U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2006, 12:44 PM

31 posts, read 82,341 times

Advertisements

I'M HOPING SOMEONE CAN GIVE ME ADVICE. I CURRENTLY LIVE IN NY (LONG ISLAND). I'M CONSIDERING MOVING TO ST. MARYS COUNTY, I HAVE A JOB OFFER THAT STARTS AT 36K. I CURRENTLY MAKE 50K HERE IN NY, BUT THE COST OF LIVING IS ASTRONOMICAL, I PAY 8K PER YR. PROPERTY TAXES!!! I HAVE A WIFE AND 2 LITTLE BOYS, CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME AN IDEA ABOUT UTILITIES. WHAT IS THE AVERAGE ELECTRIC BILL, WATER, ETC.... ALSO...DO THEY KILL YOU ON TAXES? I CURRENTLY MAKE 19OO.00 EVERY 2 WEEKS, BUT I ONLY TAKE HOME 1400. IN MARYLAND I WOULD MAKE AROUND 1300 EVERY 2 WEEKS, BUT I'M HOPING THEY WOULDN'T KILL ME AS MUCH ON TAXES. MY LAST QUESTION IS THIS: I'M COMING DOWN THERE WITH ABOUT 175K FROM THE SALE OF MY HOUSE, SO ASSUMING I PUT DOWN AROUND 125-140 ON A HOUSE, MY MORTGAGE PAYMENT WOULD NOT BE THAT HIGH, IS IT POSSIBLE TO SURVIVE ON ABOUT 45-48K PER YR (MY WIFE WILL WORK PART TIME UNTIL MY LITTLE ONE STARTS SCHOOL) FOR A FAMILY OF 4 UNTIL MY WIFE WORKS FULL TIME IN 3 YRS?? I REALIZE THIS IS A LONG THREAD, I JUST DON'T WANT TO GO FROM ONE BAD SITUATION TO ANOTHER, AND I'M A BIT NERVOUS. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE APPRECIATED, ESPECIALLY FROM FORMER NYers.. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP...I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 05:59 PM

11 posts, read 53,506 times
That doesn't sound like much money to move for! From what I have read and know, the people I meet from Maryland are not exactly rural. Have you tried filing exempt for taxes are work? That is a lot of deduction. What if you live in New Jersey in work in NY do you still have to pay city tax?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:40 PM

31 posts, read 82,341 times
Default Utlities/Home Price in St Marys County

I posted about this topic the other day, but have not gotten any responses yet. Maybe I rambled on too much, in a nutshell, heres my question.......I am considering relocating to st. marys county from Long Island, NY. I have a wife and 2 little boys. I was hoping someone could help me out and tell me a few things, such as....what is the average house price in the area? Utilities....how much is the average electric bill, water, garbage, etc....Thanks in advance for any help, I APPRECIATE IT.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:42 AM

1 posts, read 4,646 times
Its pretty expensive living in St. Mary's County or Maryland in general. Utility bills, depending on what you have, can be between 300 to 800 a month. Its possible for you to survive on 45-48K/yr, but I think you could do better moving outside the city, near your job in NY.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:09 AM

6 posts, read 28,195 times
Talking Moving Further Into Maryland

I'm responding to the gentleman who is wondering about the high cost of utility bills in St Mary's Co. I would suggest that you show your two boys how to turn off lights when they are not in the room. I do understand that NY is very expensive, but if you move to St Mary's County or any other area within MD or VA, you will still have the same problem -- high utility bill because someone is leaving on lights, etc. I'm moving further into Maryland because of the high crime in Prince George's County, MD to include the fact that the Board of Directors for my condo community has an "I don't care, we only want your condo fee" attitude about all sorts of issues that is happening in my community. For one, I like to be able to park my car without a bunch of kids using the parking area as a football field and damaging my car; I like the ability to know that I can park my car in a parking space without a selfish, inconsiderate neighbor using a visitor's parking space to store 3 or 4 vehicles who only has a 2 driver household, and I like to know that the Board of Directors will act on a complaint about drug selling and use in the community without "sweeping it under the rug or not taking any action at all."

In short, St Mary's County's property taxes, depending on what you are buying, seems to be much cheaper than Prince George's County property taxes and that too depends on what you have (e.g., townhouse, family house, condo). Do some research. Check out some areas for employment, etc. before you move. Line up your job, first, then move.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:17 AM

3 posts, read 6,842 times
Please note that St. Mary's County is VERY rural. Those of us who were born and raised in the area like to refer to this part of MD as "country." Although the area has grown significantly over the past 5 years, there are still a lot of farms around.

Most people think that the entire state of MD is all huge cities. Fortunately for you, this is not the case.The Lexington Park/Leonardtown area is full of military families, as the Patuxent Naval Base is located in Lexington Park. The cost of living in St. Mary's County is much cheaper (and the area is 100% safer) than Prince George's County. Charles County is also very comparable as far as standards of living are concerned, although it is a more populous county.

Depending on the size of your house, utilities (water, cable, power, etc.) will probably run anywhere from $200 to $500. I think $800 is a little extreme. I know of plenty of families with far more than 2 kids, with only one spouse working, who bring in less than $30k a year. They seem to manage just fine.

You just have to remember that St. Mary's County is NOTHING like Long Island! (I've lived in both places myself.) As with moving to any new town with a different economy, you have to learn how to pinch and save where you can.

I hope this helps clear up some misconceptions from others who have posted in response to your original letter.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:43 PM

525 posts, read 1,218,353 times
Plus if you have 125 to put down on a home, you might be able to find something for 300 which you would have a mortgage for 175 and not have to carry PMI and your property taxes woudl not be 8k! I think 800 isa little extreme too...my 'rents live there and I KNOW their utilities are far less tahn 800 a month! about 150 for electric/50 for water and then verizon offers unlmted local/long dist. for about 50 a month plus you have tv and internet too.
ST Mary's is fairly rural still but lots of growing business. I think you could live fine on that much a year, however I would check your withholdings on your W4s so that you have less taxes taken out, less return but more in your paycheck.
look on www.somd.com and realtor.com for some of the home listings

Old 01-06-2007, 01:52 AM

2 posts, read 6,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resident View Post
Plus if you have 125 to put down on a home, you might be able to find something for 300 which you would have a mortgage for 175 and not have to carry PMI and your property taxes woudl not be 8k! I think 800 isa little extreme too...my 'rents live there and I KNOW their utilities are far less tahn 800 a month! about 150 for electric/50 for water and then verizon offers unlmted local/long dist. for about 50 a month plus you have tv and internet too.
ST Mary's is fairly rural still but lots of growing business. I think you could live fine on that much a year, however I would check your withholdings on your W4s so that you have less taxes taken out, less return but more in your paycheck.
look on www.somd.com and realtor.com for some of the home listings
More or less agree with this post although a salary at your level might hurt your chances at qualifying for a mortgage. No big deal because there are plenty of mortgage companies, etc. that would probably give you a chance given that you have a significant downpayment and are a previous homeowner (assuming your credit scores are pretty good). I think you should check out somd.com as mentioned above. Join the forums there and ask your questions. You will get some good, and some not so good, advice and information. Southern Marylanders are a chatty bunch when they want to be, especially when asked about southern Maryland. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,302 times
Yes, Saint Mary's County is very rural! Takes 1 hour to drive to a mall in Waldorf (don't get me started on that nasty place). We moved to Saint Mary's County, from Portsmouth Va, last fall and really like it. We are a retired Navy family, husband works for a government contractor at Pax River Naval Air Station. Cost of living is pretty comparable to Portsmouth, VA area but let me warn you......they tax the living daylight out of your vehicles when you move to the state of Maryland. We paid over $800 in taxes on our 2005 Honda and 2005 Chevy Pickup ! Yikes! We are renting in Dameron (VERY Southern Maryland) while we build a new home in Leonardtown. Expect to drive quite a while to get to stores, etc., but it is well worth getting away from the crime area that you would find in D.C./ Baltimore/ Waldorf. Indeed you should join a forum on Southern Maryland Online™ - Your on-line community for Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary's Counties.™ Good luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 01:43 PM

1,389 posts, read 4,423,488 times
Again crime is every where thats why before you move any where check it out first. Please do not judge the entire pg county as been dangerous because it not. If you want safe you have to move to the safer areas in Pg county. Its do funny people talk about pg that way but if you had mention Washington Dc you would have gotten its nice because white are moving in more then pg county but crimes in Pg is 100% less then Washington DC so again its race. When ever you are judging people or an state or county or city you can not judge an entire area because of your experience and say the entire county is bad because that is 100% wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland