U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 PM

32,112 posts, read 39,184,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Well being that I was in college and wasnt registered to vote until 2004, I never paid much attention. i was just mad b/c my tuition AND fees kept increasing yet my Financial Aid was staying the same, or decreasing. Because Erlich claimed slots would generate "revenue" so he increased tuition instead.

It wasnt until I voted in the 2012 election, I actually voted NO against the Slots, especially with National Harbor as I live in PG. I would wished that I voted No in 08 for AA County as BW Parkway is a straight *#$%
What did you think happens when costs go up? Usually prices do, too. Your financial aid had a lot of components, not just from MD.

As a note, I had 2 kids in MD colleges (UMDCP and Towson) at about the same time so I am fully aware of tuition increases at that time. Neither of them qualified for either financial aid or scholarships. Don't get me started on the scholarship part because I will end up hurting your feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 05:35 PM

631 posts, read 1,039,010 times
Well the most of my Financial aid was in the form of STATE scholarships.... not Federal....and Erlich raised tuition purposely...but kept state funded Aid and scholarships stagnant so that was hard on students and families to attend college.....and its an internet message board... you wont hurt my feelings so that was just pure unneeded.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:25 PM

Well yeah, when you have to raise prices it's on usually on purpose.

Think of some of this as a pie. You and I can share the pie but you invite WestsideBoy. Now each of our pieces is smaller. Then I invite Tom Lennox (even though he doesn't like pie) and each piece is smaller still. That's what's happening with scholarship money, among most other State (and Federal) programs. There are more "people at the table" but the pie is still the same size.

As far as hurting your feelings, yeah, I would.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 PM

Money can be put into State Aid to fund scholarships. Its sad when parents and other children are looking at OOS schools because the price is the same or cheaper than some MD schools.

Nope feelings arent hurt.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Money can be put into State Aid to fund scholarships. Its sad when parents and other children are looking at OOS schools because the price is the same or cheaper than some MD schools.

Nope feelings arent hurt.
Where's the money going to come from? Add to one, take away from another. That's why the Highway Trust Fund is in such shape. And Project Open Space.

Adding tuition aid isn't going to impact tuition costs directly.

MD state schools have always been overpriced/more expensive in comparison to state schools in the surrounding area. The trend of MD students going out of state isn't new, it's been an issue for at least 20 years. Some leave for financial reasons, others because MD schools are crappy compared to those in PA, VA and NY.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:33 PM

I wouldnt say crappy... MD has good schools also..... Salisbury is natinally ranked in US world and News and Petersons all the time... UMD Eastern Shore, Bowie, and Morgan State are ranked in the US World and News HBCUs. You cant forget about UMD, Towson, and UMBC. They are no George Mason and VCU, and Pitt, but they are still good schools.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:32 AM

544 posts, read 854,974 times
Quote:
I wouldnt say crappy... MD has good schools also..... Salisbury is natinally ranked in US world and News and Petersons all the time... UMD Eastern Shore, Bowie, and Morgan State are ranked in the US World and News HBCUs. You cant forget about UMD, Towson, and UMBC. They are no George Mason and VCU, and Pitt, but they are still good schools.
Yikes, if that's what you consider good schools, well...ok then.

Old 10-11-2013, 11:55 AM

3,286 posts, read 4,604,065 times
On the following link, click on the second "older article" labeled "Why Baltimore is not Detroit", Sept 27, 2013:

My Maryland by Blair Lee -- Gazette.Net .

It explains how just about all of Baltimore City's services are paid out of general State revenue: the city School system, city Jail, the Orioles and Ravens stadiums, the City Community College, construction or maintenance of the Symphony Hall, Lyric Theater, Hippodrome, Center Stage, the Convention center, the Light-rail, Subway, and city Bus system, the Science center, all City road and bridge maintenance, the Aquarium expansion, the Airport, the port facilities --- are/were all subsidized by citizens throughout Maryland. By contrast, residents of Detroit, MI, do not have such a generous state government, hence their city is bankrupt.

Blair Lee, I believe, is the son of the former Acting Governor of MD.

Last edited by slowlane3; 10-11-2013 at 12:11 PM..

Old 10-11-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
Yikes, if that's what you consider good schools, well...ok then.
If they arent considered good schools then why are there waiting lists of incoming freshman that are trying to get admitted?? Why is the admission rate so competitive? I know so many people that applied to Towson and Salisbury and were rejected based on the fact that out of 5-6,000 applicants they could only accept 2,000.

Maryland schools arent on the tier of Harvard, Georgetown, Yale, Columbia, etc... But for State schools they are still good. Besides at the end of the day, it doesnt matter where u go, you spent 50,000 for that same business degree the other dude spent for 20,000 at a MD school and youre BOTH in the same office doing the same thing..

Old 10-13-2013, 06:12 PM

544 posts, read 854,974 times
Quote:
If they arent considered good schools then why are there waiting lists of incoming freshman that are trying to get admitted?? Why is the admission rate so competitive? I know so many people that applied to Towson and Salisbury and were rejected based on the fact that out of 5-6,000 applicants they could only accept 2,000.

Maryland schools arent on the tier of Harvard, Georgetown, Yale, Columbia, etc... But for State schools they are still good. Besides at the end of the day, it doesnt matter where u go, you spent 50,000 for that same business degree the other dude spent for 20,000 at a MD school and youre BOTH in the same office doing the same thing..
Because we've devalued the undergraduate degree to the point where we require secretaries to get one, thus artificially inflating the number of people who apply? The bachelor degree has been dumbed down drastically in the last 10 years.

If you think you get the same education at Harvard that you do at Towson or Salisbury, then clearly this is not worth arguing. I'm guessing (based on your grammar) that you like to tell yourself that because it makes you feel better about whatever college you went to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or