Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:26 AM

6 posts, read 9,360 times

Advertisements

Relocating from Northern VA - Recently Divorced, 40 year old African American female with daughters who will be entering in 6th grade and Kindergarten. I've heard wonderful things about the charm of Ellicott City, but also hearing that it's not too diverse and it's primarily a "family" area. I was born and raised in Northern Virginia and love the diversity of that area. Moving here for a huge job opportunity, but extremely nervous. So far everyone has recommended the Centennial High School district, as areas to live in, however, I keep reading that it's a primarily Asian area. The right school district, safe/low crime area with good amenities (basic restaurants, dance schools, grocery stores) is extremely important to me. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 08:06 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
I'll let someone who knows the area better give a more complete report. But I will say "Ellicott City" is huge and is very different depending on the area. Historic Main Street EC is nothing short of awesome but it's very expensive and not sure about the raising daughters there. But for dinner out with friends, to to stroll the shops, it's really cool.

http://www.ellicottcity.net/tourism/

Ellicott City, Maryland - Destination Main Streets - Shopping, Dining, Events, and Attractions

Good luck, you will like the area.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:45 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boot silva View Post
So far everyone has recommended the Centennial High School district, as areas to live in, however, I keep reading that it's a primarily Asian area. The right school district, safe/low crime area with good amenities (basic restaurants, dance schools, grocery stores) is extremely important to me.
All of the schools in Howard County are very good, so I would not be concerned about picking the "best" high school. I would look west of Route 29, along the Route 40 corridor. There are numerous townhouse communities, and other rental location. Groceries and restaurants along Route 40, and I am sure there is dance studio.

I know there are many African-American families as well as Asians and whites in Ellicott City. However, if you are looking for dates or socializing, you might look closer to Baltimore.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:16 AM

382 posts, read 1,205,719 times
Are you going to be looking at apartments or houses? Where is the job? From your post, it sounds like you might not want to be in a "family" area. The northern part of the county is very family-oriented. The historic EC area is nice, but you don't need to live near it to enjoy it. It's full of antique stores and a couple of bars/restaurants that do draw some college students and young professionals at night, but it's not a big hang-out area. Asians are the largest minority in the EC area and there are a lot of Asian restaurants/businesses along the Rt 40 corridor, just like in Northern Va. If you are in the cafes' and frozen yogurt places on Rt. 40, you will see many Asians. Whether or not someone of another race would feel uncomfortable - that's up to the individual. Is EC the best place for your job? Maple Lawn, which is a very nice, newer community just south of Columbia, has more diversity than EC. It feeds into Reservoir HS.

As for schools, all the high schools in the EC area are good, including Centennial, Hebron, Howard, Marriotts Ridge. And you're going to be close to all the amenities in just about any place in the county. No problem there. If you want schools with a larger African American minority, check out the school profiles on the HCPSS website.

http://www.hcpss.org/f/schools/profiles/prof_hs_all.pdf

Old 02-16-2015, 11:08 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,287 times
The demographics vary at the various Ellicott City schools; that information can be found at GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community. There are so many fantastic schools and areas in this area that meet your requirements. I live in the Mt. Hebron high school district of Ellicott City; the various high schools have all had their "popular" moments. If Howard County is on your radar, look into the Columbia area as well. Fortunately, you have a lot of good choices here!

Old 02-17-2015, 06:54 AM

Thanks for your insight and the link to Great Schools.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:01 AM

Thanks for your reply. Will be looking for houses/townhouses -- likely not going to buy immediately (but still on the fence about that). The job is actually in Owings Mills. Yes, I've heard great things about Maple Lawn.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:54 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,618,310 times
Maple Lawn is a fantastic place, but it's a bit of a trek from there to Owings Mills. If you definitely want Howard County (as opposed to someplace closer in Baltimore County, such as Owings Mills itself or Randallstown), I would look in the northern part of the county -- such as Ellicott City, as in fact you are considering. Unfortunately, your commute options from this area would be either using two-lane back roads (Marriottsville Road or maybe Old Court Road) or using I-70 east to I-695 north to I-795 north. Neither is all that appealing, though they're not too terrible either.

As I believed was mentioned earlier, the Howard County Public School System's website (HCPSS) lists demographic information for all of their schools individually. You may find this to be a useful reference, particularly if you want to find a school with a higher than average African-American population. (You may wish to include Columbia in your search as an area that I believe would meet your needs.)

Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 PM

Thank you so much bus_man. I considered Baltimore County, but heard the schools were not that good unless I was going to consider private schools. I will give a look to Columbia as well. Thank you so much for your input everyone!

Old 02-20-2015, 05:10 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,287 times
Catonsville is also an area I'd recommend you look. Check out the reviews of Catonsville High School on Greatschools and see if that is something that would work for your family. A lot of these recommendations will end up depending on your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland