U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 AM

4,990 posts, read 8,072,491 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for anyone else, but this thread is a parody of sorts. There isn't going to be any secession of Maryland Counties, we are simply juristictional conveniences of the State. I can't give other counties their tax money back, anymore than you guys can change Maryland regulation. It is a "venting" type discussion from those of us that have nothing left except satire to express our frustration.

Sad for us, but true. All I hope is that we get a more moderate, less jerk-off Governor next time around, but I am not holding my breath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 11:41 AM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Glad you like the mountains and want to keep them. Are you willing to work with the people that live in the mountains to help us regain population and the prosperity we once had?
I am all for the prosperity of Maryland, of course. But I think Tom's views are rather misguided. The United States as a whole has moved away from being a predominantly manufacturing economy to a service economy. That's why the rust belt has unfortunately faced so much decline. A city like Pittsburgh has had to reinvent itself in order to survive and be relevant in this new economy. How are we going to return to that previous economy at any time in the foreseeable future? I don't see that happening.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I am all for the prosperity of Maryland, of course. But I think Tom's views are rather misguided. The United States as a whole has moved away from being a predominantly manufacturing economy to a service economy. That's why the rust belt has unfortunately faced so much decline. A city like Pittsburgh has had to reinvent itself in order to survive and be relevant in this new economy. How are we going to return to that previous economy at any time in the foreseeable future? I don't see that happening.
Tom doesn't speak for Western Maryland, although I appreciate any support we get. There aren't many of us out here who still think that the return to manufacturing glory is our future. That being said, some of our largest remaining employers are the NewPage papermill and coal mining. Both are on shaky ground. Because of the state's strict enviro regs, the coal industry is only viable because of a state tax credit........O'Malley attempts to get rid of this credit, and thus kill the industry every year.

The papermill is facing bigger issues with Chinese imports, but still MD enviro regs could put it under quite easily if tweaked even a little bit. Gas drilling is another source of potential wealth for us. Aside from industry, the new septic/PlanMaryland laws made any kind of modest scale residential development impossible in the part of our region that is closest to the jobs you guys enjoy.

So, I am not anti-enviro. I don't mind some regulations on coal mining, but the compromise is the tax credit. I don't mind taking a cautious approach to fracking, but I don't trust the moritorium is simply a prohibition that hasn't been made formal yet. I think we should protect our forest, but when my county (Allegany) is about 75% wooded, you can see why we find it non-sensical to say that residential growth shouldn't take place in our non-urban areas. We have plenty of forest! We can replace 2-3% of it with housing easily without causing mass extiction or altering the overall "feel" of our home.

So, we have bigger issues than just being part of the State of Maryland. But one would think that a state that prides itself on being "liberal" would work hard to help its poorest residents, which includes us, rather than working against us.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Tom doesn't speak for Western Maryland, although I appreciate any support we get. There aren't many of us out here that still think that the return to manufacturing glory is our future. That being said, some of our largest remaining employers are the NewPage papermill and coal mining. Both are on shaky ground. Because of the state's strict enviro regs, the coal industry is only viable because of a state tax credit........O'Malley attempts to get rid of this credit, and thus kill the industry, every year.

The papermill is facing bigger issues with Chinese imports, but still MD enviro regs could put it under quite easily if tweaked even a little bit. Gas drilling is another source of potential wealth for us. Aside from industry, the new septic/PlanMaryland laws made any kind of modest scale residential development impossible in the part of our region that is closest to the jobs you guys enjoy.

So, I am not anti-enviro. I don't mind some regulations on coal mining, but the compromise is the tax credit. I don't mind taking a cautious approach to fracking, but I don't trust that the moritorium isn't simply a prohibition that hasn't been made formal yet. I think we should protect our forest, but when my county (Allegany) is about 75% wooded, you can see why many of us find it non-sensical to say that residential growth shouldn't take place in our non-urban areas. We have plenty of forest! We can replace 2-3% of it with housing easily without causing mass extiction or altering the overall "feel" of our home.

So, we have bigger issues than just being part of the State of Maryland. But one would think that a state that prides itself on being "liberal" would work hard to help its poorest residents, which includes us, rather than working against us.

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-21-2013 at 02:02 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 AM

7,822 posts, read 12,328,370 times
Some of the liberals in the Baltimore Sun and in the Washington area like to point out Route 50 on the Eastern Shore and Interstate 68 as examples that rural areas are not always overlooked and sometimes get their tax money back vs all being diverted to Montgomery County and Baltimore City. However I-68 is in the interstate system so was built with federal funds. Route 50 was built with state money since its a US Highway, but it was built mainly for the convenience of wealthy Western Shore residents going to Ocean City and not to benefit local communities.

It doesnt make much sense to me why taxes in Ridgeley, WV and Delmar, Delaware are significantly higher than a few blocks away in Cumberland and Salisbury just because Moco and Bmore City have all these transit needs and generous social programs that Charleston, Morgantown, Dover, and Wilmington don't.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 AM

6,473 posts, read 11,102,417 times
U.S. Highways. U.S. is the abbreviation for United States. So they got no federal money? *crickets*

These were there original federal roads and were constructed with federal dollars. And honestly, there are very few highways (interstate, U.S. or State) that are constructed without federal dollars. You are once again, remarkably misinformed and unswayed by facts.

Why the heck do you think people on the eastern shore want or need an interstate? Is there an overwhelming amount of traffic congestion there? No. Is there expected to be a ton of growth? No.

*blocks Tom Lennox permanently, adds 10 years to life*

Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,128,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Some of the liberals
US routes is a federal highway that existed before Interstate highways. Interstate highways replaced U.S. highways.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 AM

544 posts, read 886,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
sometimes get their tax money back vs all being diverted to Montgomery County and Baltimore City.
The fact that you think the Eastern shore supports Montgomery County is hilarious. Other way, bud.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:48 AM

With Cumberland, the negative effects of Maryland's government policies backed by the liberal elite is especially noticeable. Nearby cities in West Virginia like Morgantown and Fairmont seem to be doing better than Cumberland. Charleston is also doing better than Cumberland. Maybe they need to start natural gas drilling in Western Maryland and allow more population growth there.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
The fact that you think the Eastern shore supports Montgomery County is hilarious. Other way, bud.
Why does the Eastern Shore and Western Maryland see a tax hike every time Montgomery County and Baltimore City need mass transit expansions? And that 1 billion dollar schools package to Baltimore City? Who pays for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or