bad did hurricane sandy hit the area around Pocomoke city? I was listening to Froggy on iheartradio last week when they were playing the news updates all night. It sounds like Crisfield almost got wiped off the map but I couldn’t find anything about Pocomoke. Hopefully someone from the area could chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 01:47 PM

201 posts, read 573,822 times
From what i've heard Pocomoke is fine. Probably a few trees down and some flooding. I don't think Worcester county (with the exception of O.C.) was terribly effected, just some power outages and minor flood damage.

Old 11-08-2012, 07:36 PM

I’m glad to hear that. Also could you be a bit more specific about what is considered minor flooding in MD? I actually asked a similar question a few months back and someone said that it doesn’t get too bad in Worchester County although sometimes the water could be high enough to stall out a car engine. In my area of the country we don’t get any flooding so I wouldn’t know what to compare that with. About how high does the water rise in minor floods? And do you know if the river rose to the point where it was unsafe to cross the Market street bridge like it was in Snow Hill?

Last edited by Corrion14621; 11-08-2012 at 07:45 PM..

Old 11-11-2012, 06:26 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Minor flooding (at least as I define it here on my side of the Bay) would be road/bridge closures in the low areas which tend to flood in high water/higher than normal tide situations with no or little damage to public or private property.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Minor flooding (at least as I define it here on my side of the Bay) would be road/bridge closures in the low areas which tend to flood in high water/higher than normal tide situations with no or little damage to public or private property.
That’s encouraging, is the eastern shore known to be more prone to flooding then the coastal parts of the western shore? And do you know if the lower neighborhoods in Baltimore, like the inner harbour or the areas around the port, experienced any flooding this year?

Old 11-12-2012, 01:45 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Remember that much of the Shore is only a few feet above sea level so if you're near water there will always be the chance of flooding in an event. Add to that the flatness of the terrain and heavy rains will cause flooding due to drainage issues. You will know those areas prone to flooding due to signage or, if you're buying a house, your mortgage company.

Baltimore does have flooding on some streets due to heavy rains on a somewhat regular basis. I don't think it had much tidal flooding from this last storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland