U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:25 PM

7,825 posts, read 12,333,377 times

Advertisements

I wonder if the rest of us can actually team up and secede from the Democrat jurisdictions. Maybe Western Maryland, the Eastern Shore, Harford, and Cecil can together secede, maybe even Baltimore County as well. That would leave Montgomery, PG, Howard and Baltimore City. Then all the new taxes and the nanny state regulations like the septic tank ban and the fracking ban will be gone.

And westside I must beg to differ to you on John Delaney. The majority of his constituents are from urban, liberal Montgomery County so their concerns will be more important to them. They are dominated by government jobs so do you recognize the importance of a private sector economy and thus support many business unfriendly policies like increasing the minimum wage and more restrictions and regulations. They will NOT be friendly toward coal mining and natural gas drilling and will support money going to mass transit instead of highways. Montgomery County and Western Maryland are polar opposites with absolutely nothing in common economically, politically or socially. Their interests are polar opposites. And Western Maryland will also be outvoted in his district in terms of social issues like the death penalty, gay marriage, abortion, and Obamacare. Like Obamacare may not matter to Montgomery County voters it won't hurt them they already have these comfy government jobs, they don't have to worry about the devastating effect it will have on the private sector which is more important in Western Maryland. They will not care that workers will see their hours cut, that companies will be forced to lay off people and shut down operations in order to afford Obamacare. And the gas tax and the proposals to raise the minimum wage is devastating to rural Maryland when y'all have to compete with West Virginia and Virginia which have lower taxes.

Despite what urban liberals say, the roads here in West Virginia are perfectly fine, and we pay for it ourselves, we don't even get all our gas tax back on the federal level as much is it is used to fund mass transit in New York City and Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Charleston is only doing well because it is the state capital, and it lost half its population over the decade. Only recently have they been able to basically stop the loss and become stagnate and that is due from tax revenue from Northern WV, around Morgantown, and the Eastern Panhandle, near DC.

You cant compare Cumberland to Charleston. Compare Annapolis to Charleston, and trust me Annapolis is doing much better.
The state government doesn't have much of an impact in Annapolis and lots of state offices are elsewhere like Glen Burnie. In fact so many agencies are actually based in downtown Baltimore, the state legislature meets in Annapolis that's about it. Charleston has a diversified economy including a large chemical manufacturing industry in the Kanawha Valley and there is a lot of coal mining in the surrounding communities so the coal industry is important too, plus some financial services. The WV state government is not as bloated as Maryland's. Cumberland feels like a very run down city whose prosperity is eluding it, being held back by liberal policies from the central government run by DC area liberal Democrats. High density development certainly does not make sense in Cumberland or anywhere in Western Maryland. They are trying to build TOWNHOUSES in downtown Cumberland I saw some I was there that is ridiculous. Nobody moves to a rural area to live in a townhouse. That completely destroys the existing character of the area when you build these generic mass density places that look like they belong in Rockville or Columbia.

Cumberland and Frostburg, just like WV will never be transit-oriented its never been that way and these places are not built to have a high density. That is the definition of rural. People in Western Maryland and the Eastern Shore don't tell Montgomery County they can't have high density, but urban liberals push PlanMaryland on the entire state. Just like rural folks don't tell cities they can't have gun laws, but cities push gun laws statewide even though there is no gun violence in rural areas.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:37 PM

4,990 posts, read 8,075,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I wonder if the rest of us can actually team up and secede from the Democrat jurisdictions. Maybe Western Maryland, the Eastern Shore, Harford, and Cecil can together secede, maybe even Baltimore County as well. That would leave Montgomery, PG, Howard and Baltimore City. Then all the new taxes and the nanny state regulations like the septic tank ban and the fracking ban will be gone.

And westside I must beg to differ to you on John Delaney. The majority of his constituents are from urban, liberal Montgomery County so their concerns will be more important to them. They are dominated by government jobs so do you recognize the importance of a private sector economy and thus support many business unfriendly policies like increasing the minimum wage and more restrictions and regulations. They will NOT be friendly toward coal mining and natural gas drilling and will support money going to mass transit instead of highways. Montgomery County and Western Maryland are polar opposites with absolutely nothing in common economically, politically or socially. Their interests are polar opposites. And Western Maryland will also be outvoted in his district in terms of social issues like the death penalty, gay marriage, abortion, and Obamacare. Like Obamacare may not matter to Montgomery County voters it won't hurt them they already have these comfy government jobs, they don't have to worry about the devastating effect it will have on the private sector which is more important in Western Maryland. They will not care that workers will see their hours cut, that companies will be forced to lay off people and shut down operations in order to afford Obamacare. And the gas tax and the proposals to raise the minimum wage is devastating to rural Maryland when y'all have to compete with West Virginia and Virginia which have lower taxes.

Despite what urban liberals say, the roads here in West Virginia are perfectly fine, and we pay for it ourselves, we don't even get all our gas tax back on the federal level as much is it is used to fund mass transit in New York City and Chicago.
Time will tell on Mr. Delaney. I read today he is in favor of a minimum wage increase.....which would hurt Western Maryland. Many of the few larger employers we do have come out this way because the COL is less, and thus companies can save money on wages. We have several call centers in Allegany County for this reason. I am not going to give up on him until he has a voting history to dissect though. He is a freshman and deserves that much.

I have to disagree about WV roads. They are very poor compared to other states, even PA Shoulders are rare, even on winding roads. This gives drivers virtually no margin of error. Worse yet, instead of a shoulder, many roads in the parts of WV around Cumberland have a 3 foot ditch. Rt. 28 comes to mind, it is a very dangerous road. I will add the WV roads from Cumberland to Winchester are horrible. No medians, very steep banks, no guardrails or shoulders. I choose to add about 30 minutes onto the trip by going to Hancock, then down Rt. 522. It is much safer. So, yeah taxes are too high, but I don't mind paying a bit more if the money means better roads through very rough Appalachian terrain.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 PM

I guess I don't notice the difference in roads here in the Charleston area, I actually now live in a rural area outside of the city. Buckhannon and Weston and Fairmont's roads weren't bad either, certainly MUCH better than Baltimore City's. The freeways are also maintained better here than Interstate 695 at least the portions between White Marsh and the Key Bridge. The best you can do is call Mr. Delaney's office and remind him that Western Maryland still matters. I just fear that your voices will be drowned out by those in Montgomery County who have no idea how the private sector works and are blindly liberal in all the issues. The minimum wage is one area where liberal policies out of Montgomery County and Baltimore City truly will hurt the rest of the state. Here in West Virginia nobody at the fast food restaurants or Walmarts here are striking for higher wages they appreciate having a job.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 PM

324 posts, read 379,076 times
lets be real. DC should be combined with montgomery county, PG county, fairfax, arlington, and alexandria. it should be the 52nd state

all of those jurisdictions have NOTHING in common with the rest of MD or VA

Old 09-18-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
lets be real. DC should be combined with montgomery county, PG county, fairfax, arlington, and alexandria. it should be the 52nd state

What should be the 51st?

Old 09-18-2013, 05:21 PM

324 posts, read 379,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
What should be the 51st?
canada

Old 09-19-2013, 11:44 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,129,123 times
Quote:

That can be said about any state. Should every state split in half just because one region did not get their way?

Old 09-19-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
That can be said about any state. Should every state split in half just because one region did not get their way?
I think governing in a way that respects regional diversity, minority rights, and understands that sovereignty ultimately resides with the people, not the jurisdiction, is a better solution.

It seems we have gotten away from that, in Maryland at least, and that is why people are proposing rather radical solutions to the problem. I know personally that much of my frustration comes from the fact that I am not sure MOM is governing to make Maryland a better place, or to give himself a better chance in the 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary. He seems to be building his progressive resume at the cost of limiting the potential prosperity of many areas of the state he was elected to govern, and that ain't cool.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:18 PM

631 posts, read 1,099,630 times
Quote:

I rather pay MD Taxes and not DC taxes. At least I get representation for my taxes.

Quote:
canada
I really hope you are kidding..... A country become a state??? really???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
If that is the case, once a county doesnt get their way and cries about it, they should just secede. Next thing you know We will have all these "states" or like other countries. the American Flag will have like 100 stars on them.

Every state has parts where one area is different from another area. Look at Pennsylvania. The Philly metro area doesnt compare to the Pittsburgh Metro area, 2 different jurisdictions, 2 different lifestyles but it works for them...

In NJ Southern (Camden, Trenton, Atlantic City) has a more Philly scope vs Northern (Jersey City, Newark, Elizabeth, The Oranges) which has a NYC scope

In VA, the Hampton Roads Metro is different from Richmond Metro is different from DC (VA) Metro...

In GA.... ATL Metro is different from Savannah Metro

In TX.... Houston vs. Dallas vs. El Paso vs San Antonio

In NY.. NYC is way different than Buffalo Metro, Syracuse Metro, Albany Metro..

In MD, what works for Bmore Metro is different from DC (MD) Metro which is different from Cumberland Metro which is different from Salisbury Metro.

If this was the case Pittsburgh and Western PA would secede from Philly and Eastern PA, NJ would split, NY would become 4 states in itself..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or