U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:56 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times

Advertisements

How do you all feel about this? Personally, I think it is a bad idea seeing as how Flacco, despite having an excellent post-season record, is only a so-so quatrerback during the regular season. And now he is the highest paid quarterback in the NFL which in my opinion is something that he is still a long way from deserving. I mean, Flacco has yet to voted into the Pro Bowl and the Ravens are primarily a defensive team and their offense is largely running.

To top it off, Flacco didn't sign last year because he thought he was worth more than what the Ravens were offering at the time. I guess he proved that with a Super Bowl trip and win, but, I don't think they will have that good of a season for some time.

Professional sports teams make the bulk of their money from selling officially licensed merchandise. I cannot see too many people around the country buying Ravens gear, now or in the future. They do not have a dynasty-style legacy that other teams have, and probably never will (I could be wrong). NFL teams also make their money from ticket sales. Pricing has already went up, which is to be expected after a Super Bowl win. The Ravens have too small of a market to really sustain a $120M quarterback and high(er) ticket prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 05:26 PM

4,558 posts, read 7,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
How do you all feel about this? Personally, I think it is a bad idea seeing as how Flacco, despite having an excellent post-season record, is only a so-so quatrerback during the regular season. And now he is the highest paid quarterback in the NFL which in my opinion is something that he is still a long way from deserving. I mean, Flacco has yet to voted into the Pro Bowl and the Ravens are primarily a defensive team and their offense is largely running.

To top it off, Flacco didn't sign last year because he thought he was worth more than what the Ravens were offering at the time. I guess he proved that with a Super Bowl trip and win, but, I don't think they will have that good of a season for some time.

Professional sports teams make the bulk of their money from selling officially licensed merchandise. I cannot see too many people around the country buying Ravens gear, now or in the future. They do not have a dynasty-style legacy that other teams have, and probably never will (I could be wrong). NFL teams also make their money from ticket sales. Pricing has already went up, which is to be expected after a Super Bowl win. The Ravens have too small of a market to really sustain a $120M quarterback and high(er) ticket prices.
In the past this was true. This year it wasn't. Ray Rice barely broke 1,000 yards rushing. The defense was ranked in the 20s or low teens all season. Credit the entire team for the success, but Flacco was the straw that stirred the drink this year, especially in the playoffs.

The bottom line is that if the Raven's didn't pay him, another team gladly would have. You are nothing in the NFL today without a QB. Flacco has proven his worth, not by regular season statistics, but with wins. What you saw in the postseason wasn't a fluke, it was what Flacco has done in big games for most of his career. He was unleashed from the Cam Cameron offense and blossomed in the post season against top rate competition by putting up near record numbers.

If you look, his contract only counts for 7 million against the cap this year, that's a good number. In the future, he either earns his money which means Superbowls for the Ravens, or he underachieves and has to renegotiate the contract or gets cut. There is more positive here than negative. I am happy Joe Flacco is the QB of my football team.

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-04-2013 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-04-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

You need to look into how the league shares revenue and how the salary cap is determined. The NFL, more than any other pro league, is set up to make sure the small markets can thrive. Think, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Green Bay. The size of the market has nothing to do with players' salaries. The name of the game is really attracting/keeping the best players you can and using the money you are allowed to use to maximize your roster.

Again, the total size of Flacco's contract may be absurd, but no NFL player has ever earned all of a 100 million dollar contract (Favre came the closest with 55 million.) Nearly all these big contracts are restructered every few years to make sure the salary cap hit is kept to a minimum.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:55 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,771,500 times
More power to him. He took somewhat of a chance in not agreeing to a contract at the beginning of the year and the team took the same chance. What else are you going to do after he wins 'The Big One'

Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 PM

22 posts, read 28,711 times
Flacco owes that DB with the Broncos half of his contract!! If the Ravens lose that game, you are looking at "only" a $10M/yr max contract.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az2fla View Post
Flacco owes that DB with the Broncos half of his contract!! If the Ravens lose that game, you are looking at "only" a $10M/yr max contract.
At minimum the young man should be on Flacco's Christmas card list.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,947,952 times
The Ravens clearly overpaid him. Even though he won a Superbowl ring, he is still not worth that much money when you look at his overall production.

Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 8,377 times
Knee jerk reaction to his big win. If you remember john Unitas, paying flacco this kind of money is absurd! Up until the post season he's always been a ho hummer.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,771,500 times
Paying anyone what they pay first string QBs is absurd. But he took them all the way so it was his turn to be on top. He won't get the whole amount. I think I saw a report that none of the players that sign the huge contracts do. The big number is based on a lot of incentives, etc. I think I saw the guaranteed amount is something like 55 Million

Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Paying anyone what they pay first string QBs is absurd. But he took them all the way so it was his turn to be on top. He won't get the whole amount. I think I saw a report that none of the players that sign the huge contracts do. The big number is based on a lot of incentives, etc. I think I saw the guaranteed amount is something like 55 Million
Correct. Flacco's contract includes big bonuses the next two years and "modest" salary cap numbers. When the big cap hit comes, it is almost certain he will renegotiate the contract, to get another chunk of upfront/guaranteed money to open up salary cap space. This is how the contract game is played. The big numbers look impressive (and they are) but the contracts are always being tweaked as they go, think Brady's recent extension.

Lastly, I know Flacco's regular season numbers don't win fantasy football games, but they do win the real games. Flacco's W/L totals are in the upper eschalon of QBs since he came into the league. He already owns the all-time QB record for road playoff wins in just 5 seasons. The fact that he doesn't have super-inflated stats speak more to his team's philosophy - let's not throw 50 passes within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage a game, than his skill set. When he needed to put up great numbers to win games, he has. I will take wins over interupting games so Drew Brees can celebrate breaking another regular season record on a .500 football team anyday.

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-05-2013 at 09:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland