U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 01:37 AM

494 posts, read 645,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
As someone who was born and raised in Salisbury. This was mainly controversial for the "treehuggers" however, US 50 through Downtown was terrible before the bypass. It was better now. However, the Centre at Salisbury was the birth of the Bypass as the old Salisbury Mall was in aging decline, not to mention the crime that was happening around there. The North Salisbury Corridor is the Urban Sprawl while Downtown is now under Revitalization.

This was a "trivia" type of debate in the local news paper. If "Delmarva" was a state, it would consist of the following:

Delaware- Kent and Sussex Counties
Maryland- Kent, Caroline, Queen Annes, Talbot, Dorchester, Wicomico, Worcester, and Somerset. (THe Eastern SHore)
Virginia- Accomack and Northampton County

Dover, Salisbury, Easton, Ocean City would be the "major cities" of the State.

The problem would be education. Delaware State, Wesley, Salisbury, UMD Eastern Shore, DelTech and WorWic would be affected.

I highly doubt that this would ever happen. This is as realistic as DC reverting back and giving Georgetown to VA
Thanks for the reply. Good to hear about Downtown. BTW. What did they end up doing with the old mall? I remember when the Centre opened. Was like wow compared to the old mall. Hard to bellieve that has now been over 20yrs. yikes! Went there ( old and new ) often in the winter with my friends when i lived in Ocean City. And yeah the old mall took a huge nose dive once the main stores left for the new mall. Some tried hanging on but yeah you knew the rest of the story. A friend had a store there and it took him forever to move over to the new mall. Had forgotten about the "treehuggers" involvement in that. And YES 50 use to be terrible through downtown. Sorta like it use to be going through Dover before they built the rt1 bypass/freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 AM

6,525 posts, read 11,614,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
It leaves you taking our tax dollars. Montgomery is such a huge cash cow that Maryland would economically collapse without it.
That is actually a big problem as most of Montgomery County's income comes from the federal government and federal jobs which will be cut with the sequester. Because of this dominance, Maryland Democrats have never cared at all about attracting a private sector or being business friendly. Only in Maryland would the state legislature try to openly ban Walmart from entering the state and doing business here which they did indeed try to do a few years back. They masked it under some health care requirement prior to Obamacare. Well American values include capitalism, indepenence and hard work, not dependency and a sense of entitlement which the Democrats here encourage such as with that law. Those are foreign, perhaps European or illegal alien values, not American values.

Because of this federal government centered myopia, Maryland has never been concerned on a statewide level about our crippling business unfriendliness in terms of the private sector, such as how the environmental restrictions have completely destroyed steelmaking and prevented natural gas development, and are tightening the noose around agriculture and fishing on the Eastern Shore such as the attempted recent lawsuit against Perdue chicken and a group of small family poultry farms in Somerset County I believe it was. These things violate the DC are's liberal sensitivities but its about real people's livelihoods but the liberal elite does not care.

And in terms of social issues central Maryland pushes its alien and un-American values on the rest of the state like the recent death penalty ban which places us further among the liberal fringe of states, coupled with the illegal alien Dream Act and all the high taxes. And now there is the gas tax JSUT SO MOCO AND BALTIMORE CITY CAN HAVE MASS TRANSIT. They promote fuel efficient cars and now the revenue is down they want to raise it again....now to promote mass transit.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 AM

Salisbury, Cambridge, and Easton all have plenty of open space around there and can see a lot of growth and business if only the state government will allow them to. I think a freeway bypass can and should also be constructed against Easton annd this can also possibly open up more land to commercial and residential development in Talbot County! A freeway bypass of Cambridge would be harder due to the location on the Choptank River unfortunately. But Route 404 should be widened to 4 lanes in the entire portion from 404 to Denton as that will help releive some of the traffic going to Delaware's beaches.

Carroll County also still has a lot of room for growth, which would make more sense instead of forcing more density into already crowded areas of Baltimore County and Howard County where most people really do NOT want the additional density or population.

Finally the gas tax increase also shows the alienation between MoCo and the rest of the state. The liberals are willing to accept the trade off of higher gas taxes in exchange for abortion and illegal immigration and the death penalty appeal and other liberal social issues. But many working class Marylanders cannot afford the gas tax, especially in rural areas.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:13 AM

And I think the Eastern Shore CAN be self sufficient as a state. Look at mostly rural states like West Virginia, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota and Idaho. They are all doing just fine. The economic challenges that rural Maryland faces are also mostly due to Democrat policies from Annapolis that are hostile to agriculture, fishing, and natural resource extraction.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:51 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,031,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
For starter, I don't label myself a liberal or conservative. I use my own judgement. I'm fed up with both parties at this moment. I don't care about abortion and gay marriage. It has no effect on me and it has no effect on you. I think it is hypocritical for conservatives to brag about limited government but want to control how people should live their lives. I'm neutral on the death penalty. As long as they are off the street, I don't care if they are dead or not. I think restriction on gun control is wrong and punish everyone but criminals. I don't hate Hispanics, I don't like illegal immigrants. There is a difference. I don't like the Dream Act or giving them handouts but treating them like crap accomplish nothing. Instead of putting the effort in deporting, I rather take the time to understand why they are here illegally and how they manage to do it and what can we do to reduce it.

I don't considered cheaply built Ryan Homes and crappy strip malls as economic growth. Those cities you listed in Virginia doesn't hold a candle to the revenue the state gains from NOVA but they do actually contribute. Blame the state for allowing developers to build over farm land with their crap. Now you expect the same for other parts of Maryland. You complain about NOVA and the resources they use and then expect Maryland to have McDonalds, Wendy's, Shell Station, some ugly big box store, IHOP, Big Bob's Ford dealer, some ho-hum strip mall and Wal-Mart all lined up for miles on some congested six lane road.

Just as Northern Virginia and some areas of Maryland have figured out, it all comes with a hidden cost in more roads, more schools, more lanes, more people, more infrastructure, more traffic. I am all in favor of improving economic growth in other parts of Maryland but I don't want it to look like NOVA in where developers get to have their way at the expense of the community.

Maryland has always had strict land-use guidelines in place to protect the Chesapeake Bay and farmland way before Glendening. You guys should brush up on your history. PlanMaryland isn't exactly O'Malley's idea. It's mainly just continuing what Glendening and other governors like Mandel and Hughes started. Our infrastructure woes wouldn't been a issue if the state stop spending money it does not have and expect to use the transportation trust fund to balance their budget.

You have to plan and look ahead. Maryland isn't that large of a state but yet one of the most densely populated state and its still growing. Like most county government, they don't think about the need for extra infrastructure or the possible increase in traffic or things like that until the problem becomes unbearable. This happened in Northern Virginia as NOVA was not prepare for the growth they supposedly had the space for.

About the ICC, get a E-ZPass and sign up for those commuter plans or don't use the tolls. No one is forcing you to use toll facilities. If I had a choice to use them, I likely will because I see the benefits over avoiding them if I am unable to. I'm not going to travel 22 miles out of the way and waste gas just to avoid a toll. If I am going to avoid a toll, the alternate path better be nearby. Make your own lunch rather than eating out. If I lived along one of the major roads in Montgomery and had to travel to Laurel or Columbia, you bet I would use the ICC because I-495 and I-270 is no joke. I save more money in gas and in time to get to where I am going rather than stopping and going. The choice is yours.

The focus should be on reducing crime, not restricting it to one place. I don't think cities should be for crime and for the poor only. It should be for everyone to enjoy. It shouldn't have to be run-down. People and their prejudice caused cities to fall in disarray. They took their money with with while those who remained were getting screwed over by real estate agents and couldn't afford to move because they were restricted to the city. By the time drugs became a issue, the damage was already done. Crime is inevitable and it can happen anywhere.

Only two Republican governors was elected in the last 50 years and one of them was just as corrupted as the Democrats today. Don't blame the party, blame the people involved. That goes for both parties. Republicans don't offer no solutions of their own, they just whine about everything the Democrats put on the table just like Congress. They are just as responsible for the condition of Maryland as the Democrats are. Republicans just sit and twiddle their thumbs and watch the chaos happen right before their eyes. We get it, he isn't a good governor but what are they are going to do about it? Continue bad-mouthing him? Where are their proposals? Why don't they come up with a logical explanation of why they oppose in attempt to persuade others rather than just opposing in spite of the Democrats? All of them should be held accountable for their actions or lack thereof.
My new favorite post of the day! I agree wholeheartedly!

Old 03-17-2013, 04:08 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,015,517 times
American values? people are so full of themselves and fickle. They don't know what they want. Both Democrats and Republicans act against their own economic interest for loyalty. You're just too caught up in a party favoritism to notice; As if one party is better than the other when they both got problems.

Politicians don't care about people or principles, they only look out for themselves and trick people into supporting them so they can accomplish their agenda. If Republicans were in control, they'll have their own agendas that they will push on everyone. None of that independence you speak of. People work hard and likely won't have nothing to show for it thanks to politicians. They are all bunch of hypocrites that only care about lining up their pockets and having power. Democrats give hand outs to the poor and illegal or those who don't want to better themselves, Republicans give hands out to the rich, developers, and business who just want to keep money in their pockets; and give people in the rural area this false hope that they will get there someday.

Either way, they are all selfish and don't care about no one but themselves. I am not buying in that American value talk. People have their own interest and look for gullible people to bring along the ride and then toss them to the side when they accomplish their goal.

People livelihood and quality of life is at stake with poorly planned development something developers don't think about. How are people suppose to visit their development when its so inconvenient to get there? Developers get loose and take out land for their lifeless strip malls and other sprawl development which encourages unnecessary lane widening and more traffic. You add more lanes, the traffic has to go somewhere. If the road intersections don't accommodate the wider roads, this results with more congestion than initially.

People that want for more lanes are the ones who don't know how to drive with the lanes they have available. Traffic is stopped ahead and people don't slow down until they are behind the slower car when they should have done it well before that point. Are people that slow that they can't tell whether they are coming up behind a slower moving vehicle? I enjoy the fact that I'm in the only lane moving while everyone else is stopped because they lack perception.

Creating a bypass for the purpose of adding more land for developments defeats the purpose of having the bypass. It's basically a bypass of a bypass as US 50 goes around the actual center of the town You're stuck with the same problem you had before. You want to bypass to bypass the center of the town and get drivers to where they are going. Developers build along US 50 and they got more traffic and a lower speed.

Oh and Wal-Mart sucks. Their employees are grumpy and miserable. Their stores are filthy and they run local stores out of business, you know places where the owner actually knows its customers. That relationship between the store owner and its community is gone.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:58 PM

544 posts, read 854,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Salisbury, Cambridge, and Easton all have plenty of open space around there and can see a lot of growth and business if only the state government will allow them to. I think a freeway bypass can and should also be constructed against Easton annd this can also possibly open up more land to commercial and residential development in Talbot County! A freeway bypass of Cambridge would be harder due to the location on the Choptank River unfortunately. But Route 404 should be widened to 4 lanes in the entire portion from 404 to Denton as that will help releive some of the traffic going to Delaware's beaches.

Carroll County also still has a lot of room for growth, which would make more sense instead of forcing more density into already crowded areas of Baltimore County and Howard County where most people really do NOT want the additional density or population.

Finally the gas tax increase also shows the alienation between MoCo and the rest of the state. The liberals are willing to accept the trade off of higher gas taxes in exchange for abortion and illegal immigration and the death penalty appeal and other liberal social issues. But many working class Marylanders cannot afford the gas tax, especially in rural areas.
So do you want taxes to pay for your grand scheme or do you want to stay with the roads you have? Because the Eastern shore keeps electing politicians who are not advocating for public works projects like that in the name of "low taxes".

The lack of development on the Eastern shore has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with an aging, uneducated population that can't attract business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70
And in terms of social issues central Maryland pushes its alien and un-American values
Good to know that I'm not an American. Welcome to reality, there are a lot of different AMERICAN opinions, and yours are getting left by the wayside. What a fool thing to post.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:16 PM

The Eastern Shore does suffer from the economic and environmental policies pushed by Montgomery County's liberal elite. And now they want a plastic bag tax AND a gasoline tax.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:29 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,146,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
And I think the Eastern Shore CAN be self sufficient as a state. Look at mostly rural states like West Virginia, Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, and South Dakota and Idaho. They are all doing just fine. The economic challenges that rural Maryland faces are also mostly due to Democrat policies from Annapolis that are hostile to agriculture, fishing, and natural resource extraction.
lol at pointing out states like North Dakota and Montana with immensely rich natural resources like natural gas, West Virginia even has coal but is still mostly depressed and poor. Rural Maryland separating from the normal part sounds as smart as Donald Trump's wife leaving him with none of his assets and no alimony

Old 03-17-2013, 07:43 PM
rfp

337 posts, read 548,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
... there are a lot of different AMERICAN opinions, and yours are getting left by the wayside. What a fool thing to post.
I initially thought Tom Lennox 70 was a 70-ish codger reminiscing about the good old days when people knew their place. Later I looked up his curriculum vitae and discovered him to be a youngish (I presume) pharmacy student.

He is going to hit many bumps in his life. How can a kid so young think like a grumpy old man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or