U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 PM

8 posts, read 26,520 times

Advertisements

i've lived in KC since 2009, and we've only had the power go out twice, both times for half hour. and the power outage was not weather related.
i too have only heard average reviews of hammond high; it's not bad and not great. the kids there tend to go to the village center after school, and i've not witnessed any rudeness or fighting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 04:38 PM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times
Not all areas of Kings Contrivance lose power, but a large portion does and that is part of the frustration. I do not know how or why we are on different grids, but it must be the case.

I live southwest of Hammond High/Village Center. I'm telling you, we loose power-and usually for 4-5 days at a time. A friend of mine lives on the eastern side of Hammond....never seems to lose power.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:13 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,146,946 times
Nice neighborhoods. Great schools. If KC or Columbia or Laurel/Fulton is in your price range, my opinion is that you can't go wrong living in this area.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:55 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,594,326 times
Thank you! House hunting trip end of May... We've narrowed it down to KC area, and Ellicott City (Mt. Hebron HS area). Fingers crossed!

Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 PM

7 posts, read 9,235 times
I will jump in and say that you can get more for your money in the surrounding areas of Columbia such as Elkridge and Ellicott City. Prices are rising and all of Howard County remains competitive for purchases. I have dogs and of course you know that Howard County has so many dog parks and is pet friendly. There is a great dog park in the Ellicott City area sponsored by the county. Its right off of rt104. The center of Columbia such as the Long Reach area has single family homes in your price range. Another area within range is Laurel Howard County...this part is still zoned to Hammond High. You can really get a great home in the $450ks. Im happy to discuss this in more detail and review other neighborhoods.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:33 AM

We are currently building a house in Fulton/Laurel, Howard County (south of Columbia a few miles). Hammond Elementary, Hammond Middle, and Reservoir High are the schools in our district. Each of them rate 9 out of 10 stars on GreatSchools.com and other school ratings websites. I can't speak to Baltimore suburbs like Ellicott City, but for DC-area suburbs like Fulton/Laurel, we are quite happy with the area in general, and the schools in particular. As a side note, I'm especially happy that my nearest neighbors are no less than 100 yards from me on either side. (Yes, that kind of property is still available here!)

Old 04-09-2013, 09:24 AM

Aero, is this a subdivision? Can you tell me what its called, who is the builder and the price range?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
Aero, is this a subdivision? Can you tell me what its called, who is the builder and the price range?
My house is not in a subdivision....we bought some land to build on. However, there are quite a few small new subdivisions with half-acre lots being developed in the Laurel/Fulton, Howard County Area.

Look up:

Beazer Homes: Cherry Tree View
Cornerstone Homes: Rocky Gorge Overlook
Dorsey Family Homes: Check website....several new subdivisions
Williamsburg Homes: Watkins Choice

In the Columbia/Ellicott area, I know of a small builder who builds nice, affordable houses. Check out:

Burkhard Homes

And as much as I hate to point you this direction....look at Maple Lawn....a master planned community with integrated retail and a mix of townhomes and single-families. (This might be your thing....certainly no ours. Nevertheless, a nice community.)

All of these would be low-$500's to mid-$600's homes. Maple Lawn community and Burkhard Homes may be somewhere in the low-to-mid-$400's range.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 04-09-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the advice. We're in Colorado now, in a master planned community, living in a fishbowl in a large house with our neighbors on top of us. It is my idea of torture honestly, lol. Right now I'm really into the older ranch homes in Ellicott City on 1/2 acre lots. I will take a smaller home (our price max is $450K) to get some breathing room from neighbors. But when I'm in town, I'll visit your suggestions if nothing else to rule it out. Thank you.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:10 PM

631 posts, read 1,038,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
My house is not in a subdivision....we bought some land to build on. However, there are quite a few small new subdivisions with half-acre lots being developed in the Laurel/Fulton, Howard County Area.

Look up:

Beazer Homes: Cherry Tree View
Cornerstone Homes: Rocky Gorge Overlook
Dorsey Family Homes: Check website....several new subdivisions
Williamsburg Homes: Watkins Choice

In the Columbia/Ellicott area, I know of a small builder who builds nice, affordable houses. Check out:

Burkhard Homes

And as much as I hate to point you this direction....look at Maple Lawn....a master planned community with integrated retail and a mix of townhomes and single-families. (This might be your thing....certainly no ours. Nevertheless, a nice community.)

All of these would be low-$500's to mid-$600's homes. Maple Lawn community and Burkhard Homes may be somewhere in the low-to-mid-$400's range.

Hope this helps!
Maple Lawn is a great area. I actually looked at a Townhome there with Bozzuto. However, the price mixed with property taxes will just rape me financially.

But what is your reason to hate Maple Lawn? Not being funny, just curious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or