U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-26-2013, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,185 posts, read 21,745,007 times
Reputation: 6116

Advertisements

It does not make financial sense for someone to travel from anywhere in Maryland except Western Maryland to West Virginia just to enjoy some tax free shopping. For me, coming from HoCo, I would spend more in gas just to get there and back unless I were to buy hundreds of dollars worth of goods.

Here is another thought: ya'll are talking about a lack of business and tax revenue in Western Maryland, yet, are completely by-passing the area altogether to save a few bucks on beer and cigs and whatever. You might think you are giving O'Malley the middle finger by shopping in West Virginia, and perhaps you are. But you are also slapping the locals in the face. Perhaps if people actually supported business in Western Maryland, amends could be made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
 
Location: MD suburbs of DC
607 posts, read 1,036,028 times
Reputation: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaryland455 View Post
Well Said!!!! but Reality is the Strongest counties in term of Economic Growth:

1.Montgomery
2.Howard
3.Anne Arundel
4.Frederick
5.Prince Georges
6.St.Mary
7.Baltimore county
While I agree with your statement, Baltimore still does have a very strong presence in Maryland. I'd put it right under HoCo.

I don't think anyone really cares that much about Harford County, to be honest. They seem to self-identify more with Delaware and Pennsylvania anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,561 posts, read 7,621,816 times
Reputation: 2770
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
It does not make financial sense for someone to travel from anywhere in Maryland except Western Maryland to West Virginia just to enjoy some tax free shopping. For me, coming from HoCo, I would spend more in gas just to get there and back unless I were to buy hundreds of dollars worth of goods.

Here is another thought: ya'll are talking about a lack of business and tax revenue in Western Maryland, yet, are completely by-passing the area altogether to save a few bucks on beer and cigs and whatever. You might think you are giving O'Malley the middle finger by shopping in West Virginia, and perhaps you are. But you are also slapping the locals in the face. Perhaps if people actually supported business in Western Maryland, amends could be made.
Take our beatings with a smile you say?

Easier said than done. Should a Western Maryland resident that makes 20-30k a year pay higher regressive taxes to keep local businesses operational? Or should they drive a extra couple of miles to save money they can use for other needs? There is no easy answer to this question. Our area loses in either circumstance..........while the state clearly "wins" when people just bend over and pay the extra tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,546 posts, read 11,621,205 times
Reputation: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
It does not make financial sense for someone to travel from anywhere in Maryland except Western Maryland to West Virginia just to enjoy some tax free shopping. For me, coming from HoCo, I would spend more in gas just to get there and back unless I were to buy hundreds of dollars worth of goods.

Here is another thought: ya'll are talking about a lack of business and tax revenue in Western Maryland, yet, are completely by-passing the area altogether to save a few bucks on beer and cigs and whatever. You might think you are giving O'Malley the middle finger by shopping in West Virginia, and perhaps you are. But you are also slapping the locals in the face. Perhaps if people actually supported business in Western Maryland, amends could be made.
Yes I live in Baltimore County and would not travel out of state JUST for shopping. But if I happen to be in Virginia or West Virginia for other reasons like vacation, visiting family/friends, business, etc I WOULD stock up on a lot of things like beer ,cigarettes, and other consumer items like clothes, perishable goods, household supplies etc in a state with a lower sales tax. I know people who go on vacation in Ocean City and drive an extra few blocks to Delaware and buy LOTS of alcohol and cigarettes and bring back into Maryland.

If O'Malley wants a more business friendly Maryland, he needs to raise taxes and repeal PlanMaryland, and allow natural gas drilling and lift all the environmental regulations on steelmaking, fishing, and farming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,099,666 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
Morgantown is home to a large taxpayer funded state university. I dont think you can compare it to Cumberland.
Actually no.

Charleston doesnt fund WVU. WVU gets less than 20% of its funding from taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 04:54 PM
 
6,349 posts, read 8,099,666 times
Reputation: 1758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
With Cumberland, the negative effects of Maryland's government policies backed by the liberal elite is especially noticeable. Nearby cities in West Virginia like Morgantown and Fairmont seem to be doing better than Cumberland. Charleston is also doing better than Cumberland. Maybe they need to start natural gas drilling in Western Maryland and allow more population growth there.
Charleston is only doing well because it is the state capital, and it lost half its population over the decade. Only recently have they been able to basically stop the loss and become stagnate and that is due from tax revenue from Northern WV, around Morgantown, and the Eastern Panhandle, near DC.

You cant compare Cumberland to Charleston. Compare Annapolis to Charleston, and trust me Annapolis is doing much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-28-2013, 01:29 AM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,546 posts, read 11,621,205 times
Reputation: 3962
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Charleston is only doing well because it is the state capital, and it lost half its population over the decade. Only recently have they been able to basically stop the loss and become stagnate and that is due from tax revenue from Northern WV, around Morgantown, and the Eastern Panhandle, near DC.

You cant compare Cumberland to Charleston. Compare Annapolis to Charleston, and trust me Annapolis is doing much better.
Charleston is still a center for the coal mining industry, and while I've not seen it myself, I've met some locals who say there are coal mines right outside of town. Charleston also has a number of colleges and universities. I don't think the West Virginia state government is as bloated as Maryland's and employs as many people. Having said this, I did notice that the towns toward the north like Buckhannon, Weston, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Morgantown were doing better especially with the high-tech corridor around Fairmont. But I don't think the differences between urban-rural are as great as in Maryland....if you look at the wide gap in culture, mentality, politics and lifestyle between Montgomery County vs Western Maryland or the Eastern Shore. Or even between Montgomery County and the Baltimore suburbs, especially the eastern Baltimore suburbs.

In any case Cumberland can be better now if it can become the center of a regional gas industry and we know there IS natural gas in Western Maryland. Developing that can also help the rest of Maryland such as expanding operations at the LNG facility at Cove Point in Calvert County and possibly adding LNG operations to the former Sparrows Point industrial site in Baltimore County which was shut down due to O'Malley's regulations.

I do have to say that the Democrats from the Eastern Panhandle of WV are more of the O'Malley, Montgomery COunty type Democrats while the Democrats in the rest of WV are more like the classic blue collar union Democrats. Unfortuantely the national Party is more dominated by the yuppie type Democrats and the urban/illegal alien types now.

Oh yes Annapolis is doing well because of the bloatedness of the Maryland state government, paid for by people working for the overtaxed and overregulated private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2013, 02:47 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,546 posts, read 11,621,205 times
Reputation: 3962
Senate votes on gas tax increase - baltimoresun.com

So here is the list of the corrupt traitors who voted to increase the gas tax. With 3 exceptions (Zirkin from Baltimore County, Young from Frederick County and Robey from Howard all of which will hear from me).......ALL the rest were from Montgomery County, PG County and Baltimore City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2013, 04:09 PM
 
544 posts, read 854,974 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Senate votes on gas tax increase - baltimoresun.com

So here is the list of the corrupt traitors who voted to increase the gas tax. With 3 exceptions (Zirkin from Baltimore County, Young from Frederick County and Robey from Howard all of which will hear from me).......ALL the rest were from Montgomery County, PG County and Baltimore City.
Did you even bother to read the list?

Robey, James N. (D) Howard
Young, Ronald N. (D) Frederick
Zirkin, Robert A. (D) Baltimore Co
Kasemeyer, Edward J. (D) Howard
Miller, Thomas V. Mike (D) Calvert
Middleton, Thomas M. (D) Charles

You've got some good Fox News-style reporting going on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2013, 04:26 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,112 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Reputation: 40552
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Did you even bother to read the list?

Robey, James N. (D) Howard
Young, Ronald N. (D) Frederick
Zirkin, Robert A. (D) Baltimore Co
Kasemeyer, Edward J. (D) Howard
Miller, Thomas V. Mike (D) Calvert
Middleton, Thomas M. (D) Charles

You've got some good Fox News-style reporting going on there.
The majority of Sen. Thomas V. "Mike" Miller's district is still located in Prince George's. He lives in Calvert County now and uses that designation to fool the people down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top