U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 AM
 
661 posts, read 961,407 times
Reputation: 135

Advertisements

So I got a $50 fine for "failure to display registration card upon demand by police officer". I was driving a taxi cab. I use a company car therefore I wasn't able to find the registration card "upon demand" since it was not my car. The officer gave me not even 1 minute to find the card. It was in the glove box all this time inside an envelope. I would not know where to find it exactly because I change cars daily. Does this mean I get a point on my license? It didn't say anything about points. Do I just go ahead and pay the $50 fine instead of fighting this? I was told by fellow cab drivers that the officer didn't really need to ask for registration since it was a commercial vehicle. The officer asked me for my license since I could not find the registration "upon demand". The officer didn't even acknowledge to me that if I can't find the registration card "upon demand", I would get a fine. I guess this is how the police department make their money by being tricky. Had the officer mentioned about a fine for not providing the registration card "upon demand", I would have searched the glove box thoroughly, you know?

So if I pay this fine, it's an admission of guilt. Will this give me points on my license? If I go to court and make an argument and win, I won't have to pay the fine and no points whatsoever. I don't mind paying the $50 if it means no points because going to court is a waste of time already. Any suggestions?

 
Old 03-11-2013, 10:47 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
26,833 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Reputation: 29215
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
So I got a $50 ticket... Any suggestions?
Take a couple hours to sit in on a district court traffic session.
See what happens, what doesn't happen, to who and why.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 03:38 PM
 
2,662 posts, read 2,769,813 times
Reputation: 3093
I'm curious where this happened. I've never had a cop not give me a few minutes to dig the registration out of the glovebox
 
Old 03-11-2013, 04:18 PM
 
309 posts, read 569,658 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
So I got a $50 fine for "failure to display registration card upon demand by police officer". I was driving a taxi cab. I use a company car therefore I wasn't able to find the registration card "upon demand" since it was not my car. The officer gave me not even 1 minute to find the card. It was in the glove box all this time inside an envelope. I would not know where to find it exactly because I change cars daily. Does this mean I get a point on my license? It didn't say anything about points. Do I just go ahead and pay the $50 fine instead of fighting this? I was told by fellow cab drivers that the officer didn't really need to ask for registration since it was a commercial vehicle. The officer asked me for my license since I could not find the registration "upon demand". The officer didn't even acknowledge to me that if I can't find the registration card "upon demand", I would get a fine. I guess this is how the police department make their money by being tricky. Had the officer mentioned about a fine for not providing the registration card "upon demand", I would have searched the glove box thoroughly, you know?

So if I pay this fine, it's an admission of guilt. Will this give me points on my license? If I go to court and make an argument and win, I won't have to pay the fine and no points whatsoever. I don't mind paying the $50 if it means no points because going to court is a waste of time already. Any suggestions?
A registration violation is not a moving violation, therefore in the state of Maryland, no points are assessed. Personally I would pay the ticket, because even if you do go to court you will be paying court costs similar to $50.

There is nothing "tricky" about giving someone a citation for not being able to produce a registration card. Your car or not, you are responsible for it when you drive so you need to be cognizant of where all of the documentation is for the vehicle – for situations like this, or more importantly, if you are involved in an accident. There is no need to inform you that you would be getting a citation if you cannot display it on demand. Police are not going to stand around while you dig through your entire car trying to find something that you have no idea where it’s at.

You were pulled over for something other than the registration violation, and I am willing to bet that whatever it was was a higher fine and probably carried points. So, instead of trying to blame the police department for “trying to make money” off your error, take some personal responsibility for your actions and be thankful that the police officer gave you a break and didn’t cite you for the main reason you were stopped for.

And yes, you are required to display your registration card if you are in a taxi, or any other vehicle for that matter. Don’t take legal advice from your friend as he is incorrect – and a taxi might be a company vehicle, but not a commercial vehicle.
 
Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Mount Airy, Maryland
9,405 posts, read 5,202,941 times
Reputation: 14190
Yeah I'm curious to see why you were pulled over. But I'd also do some research to see if you were in fact required to produce the registration. As tgs posted I'm thinking it is your responsibility regardless of who owns the car.

To answer the question no you do not get points, it's not a moving violation it's more like having a brake light out. But if you do go to court there is always the chance that the officer does not show. If that happens it's thrown out and no you do not pay court costs. But for $50 it may not be worth it.
 
Old 03-19-2013, 05:06 PM
 
661 posts, read 961,407 times
Reputation: 135
well I was pulled over for having 1 headlight busted, which I did get a warning only, when I should have gotten a repair order. Since the officer knew it was a taxi cab, this repair would have been taken care of eventually ASAP. So there was no fine for that like you were guessing. Upon asking me for the registration, I was not even given a minute to look for it as I mentioned it wasn't my car so the officer said immediately that my drivers license only would be fine. This is why I thought it was tricky.

Well the vehicle's registration info. is obtained by looking at the license plate. Since I never gave the officer the registration card, the officer was able to obtain the vehicle registration info. just from the car's plate number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
A registration violation is not a moving violation, therefore in the state of Maryland, no points are assessed. Personally I would pay the ticket, because even if you do go to court you will be paying court costs similar to $50.

There is nothing "tricky" about giving someone a citation for not being able to produce a registration card. Your car or not, you are responsible for it when you drive so you need to be cognizant of where all of the documentation is for the vehicle – for situations like this, or more importantly, if you are involved in an accident. There is no need to inform you that you would be getting a citation if you cannot display it on demand. Police are not going to stand around while you dig through your entire car trying to find something that you have no idea where it’s at.

You were pulled over for something other than the registration violation, and I am willing to bet that whatever it was was a higher fine and probably carried points. So, instead of trying to blame the police department for “trying to make money” off your error, take some personal responsibility for your actions and be thankful that the police officer gave you a break and didn’t cite you for the main reason you were stopped for.

And yes, you are required to display your registration card if you are in a taxi, or any other vehicle for that matter. Don’t take legal advice from your friend as he is incorrect – and a taxi might be a company vehicle, but not a commercial vehicle.

Last edited by thealfa; 03-19-2013 at 05:20 PM..
 
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 PM
 
661 posts, read 961,407 times
Reputation: 135
I was pulled over for a busted headlight, which is nothing more than warning/repair order ticket. Well having a brake light out should not get you a fine but a warning or repair order as well. From what people have told me, showing registration is not really required as it is a commercial vehicle/company vehicle that has all the info. printed all over it. Neither is wearing seat belts are required for a taxi driver. There are rules that tgs might not know and the officer might not know. The officer is just filling out her required ticket quota. The officer had just finished giving another car a ticket when I was pulled over. I drove by and the officer followed me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Yeah I'm curious to see why you were pulled over. But I'd also do some research to see if you were in fact required to produce the registration. As tgs posted I'm thinking it is your responsibility regardless of who owns the car.

To answer the question no you do not get points, it's not a moving violation it's more like having a brake light out. But if you do go to court there is always the chance that the officer does not show. If that happens it's thrown out and no you do not pay court costs. But for $50 it may not be worth it.
 
Old 03-19-2013, 05:25 PM
 
661 posts, read 961,407 times
Reputation: 135
city line, baltimore county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I'm curious where this happened. I've never had a cop not give me a few minutes to dig the registration out of the glovebox
 
Old 03-19-2013, 05:59 PM
 
309 posts, read 569,658 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I was pulled over for a busted headlight, which is nothing more than warning/repair order ticket. Well having a brake light out should not get you a fine but a warning or repair order as well. From what people have told me, showing registration is not really required as it is a commercial vehicle/company vehicle that has all the info. printed all over it. Neither is wearing seat belts are required for a taxi driver. There are rules that tgs might not know and the officer might not know. The officer is just filling out her required ticket quota. The officer had just finished giving another car a ticket when I was pulled over. I drove by and the officer followed me.
A headlight out can either be a warning, a repair order, or a citation, just like the citation you received. Again, let's be thankful he didn't give you a citation for that, too (It's $60.00, which is more than your registration card citation)... or even a repair order which you or someone else would have to take time out of their day to get it signed off.

Yes, I am well aware taxi drivers nor their passengers have to wear seatbelts. And again, your friends are wrong; taxi or not a registration card is required to be displayed upon a traffic stop.

Really? Quotas? Stop trying to find reasons to redirect the blame.
 
Old 03-19-2013, 08:30 PM
 
2,662 posts, read 2,769,813 times
Reputation: 3093
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgs_bg View Post
A headlight out can either be a warning, a repair order, or a citation, just like the citation you received. Again, let's be thankful he didn't give you a citation for that, too (It's $60.00, which is more than your registration card citation)... or even a repair order which you or someone else would have to take time out of their day to get it signed off.

Yes, I am well aware taxi drivers nor their passengers have to wear seatbelts. And again, your friends are wrong; taxi or not a registration card is required to be displayed upon a traffic stop.

Really? Quotas? Stop trying to find reasons to redirect the blame.
Why would you have to take time off to get a repair order signed off. I had one recently for a headlight (almost right in front of house, I actually pulled into my driveway) Once I fixed the headlight (I hadn't realized it was out) I found one of the Deputies that patrols the town, actually at a local gas station, and had him sign it off. Then I mailed it in. If I hadn't run across one of the deputies I would have run by the State Police Barracks/ County Sherriff's office (The Frederick 'Law Mall') and had it signed off. no reason to take time off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top